PDA

View Full Version : 400ex frame 450 motor?

87HONDATRX250X
05-22-2011, 09:22 PM
Hey guys got a question. Ive done a lot to my 400ex and i love the thing! Im racing this year and i want some more power so i was looking at a 450, but i already have my quad set up for racing. So.... how hard would it be to put a 450 motor in it? Thinking winter project. Any thoughts input?

finsteratv
05-22-2011, 09:28 PM
I'd be very interseted in a build like this and how it turns out. cant beat 400ex geometry!

bdubwiley
05-22-2011, 09:31 PM
here you go
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90605&perpage=10&pagenumber=1

JOHNDOE83
05-22-2011, 09:36 PM
If your gonna do a 450 motor, take the extra step and get the crf450r motor!!!

87HONDATRX250X
05-22-2011, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by bdubwiley
here you go
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90605&perpage=10&pagenumber=1

seems like a lot of work :eek2: I was looking for a 450r kick start motor may be that would need little tweaking.

01boneless
05-22-2011, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by 87HONDATRX250X
seems like a lot of work :eek2: I was looking for a 450r kick start motor may be that would need little tweaking.

would be cool for sure lol

bdubwiley
05-22-2011, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by 87HONDATRX250X

i agree, def seems likes a lot of work....but it would b fun project to do, and will rip for sure....i wouldnt mind trying it one day.....i dunno how much the differences would be doing it with the 450r motor/ if any? maybe someone else could shed some light on that

87HONDATRX250X
05-22-2011, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by bdubwiley
i agree, def seems likes a lot of work....but it would b fun project to do, and will rip for sure....i wouldnt mind trying it one day.....i dunno how much the differences would be doing it with the 450r motor/ if any? maybe someone else could shed some light on that

i dont think the frames and mounts from the 400ex and 450r are to much different unlike a dirtbike motor

trailrider894
05-23-2011, 03:41 PM
I am planning on doing a hybrid build next summer!!! I am already starting to collect parts, it'll be a CRF450r motor in a 400ex frame... i will be doing a how to on it...

87HONDATRX250X
05-23-2011, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
I am planning on doing a hybrid build next summer!!! I am already starting to collect parts, it'll be a CRF450r motor in a 400ex frame... i will be doing a how to on it...

That is awesome man! dont know if i cant wait that long tho :blah: Im debating about doing a hybird if its not to difficult or just buying a 450 before next summer. I want something that can pretty much bolt up with a few changes. If there is such a motor

250x_kyle
05-24-2011, 11:51 AM
the easiest conversion so far that ive seen is the yz426f motor in the 400ex. the rear collar on the sprocket side of the motor has to be .24inch longer to align the chain. after that i fabbed up steel front motor mounts using the stock location. added a radiator changed the location of the oil tank. and made new upper and lower motor mounts. i also notched the tube by the rear shock mount and braced it so the intake ligned up better; however, if i could do it all over agian i would change everything but the front motor horns. hopeing to do a build again in a year or so. once i get a new miller tig welder sitting in the grage i will pick up a motor and grab my spare frame out of the shed.

87HONDATRX250X
05-24-2011, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by 250x_kyle
the easiest conversion so far that ive seen is the yz426f motor in the 400ex. the rear collar on the sprocket side of the motor has to be .24inch longer to align the chain. after that i fabbed up steel front motor mounts using the stock location. added a radiator changed the location of the oil tank. and made new upper and lower motor mounts. i also notched the tube by the rear shock mount and braced it so the intake ligned up better; however, if i could do it all over agian i would change everything but the front motor horns. hopeing to do a build again in a year or so. once i get a new miller tig welder sitting in the grage i will pick up a motor and grab my spare frame out of the shed.

Hmmmm. i am probably better off just selling it or parting it out a bit and just buying a 450 then. Id hate to screw something up or run into problems during race season.

250x_kyle
05-24-2011, 12:49 PM
i feel that would be alot easier to do then the crf conversion for someone with little fabrication skill. the only thing i didnt like about it was i got pushed for time and only had two weeks so i didnt have time to build it the way i wanted to.

trxPOWER
05-24-2011, 06:25 PM
if i was you, id take all the aftermarket parts off your quad and put it back to stock. Then sell the quad stock and all the aftermarket parts on like ebay, i think thats the easyest way to get more money out of it. People actully but used aftermarket stuff. then just buy a 450 thats not a cobbled up mess that nobody wants. just IMO.

250x_kyle
05-24-2011, 09:22 PM
finding a 450 that hasent been road hard and put away wet one to many times is easier said then done. ive seen alot of junk forsale lately. honestly it doesnt matter what you buy your going to find something wrong with it after a day or two of riding. its fine to ride stuff but i wont buy it unless i know its owned by a maintence freak. honestly i think you would be fine swaping out a motor with basic fab skills. it may not be the most eleborate job but with minor fab skills it will still be a clean job.

tayyo789
05-24-2011, 10:03 PM
If you're worried about it being too much work, or taking care of it, or it having too many issues then do not build a hybrid. If you don't take your time to do every little piece right, it will cause problems. In my personal opinion, you'd be much better off just getting a 450