PDA

View Full Version : Question about buying a used ATV

rd2005
05-22-2011, 08:41 PM
I look occasionally thru the stolen bikes forum to see if just maybe someone is running around here with a stolen bike. We will be looking in the near future for a used ATV...What happen’s to a legal buyer if they purchase a stolen bike? How do I protect myself when making a possible deal? We purchased 2 used ATV's within the past 2 years. Cash & a Bill of Sale was used to make the transactions. You could get in a whole bunch of trouble for buying a used quad & just being an honest person buying it. I know that if it sounds too good to be true on the price beware & common sense needs to be used when buying a used ATV from an individual. What steps need to be done before making a final sale with an individual with no title?

tri5ron
05-22-2011, 08:48 PM
Personally for myself, if the seller does not have the pink slip/title in his name, then I wouldn't buy it.

but you could always check the vin numbers with the DMV for any stolen reports, and who the actual registered owner is.

slightlybent47
05-22-2011, 09:49 PM
I agree…..No title no sale.

TheLane
05-22-2011, 11:46 PM
Some states dont title quads and other recreational vehicles.

Dependent on what state your in, if its not a titling state you can always run the vin# by calling your local DMV or non emergency police line.

There are also services online that allow you to run a check on the vin but they usually charge a fee.

Another thing your going to want to do, is if your in a state that does not title the quad your going to want to still run a lien check with your local dmv because its very easy for someone to sell a vehicle even if they still owe money on it when there is no title to prove it.

States that dont title vehicles use whats called a UCC ( or uniform commercial code) to register it with the state. one way to help yourself is to ask the seller what state he purchased the vehicle in if he does not have a title and call that dmv for the sole reason that UCC's reported on most states local system and would not be detected until they run a national check when you go to register it.

DnB_racing
05-23-2011, 01:54 AM
I bought new quads and they did not have titles, they had a certificate of origin, and this isn't at all like a title, in other words you dont sign a certificate of origin to the buyer, so basically its lost many times by the first owner as its not needed for much,,,

my quad right now is not titled, and a title isn't required to register, just need proof of ownership and there is ways to run numbers like theLane has said

derekhonda
05-23-2011, 07:07 AM
Cops will come out and run the VIN #'s on the spot or sometimes you have to take it up to the police station. I have done this before, usually they aren't real happy about it but they will do it.

Get a bill of sale only if no title is available (and they sometimes aren't)

To answer your question, if you buy it, and it is stolen, they will repossess it from you, and then you are basically out the money you paid the other guy, or else it is on you to take him to small claims court.

Thats why I would recommend going up to the police department and having them run the VIN. And, usually I will ask the seller if they are ok with that before the meeting, and if they aren't ok with that, then you are better off not buying it anyways.

rd2005
05-24-2011, 10:09 AM
Great info posted here! Our state TN is one that does not require a title on ATV's. I am very informed now & my next purchase of an ATV I will be very careful & know more about what to do to avoid getting myself in trouble. Again great info posted here! Thanks

fastredrider44
05-24-2011, 12:50 PM
KY is also a non-title required state. I have bought several with no title, But a bill of sale is always in order.

quad2xtreme
05-24-2011, 01:44 PM
A signed Bill of Sale at least protects you from being charged with theft if it is a stolen machine. At least you can show that you did in fact pay for it. I try to avoid cash if at all possible by using a bank check or cashier's check made out to the seller. I photocopy it first. I also check the seller's drivers license against the bill of sale. If they had any issue with this, then I'd walk. So far though, I haven't been near a shady deal...quite frankly, I don't buy much used stuff either.

You definitely don't want to be stopped on a stolen machine with the story of "I paid cash to some guy in a parking lot for this quad."

rd2005
05-25-2011, 02:23 PM
You definitely don't want to be stopped on a stolen machine with the story of "I paid cash to some guy in a parking lot for this quad." [/B]

That is exactly what I was worried about. I do like the idea to check out the seller's DL to verify though. Great ideas to protect myself & hopefully help others buying used ATV's. I have printed these comment & put in my ATV info file for when that time comes to get that 3rd ATV....MINE! :D

wilkin250r
05-25-2011, 07:34 PM
Some states are just weird. I'm in a goofy situation because Nevada does indeed offer titles, but there's no registration, so titles really aren't all that common. I've bought and sold several quads without titles. In fact, I have two quads in my possession that DO have titles, but not in my name. Heck, they aren't even in the previous seller's name.

However, I'm right next to California, which is a title and register state. If I buy something from Nevada, no big deal. But if I buy something a few miles down the road from California, if it doesn't have a title, I'm not touching it.

CJM
05-25-2011, 10:19 PM
NJ is the worst, they issue certificates of origin but 99% of the time people lose them since you only need them to register the quad-which about 99% of people dont bother doing.

Bill of sales ok but soem DMVs got a stick up thier rear and want it to be from the last person to register it-and sometimes that isnt the person you got it from.

I got lucky, I found out NO one ever ever ever registered mine. So for all the DMV knows I am the soul owner and the registration is my proof. I sell it I give the person a notarized (important it be notarized) bill of sale.

CHAR250R
05-27-2011, 08:41 AM
Paperwork, paperwork, and paperwork. I take a picture of the sellers license. I call the local cop shop and have them run the VIN. Pay by check or money order. I bought a YZ125 when I was a kid. It turned out to be stolen. I was just as guilty as the person who stole it according to the law. I cooperated 100%. Check, and then check again. Trust me...getting pinched for a stolen ATV is not worth it.