PDA

View Full Version : Best shocks for 400ex?

Steve-o 400EX
02-20-2003, 10:04 AM
What are the best shocks for a 400ex, i do mainly trail riding, hill climbing and a little jumping. I want performance shocks but i dont know what ones would be best for me.:confused:

all responses are appreciated.;)

YZROOSTINYA
02-20-2003, 11:14 AM
non rezzie trip rate works steelers 330 shipped
rezzies 475 - 495 shipped

elka non rezzie trip rate w/ssd 508(the ones you saw in my garage yesday)

rezzies 700
piggy back 850

i would imagine you want a x/c ****ry set up, what i have for mine.

i picked up my elkas from quadshop
getting rear rebuilt by them to, sending it tomorrow.

the works made a bif diff but i felt they were to stiff and they were set up for mx
they were decent and would have been alot better if they were set up for me

but to get them revalved would have cost like 150 or so, i paid 270 for em, sold them for 250 and spent the add'l 258 on the elkas. i like the larger shaft of the elka versus the steeler

works also offers a pro series that is comparable to the higher dollar shocks with alost if not just as good quality.

just keep looking and you shall see.

when we go riding you can take my quad out to see how you like

QuadTrix6
02-20-2003, 11:26 AM
any aftermarket company will be way better than stock, if you can't afford rezzies than get em without and save up and have them put on later

JD400exrider
02-20-2003, 08:06 PM
I am in the same postion. Looking to get some front shocks. I have found that most used ones if not all are set up for MX and not trail or XC. If they are set up for trail or Xc the weight factor is wrong. For what the used shocks are selling for on ebay or on this site they are a decent deal if they fit your weight or riding style. (good luck!) If not by the time you have them re valved you could have bought a new pair made just the way you need them. I am sure the Elkas, TCS, Pep and the others are all great shocks For the money and the type of riding i do I am looking on ordering some works tripple rates set up for my bike and riding. The best price I have found is C&D $330.00 without rezzies. Rezzies can be added latter if needed. About 2-3 weeks to get them. They order from works and have them set up to all the specs you give them.
I support C&D when I can. They are very good on answering any questions on products or tech. Good People, Good Service, Good Price

2000 400 Ex
Several mods- Several more on the way

Steve-o 400EX
02-21-2003, 09:40 AM
Ok, thanks guys.

John, I really liked yours. I'm just checking out what other options i got, but will most likely go with the same ones you have.

hawiianpwr
02-22-2003, 02:07 AM
Yeah steve-o I do the same type of riding as you. I just ordered Works steeler front shocks for my 400 about a week ago. I got them without the rezzies to start out and I always figure that I can add them later.

oynot400
02-22-2003, 02:53 AM
If money is an issue, like most people it is. :eek2: Works make a good low end shock. No matter what you do, anything and everything is better than stock. If you can spend a little more get ressies, they are worth it. One thing I noticed, if you can afford it. Get all 3 shocks or as least get the rear revalved to match the front. When I got my Elka's, the rear needed to fixed. So I ran the stock for a week or so. It did not handle the same at all. I am sure I could of played with it to get it closer, but I got my Elka rear back so it did not matter.
Call the Quadshop or CD Racing for a price.

QuadTrix6
02-22-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Steve-o 400EX
Ok, thanks guys.

John, I really liked yours. I'm just checking out what other options i got, but will most likely go with the same ones you have.

you won't be disappointed, its a bit of a wait but IMHO it was well worth it and hey order them now and buy the time they come you will have the $$ for em :devil

Dave400ex
02-22-2003, 04:01 PM
Well I don't think you will ever find a right answer to this question. It's really your choice and how you will use them. I myself think once the MotoWoz get proven they will be #1. But being in your position I think TCS would be a perfect shock for you. They are much better then Works, and almost just as good as Elka and PEP, if not the same. Plus they are very well priced, and have a short wait.

OutlawEX
02-23-2003, 06:57 AM
Id say the best shocks out there are PEP or AXIS...

But for ur riding type u dont need the best u can get away with works..Elka is a exstremely good shock also

02-23-2003, 07:03 AM
what are u willing to spend? Shocks range from 300 - 1200 for just fronts

02-23-2003, 07:26 AM
For the $500 price tag..works shocks are Sooooooooo much better than stockers it's really money well spent.. I know I have nothing but great things to say about the steelers I ran for 2 years without any problems what so ever...

these elka's ain't bad either...:D

Nausty
02-23-2003, 07:27 AM
whatever you do don't get a rear shock revalve from elka at least. I don't think they are worth the money for the small amt of performce you get out of em'. I blew my rear shock 2 or 3 times and might of bent a shaft after racing and riding a few weeks with no fluid in the shock. I got the same setup as rico.

Steve-o 400EX
02-23-2003, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by QuadMX18
what are u willing to spend? Shocks range from 300 - 1200 for just fronts I dont want to spend any more than like 550 or 600 max. For the riding I do I dont need anything more expensive than that.

Rico, I really like those Elka's, how much did they go for?

Dave400ex
02-23-2003, 09:30 AM
Well for under $600 you could get Works, the Race PEP's, or low end Elka's. Rico's setup was much more then $600. I have the same fronts as him and paid $725 for them...

Steve-o 400EX
02-23-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by WarriorMan
Well for under $600 you could get Works, the Race PEP's, or low end Elka's. Rico's setup was much more then $600. I have the same fronts as him and paid $725 for them...

Maybe I will go with a set of elka's without rezzies.

Dave400ex
02-23-2003, 01:05 PM
Yeah talk to C&D or Jeff they will help you out...

Steve-o 400EX
02-23-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by WarriorMan
Yeah talk to C&D or Jeff they will help you out...

Ok, thanks.:devious: :bandit: :tired: :eek2: :huh

Derek
02-23-2003, 05:00 PM
Tcs is a great shock and is alot of time over looked. There prices arnt an outrage either. Get some info on these shocks.

crap-banshee32
02-23-2003, 05:38 PM
pep or axis, if you cant afford them, go with elkas

Steve-o 400EX
02-23-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Derek
Tcs is a great shock and is alot of time over looked. There prices arnt an outrage either. Get some info on these shocks.

I'll take a look at the tcs's.

Derek
02-23-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by crap-banshee32
pep or axis, if you cant afford them, go with elkas

low end elkas;)

Steve-o 400EX
02-23-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Derek
low end elkas;)

Thats what i'm leaning towards. I think Elkas or works. I think i am gunna go with elka's tho because a friend of mine had works and just got elkas. He said the works were a big difference over stock but not as good as the elka's.

YZROOSTINYA
02-24-2003, 04:20 AM
my fronts were 508 shipped from quadshop and my rebuild rear is 320 shipped from quadshop, the rear shoulbd be done this week and the fronys were here in less than 2 weeks.

the works fronts would have benn bteer but they were not set up for my riding style.

if your looking to stay under 600 you could get non rezzie works and a rebuilt rear for 650 total.

just a thought.

try out my quad when I get it all back together and see how you like.

I took the a-arms,hubs,swingarm,carrier,linkage all apart over the weekend and put in new carrier bearings and re greased everything and also put on my new front shocks. I cant wait to get it all back together!!!!

Steve-o 400EX
02-24-2003, 08:54 AM
Yea i'm anxious to see how urs do. I really like the way they are setup. I will most likely like the setup you have, usually when i find something I like i wont take a chance on buying something different.