PDA

View Full Version : loss of power?

01boneless
05-22-2011, 06:11 PM
ok sorry for starting 2 threads in one day lol so i was riding my 400 at the track the other day and this is what happend.i warmed it up for a while then took it down the drag strip (500 yards) slow and shifted through the gears then i came back and hit it hard ran awsome very powerful!!!! seconed time i hit it hard and power shifted down the strip Then in 5th gear it lost power . it would start easy ,idel and do good till about half throttle and then it kinda mixes between bogging and loss of power??? so i first unhooked the kill switch then when that dident help we cleaned the carb still nothin.so what could it be??? we was thinking the CDI because it has no rev limiter if that makes sence.ps its in my buddies shop .

honda400ex2003
05-22-2011, 06:30 PM
it is possible that the slide for the needle let loose if you didnt check that while you had it apart.

check the compression on it and see where its at. could be an issue with something that went south inside. No oil smell or smoke?

steve

01boneless
05-22-2011, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
it is possible that the slide for the needle let loose if you didnt check that while you had it apart.

check the compression on it and see where its at. could be an issue with something that went south inside. No oil smell or smoke?

steve

good compression and the neddle was fine any ideas?

honda400ex2003
05-22-2011, 06:53 PM
nope lol let me sit on it for a bit. the arm and everything was good on the slide huh? that is usually what happens when it just started dying like that.

just a thought as you were talking about earlier on the cdi stuff:

coil might be going bad or the cdi could be starting to go to i suppose.

probably the coil though, as it gets warm they start missing and not getting spark out correctly. usually from condensation in them or something.

too bad you dont have an extra to try each on it.
steve

01boneless
05-22-2011, 07:32 PM
the track owner whitch is a very nice dude took it to his shop so id say he has parts to try i wish i would have thought to check spark though lol thanks steve

honda400ex2003
05-22-2011, 07:35 PM
might be worth checking or swapping both the coil and the cdi.

one of them is more than likely messed up. my vote goes to the coil first, cdi second.

valves would make it run bad all the time along with a timing jump...

carbs good...

huh... what else to think of on these little buggers?

steve

honda400ex2003
05-22-2011, 07:37 PM
stock on the rev box if possible also.

im not a fan of the aftermarket ones for starting and theres really no need for the extra rpm increase.

though im sure the aftermarkets are cheaper, im just not sure how much lol.

steve

01boneless
05-22-2011, 07:44 PM
no actully the stock are a little cheaper i figured stock because the motor stops making power so why push it lol I imidlity thought timming but he said the same it would start so easy and idel thats why i know the compression is good cause it starts as soon as you hit the switch lol still wished i would have checked the spark he is going to look at it tomarrow lol thanks

honda400ex2003
05-22-2011, 07:50 PM
then by all means get a stocker if you need it.

steve

JOHNDOE83
05-22-2011, 07:54 PM
So it was a continuing problem even after the motor had cooled off?

Or did you just stop riding it after the issue was noticed?

01boneless
05-22-2011, 07:54 PM
then by all means get a stocker if you need it.

steve

lol thanks dude

honda400ex2003
05-22-2011, 07:55 PM
good call there john. i just assumed it was just shut down.

steve

01boneless
05-22-2011, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83
So it was a continuing problem even after the motor had cooled off?

Or did you just stop riding it after the issue was noticed?

thats the thing i dident have time to let it cool and try it because i left it with him to look at. this is the first time i ever have said i hope it still does it when they try to fix it lol thanks dude PS any hits on that motor?

JOHNDOE83
05-22-2011, 08:09 PM
The motor has like 74 views but no bids, I put the price high just to see what happens I think there's people interested for sure but the price just might be to high for now.

on the other hand I just had a bidding war with a guy for some xr side covers...lol. I placed a bid and was the only bidder for the whole duration of the add until the last 3mins when he started bidding, Im hoping that might happen.

My thinking on your motor issue is....

I had this same type of issue one day at the strip, I was changing jets and dropped my 210 in the grass, the only other option was to run the 195.

Long story short, my track times progressivly got slower, the 98 degree heat along with the lean jetting caused it to over heat enough to lose power and be very noticeable in the loss.

After a 20min cool down it would run good for about 5mins then start again to lose power like you are describing, if the mech. cant find out the issue, Id say try to jett up a little bit and see what happens?

01boneless
05-22-2011, 08:14 PM
The motor has like 74 views but no bids, I put the price high just to see what happens I think there's people interested for sure but the price just might be to high for now.

on the other hand I just had a bidding war with a guy for some xr side covers...lol. I placed a bid and was the only bidder for the whole duration of the add until the last 3mins when he started bidding, Im hoping that might happen.

My thinking on your motor issue is....

I had this same type of issue one day at the strip, I was changing jets and dropped my 210 in the grass, the only other option was to run the 195.

Long story short, my track times progressivly got slower, the 98 degree heat along with the lean jetting caused it to over heat enough to lose power and be very noticeable in the loss.

After a 20min cool down it would run good for about 5mins then start again to lose power like you are describing, if the mech. cant find out the issue, Id say try to jett up a little bit and see what happens?

maybe put the air box lid back on ps i does not pop on decel and the plug is dark gret to light tan sooo

honda400ex2003
05-22-2011, 08:18 PM
definitely see what happens with that if he doesnt find anything.

the only thing i would say is that after 2 passes with only 1 hard, i wouldnt think it would be hot enough to cause an issue but i guess it would depend on the temp it was at after your ride. id think that it would have to be well over 250 degree oil temps to cause a problem with something like that but it is hard to say. ive never experienced any issues like that even when running 210-230 degrees.

any idea what temps you were at john? also i have a question for you on my resto thread on your gearing on your 440. im def curious now, these are real issues for any of us no matter what we are doing!

steve

01boneless
05-22-2011, 08:22 PM
definitely see what happens with that if he doesnt find anything.

the only thing i would say is that after 2 passes with only 1 hard, i wouldnt think it would be hot enough to cause an issue but i guess it would depend on the temp it was at after your ride. id think that it would have to be well over 250 degree oil temps to cause a problem with something like that but it is hard to say. ive never experienced any issues like that even when running 210-230 degrees.

any idea what temps you were at john? also i have a question for you on my resto thread on your gearing on your 440. im def curious now, these are real issues for any of us no matter what we are doing!

steve

it was running to good i think to have a jetting issue and ive ran it for hours the last ride befor this one so i dont know. steve ,john do you guys think the coil could be going bad when ran a minute?:confused:

JOHNDOE83
05-22-2011, 08:29 PM
On that day with that jetting after the loss was noticeable enough for me to pull out the temp gun, it was almost 260!!!

That was directly after 3 consecutive runs with no cool down period, after the 3rd run I pulled it to the truck and hit it with the gun.

After riding for 30mins at a time under normal conditions then pulling over and idleing and checking the temp gun while running, it usually runs around 190 on a good day at the cylinder.

honda400ex2003
05-22-2011, 08:30 PM
probably not imo. lol if it didnt do it in 15 minutes it probably wouldnt do it again.

i dealt with that issue on my boat for a long time. it would run fine for ever one day and run 3 minutes one day and have issues. it was finally found that the coil was bad on that but it was a known issue on them from cracking.

though it could be doing it all the time now. lol i hate stuff like that...

steve

01boneless
05-22-2011, 08:31 PM
On that day with that jetting after the loss was noticeable enough for me to pull out the temp gun, it was almost 260!!!

That was directly after 3 consecutive runs with no cool down period, after the 3rd run I pulled it to the truck and hit it with the gun.

After riding for 30mins at a time under normal conditions then pulling over and idleing and checking the temp gun while running, it usually runs around 190 on a good day at the cylinder.

WOW im supprised you dident hurt it bad :eek2:

01boneless
05-22-2011, 08:32 PM
probably not imo. lol if it didnt do it in 15 minutes it probably wouldnt do it again.

i dealt with that issue on my boat for a long time. it would run fine for ever one day and run 3 minutes one day and have issues. it was finally found that the coil was bad on that but it was a known issue on them from cracking.

though it could be doing it all the time now. lol i hate stuff like that...

steve

so cdi or coil would be plausable ?

honda400ex2003
05-22-2011, 08:33 PM
holy hot batman! lol :O:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

thanks for the info man! ive been running right around 200 oil temps around my house but will find out what it runs on the trails soon. i feel that it wont be any hotter than my 416 did with the key in it.

both would be prime candidates for issues.

steve

01boneless
05-22-2011, 08:34 PM
holy hot batman! lol :O:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

thanks for the info man! ive been running right around 200 oil temps around my house but will find out what it runs on the trails soon. i feel that it wont be any hotter than my 416 did with the key in it.

both would be prime candidates for issues.

steve

haha thats what i said lol are those monster coils any good?

honda400ex2003
05-22-2011, 08:37 PM
no better than stock imo. you wont gain anything from them thats for sure. it might be a decent replacement but doesnt increase hp, help out starting, or wipe your butt like it claims lol. at least mine doesnt wipe for me, maybe yours would

hahahahaha
dont worry, im here all night with good ones like that ^^^
steve

01boneless
05-22-2011, 08:39 PM
no better than stock imo. you wont gain anything from them thats for sure. it might be a decent replacement but doesnt increase hp, help out starting, or wipe your butt like it claims lol. at least mine doesnt wipe for me, maybe yours would

hahahahaha
dont worry, im here all night with good ones like that ^^^
steve

but it cant hurt it any though right? guess id still have to carrry TP lol:D ;) :p

honda400ex2003
05-22-2011, 08:40 PM
no it wont hurt anything on it. i have had good luck with mine for almost 3 years.

steve

01boneless
05-22-2011, 08:42 PM
no it wont hurt anything on it. i have had good luck with mine for almost 3 years.

steve

sweet ps on the bright side i got my graphics wooot

honda400ex2003
05-22-2011, 08:47 PM
nice, i saw that in your other thread from last week lol.

steve

01boneless
05-22-2011, 08:50 PM
nice, i saw that in your other thread from last week lol.

steve

man your good lmao heres a vid at the drag track lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42CxUmBbdPU

honda400ex2003
05-22-2011, 08:53 PM
looks cool!

steve

01boneless
05-22-2011, 08:55 PM
looks cool!

steve

it is im supposed to be there this weekend if i get this 400 fixed :)

01boneless
05-24-2011, 11:21 AM
ok heres a update the mechanic said that the carbs fine gas is goodstarts easy but still boggs with throttle and he said its got spark so does that mean the cdi and coil is good? also tomarrow hes checking time and valve clearence thanks

01boneless
05-24-2011, 02:39 PM
bump

honda400ex2003
05-24-2011, 08:40 PM
i guess i would say they are ok if theres spark.

steve

01boneless
05-25-2011, 07:26 AM
i guess i would say they are ok if theres spark.

steve

thanks steve can you think of anything else?

honda400ex2003
05-25-2011, 04:10 PM
not at the moment lol

did you hear of anything else?

steve

01boneless
05-25-2011, 05:29 PM
not at the moment lol

did you hear of anything else?

steve

yup after adjusting the valves, retimeing, and trying a cdi, the bolts on top the carb were striped out and somthing in the carb fell of the needle I think its fixed.

honda400ex2003
05-25-2011, 05:49 PM
so basically what reply 2 of the thread suggested to check?

lol steve

01boneless
05-25-2011, 06:40 PM
so basically what reply 2 of the thread suggested to check?

lol steve

i dont now might have been i dident work on it lol i assumed if the carb was apart that would have been noticed. he was one of the nicest mechanics though he even robbed parts of his own but anyway .thanks for the help steve and you to john

honda400ex2003
05-25-2011, 08:44 PM
sounds like it worked out well for you and you had a great guy helping you out!

glad to hear you got it working again!
steve

01boneless
05-25-2011, 08:46 PM
thanks steve for the help

honda400ex2003
05-25-2011, 09:13 PM
at least all of the maintenance is done on it for a while. thats quite a bit of stuff to do. you will be good for the riding season at least with the valve adjustment and cleaning everything.

if the timing was off that was probably the issue. you didnt say specifically if it was off just that it was checked.

steve

01boneless
05-25-2011, 09:16 PM
at least all of the maintenance is done on it for a while. thats quite a bit of stuff to do. you will be good for the riding season at least with the valve adjustment and cleaning everything.

if the timing was off that was probably the issue. you didnt say specifically if it was off just that it was checked.

steve

lol ya i got maintenance down lol and no the time was spot on lol the valves were good just a tad loose . and the good thing is he just charging me for the carb issue lol see how somthing so simple could have costed alot to try and fix lol

honda400ex2003
05-25-2011, 09:20 PM
definitely, thats why i do my own maintenance. my local shop is 70 an hour. i put about 50 hours in on mine in the past 3 weeks. they would probably have to charge at least 40 on it to do the same thing with the proper tools and such. I take my time and make sure it is correct. even at 40 hours, i will hardly make that much working most of the summer. id have more money invested in my 03 than its worth. lol might as well trade it in and buy new at that point.

i cant afford to take it in and have the idiots at my dealer work on it and get stuff wrong. I pretty much know what i need to start with if something happens on any of our machines. they are parts changers, not diagnostic people. if one thing doesnt work they bolt on the next and just keep charging for it. which, isnt right but thats what they freaking do...

steve

01boneless
05-25-2011, 09:23 PM
definitely, thats why i do my own maintenance. my local shop is 70 an hour. i put about 50 hours in on mine in the past 3 weeks. they would probably have to charge at least 40 on it to do the same thing with the proper tools and such. I take my time and make sure it is correct. even at 40 hours, i will hardly make that much working most of the summer. id have more money invested in my 03 than its worth. lol might as well trade it in and buy new at that point.

i cant afford to take it in and have the idiots at my dealer work on it and get stuff wrong. I pretty much know what i need to start with if something happens on any of our machines. they are parts changers, not diagnostic people. if one thing doesnt work they bolt on the next and just keep charging for it. which, isnt right but thats what they freaking do...

steve

ya i lucked out and found a nice honest person but belive me theres some that will realy get ya some will tell ya you need stuff then when bought they go to the next thing instead of acully working on them lol