PDA

View Full Version : Can i put any cooler i want on my 400?

speedy400
02-20-2003, 09:43 AM
I was just wondering can you hook up any cooler for my oil cooler I want? Say I had a banshee radiator and somehow I mounted it around the area where the other one is, of course I'd need a bigger oil tank. Would it matter if it was originally liquid cooling radiator and you switched it to an oil radiator for the 400ex? thanks-darren

Big - D Racing
02-20-2003, 12:35 PM
you can't use a coolant radiator as an oil cooler. You can buy secondary oil cooler from any auto shop. Just go get a car's transmission oil cooler, that will work. Just make sure it fits.

400grl
02-20-2003, 12:46 PM
Yeah, I would think they make a radiator out of different materials than they would an oil cooler.........I'm going to order an auto oil cooler from JEGS and replaced my stock one....it's larger, but should mount well - and it's got fins, like the engine...I know several people who have done that. You might need to get some custom hoses or fittings, though, depending on what you buy.

YLW400
02-20-2003, 02:03 PM
This may be a silly question, but have any of you actually had your performance decreased due to the motor running hot? I mean we ride here when it is like 95 degrees, with a 100% humidity. I have had no loss of power or anything.

Big - D Racing
02-20-2003, 02:12 PM
Does Jegs have a website?

mxracer111
02-20-2003, 02:15 PM
the coooler you keep it the longer it will last ....the oil breaks down inder intense heat....and wont work as well....so cooler is better....here is a pic of the cooler im using for my yz motor....make sure you get a similar cooler specifically and engine or transmission oil cooler..... if you get something with really large tubes....for instance a banshee radiator...i would think the oil pump wouldnt build enough pressure to push the oil back to your motor.

YLW400
02-20-2003, 02:22 PM
I know the viscosity decreases under heat. Would someone benefit off of it only running like 20 min motos?

mxracer111
02-20-2003, 02:24 PM
well...im not an oil expert..... but i dont see how it could hurt.... i know i beat the **** out of my quad on the track.... i dont want to have to worry about my oil when im on the track...now this is one less thing for me to worry about casue i know shes running as cool as i can possibly make it so i can push that motor as hard as i want

YLW400
02-20-2003, 02:27 PM
I am not either....lol.....Hey can I hang out in your garage, drink beer and look at the quads?...lol

mxracer111
02-20-2003, 02:31 PM
**** ya .....everyone else does..... i am getting into building custom quads for people..... slowly starting my own business... if your in southeast Pa maybe i can help you out..... also can get some deals on a lot of good parts.

dbelve
02-21-2003, 03:28 PM
four stroke tech makes an oil cooler and its cheap its 115$

http://www.fourstroketech.com/fst_main.htm

go to the new product release

400grl
02-21-2003, 03:44 PM
I ride in the desert, and it gets HOT here in the summer......I can definately tell when I start losing power due to heat. Basically, my first lap is nice and quick, then after that they start getting a little slower....then they kind of stay there. Until you stop and rest for a minute. Then, when you start going again, it's like -WHOA!!! - you just hit the turbo button!!! You don't realize the power loss until you let it cool for a second. Sure enough, after the first lap, it starts lagging a little again........

The website for Jegs is www.jegs.com I'm going there right now!

JD400exrider
02-21-2003, 10:22 PM
That cooller at fourstroke tech looks sweet. I would assume they would have every thing to hook it up looks like a good deal. The only problem it looks liike i may have is the screen hitting my steering dampner. The price seems good. Is anyone using one.
Thanks for the info.

oregonrider89
02-23-2003, 10:30 PM
I have the FST cooler and it works really well. My 440 runs noticably cooler with the kit. Its well worth the money. The instructions that come with it are terriable though.

oregonrider89

buckeye400ex
02-24-2003, 06:56 AM
I haven't ordered a cooler from FST yet, but keep in mind, installation includes, drilling and tapping your clutch case and your valve cover case on top of the engine. You run two NEW oil lines to the cooler. Sounds like the trick set up for sure but I am not too comfortable drilling and tapping my cases.
Just an fyi.....

oregonrider89
02-24-2003, 10:33 AM
If you don't want to do your own tapping take the parts into a local machine shop. They could do it without any trouble, probobly for cheep.

oregonrider89

roostu
02-24-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by 400grl
I ride in the desert, and it gets HOT here in the summer......I can definately tell when I start losing power due to heat. Basically, my first lap is nice and quick, then after that they start getting a little slower....then they kind of stay there. Until you stop and rest for a minute. Then, when you start going again, it's like -WHOA!!! - you just hit the turbo button!!! You don't realize the power loss until you let it cool for a second. Sure enough, after the first lap, it starts lagging a little again........

The website for Jegs is www.jegs.com I'm going there right now!

Yep... I live in Tucson Arizona and power loss due to heat is terible. The cooler you can keep the oil/engine (the oil cools and lubricates the engine) the better.

~Roost-U