PDA

View Full Version : Any of you Walsh guys ever broke a shock tower?

gtilley45
05-21-2011, 08:49 PM
I did today. :confused:

It broke right above where the big bolt is welded to the piece that the top shock bolt goes through. It took out my top radiator hose and bent my radiator shroud too.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd132/gtilley45/shocktower.jpg

hontrx265r
05-22-2011, 10:43 AM
I'd say that is probably something that doesn't happen often, take a picture of the end of it. does it have rust part way across? signs of being cracked previously? You know, you need to take that bike apart and completely go through it. Even if you don't p.c. it, it would be good reassurance everything is safe. I know you havent had a chance to do much since you go it.

gtilley45
05-22-2011, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by hontrx265r
I'd say that is probably something that doesn't happen often, take a picture of the end of it. does it have rust part way across? signs of being cracked previously? You know, you need to take that bike apart and completely go through it. Even if you don't p.c. it, it would be good reassurance everything is safe. I know you havent had a chance to do much since you go it.

I know I'd never heard of it before. I'll get some more pics when I get back home later. I didn't see any rust on it but the break looked funny. I don't really know how to explain it, but there was like a line across the break. Kinda like it was already cracked, but there wasn't any rust or anything on it.

I am planning to go through it pretty soon. I'm still trying to get everything lined up so I don't have to wait for parts when I tear it down since we're right in the middle of our season. I've GOT to find out why it isn't running right. It's driving me crazy. I've been through the carb, changed jetting, drained the gas and cleaned the tank (thought water in the gas could have been the problem and the tank was pretty dirty), checked the plug boot and everything I know of. When I ride it around the house, it seems like it runs pretty good, but I load it up and go to a race and it runs like absolute garbage. So I guess I'll have to take it to Norris at Quinn Motorsports and let him fix it. I'm gonna call Walsh tomorrow to see what a new shock tower will cost, and try to get a new radiator hose....and hopefully I can carry my bike to Quinn soon so he can figure out why the damn thing won't run right.

gtilley45
05-22-2011, 07:44 PM
Just got a couple more pics. It had some light rust on it, but that could have been from where I washed the quad this morning and it sat in my trailer all day until a couple hours ago. I couldn't really tell for sure. But I am positive that I didn't see any rust on it yesterday when I first found it. You can kinda see the line I was talking about in the break. It looks kinda weird to me, almost like it was cracked there. But then again, I didn't see any rust around it yesterday but there was rust on it this evening when I looked.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd132/gtilley45/shocktower2.jpg

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd132/gtilley45/shocktower3.jpg

jrspawn
05-22-2011, 07:54 PM
Never had this happen or seen it happen either. Like 265r said, it would be a VERY good idea to go over it very soon. If im not mistaken thats Diver's old quad.

gtilley45
05-22-2011, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by jrspawn
Never had this happen or seen it happen either. Like 265r said, it would be a VERY good idea to go over it very soon. If im not mistaken thats Diver's old quad.

Yeah, it is. From what I understand Walsh originally built it as a 426 for Diver, and it was later changed over to a 450. I was planning on doing a rebuild probably next month, I'm just trying to get everything lined up so I don't have to wait on parts. I've already got new nerfs, new wheels and tires, and a few other new parts...mostly odd and ends stuff I wanted to change. But we're right in the middle of our season and I HOPE I can do it without missing any races. Plus now it's looking like I'm gonna have to take it to somebody to figure out why it runs like crap. It's got me stumped, but that's not really that hard when it comes to motors. I'm pretty decent at suspension and chassis set up, but motor/electrical/carb issues get over my head REAL quick. LOL :D