PDA

View Full Version : 05 450R - splitting the bottom end...

Xplorer99
05-19-2011, 09:40 PM
hey guys i had a couple questions if someone could help me out. my buddy needs to replace his case...chain came off and cracked it. someone mentioned to him that you need special tools... what special tools would i need? hes got an 05 450R kick start. anything i should know before i tear into this? iv never opened a bottom end. i did the top end and clutch side of my 400ex and didnt have any trouble. i have the honda manual for the 450. any help is much appreciated! Thanks!

Rich250RRacer
05-19-2011, 10:03 PM
You will need a special socket (common Honda item, looks like a miniature 4wd socket) to remove the balancer gear retainer nut, and the crank will need to be pressed out of the left side. A crank puller will be needed to install the crank in the left side when you're ready to reassemble.

Rich250RRacer
05-19-2011, 10:05 PM
Almost forgot the flywheel puller with the crank protector cap.

Xplorer99
05-19-2011, 10:16 PM
balancer nut tool: http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=140&navTitle=Tools%2FShop&webCatId=22&prodFamilyId=27659

crank puller: http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=140&navTitle=Tools%2FShop&webCatId=22&prodFamilyId=17166

flywheel puller:
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=140&navTitle=Tools%2FShop&webCatId=22&prodFamilyId=17329

are these correct?

thanks again!

nkillian9
05-20-2011, 12:11 AM
its nice to have a case splitter as well, i dont have a honda, so it may not be as bad as some ive seen

Xplorer99
05-20-2011, 12:11 PM
ya the case splitters are too expensive, but it all adds up. seems a case saver would have been cheaper huh? lol

so when you seperate the cases, do all the parts fall out or anything? haha. its not too hard of a job is it?

MX450
05-20-2011, 03:54 PM
GET A HONDA SERVICE MANUAL

U should not need a case splitter they come apart pretty easily, you want to lay the left side down and pull the right side off of it.

Also, the spanner nut tool listed above will not work it is 20mm, for the 04-05 bikes you need the 24mm tool. Motion pro makes a 24mm tool BUT it is not deep enough. You need to buy this (trust me i know i bought the MP tool first)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Counter-Balancer-Clutch-Hub-Spanner-Honda-24mm-20mm-/350218126466?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item518aa08482

eastside 400
05-20-2011, 05:25 PM
you just have to make the motion pro one a tiny bit deeper with a large drill bit...i ran into the same thing

wckedclownz69
05-20-2011, 10:41 PM
i just took a dremel to the spanner nut where it is punched in.. the took a air gun to it.. don't really need special tools.. just a brain.. just lay the tranny side down and pull the other case off.. if not the tranny will fall out everywhere.. the only trouble i had was finding the right size puller for the the fly wheel and i had to heat it to get it off..and all i used for the crank was a rubber mallet.. i dont like spending money on stuff you don't need...

DnB_racing
05-21-2011, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by wckedclownz69
i just took a dremel to the spanner nut where it is punched in.. the took a air gun to it.. don't really need special tools.. just a brain.. .. i dont like spending money on stuff you don't need... common that's a hack job!!!

and dont reuse head gaskets some people do with no issues, but you are changing the clearance when you do, so you should always check the squish to make sure...

as stated you CAN do it without the proper tools, but it wont be a quality job, tools are an important part of the job, get the right ones and you will have them in your box forever,this is one place you shouldn't be cheap,dont cut corners do it right,

but that's just my opinion, I work on other people quads and wouldnt think of cutting corners, but its your quad do what you want!

ask your self would you want someone else doing that to your quad?

Xplorer99
05-21-2011, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by DnB_racing

but that's just my opinion, I work on other people quads and wouldnt think of cutting corners, but its your quad do what you want!

ask your self would you want someone else doing that to your quad?

i broke my clutch hub by trying to use regular tools. at the cost of a 20dollar clutch tool i had to buy a new clutch hub...i know the importance of the right tools.

and yes being its not my wheeler.. i want the right tools. and yes once you buy the tool you have it forever for future projects. alot of my friends have been asking me to help fix their wheelers, so ill most like be using the special tools again.

thanks for the help. iv never opened the bottom end on anyhting, i have heard some horror stories, but then agian the same people told me the top end was hard, and it was a piece of cake for me haha.

DnB_racing
05-21-2011, 07:39 AM
dont get me wrong... there are definatly some tools that you dont need,

like the penny instead of the gear holder, but if its something that can cause damage, then spend the money for the tool

wckedclownz69
05-21-2011, 08:32 AM
lol i made my own gear holder.. and you can still do a perfect job it just takes more time.. and if you know how to use your own tools you can do it right..ive never grown up with much money.. so you learn to do it right with what ya have.. and don't get me wrong.. ive broke stuff not doing it right with the wrong tool.. but your learn from your mistakes.. and if its someone else's stuff, then i try to use the right stuff

KEVIN132
05-21-2011, 11:52 AM
just buy the tools and do it rite!! i bought them all and you know im glad i did!! people borrow them and stuff as well. i never have an issue and all my stuff comes apart mint. and goes back together mint. you save yourself so much money doing it yourself the $ you save bought all the tools first time..
the correct tools always make it so much faster and easier and better!!:)

eastside 400
05-21-2011, 06:45 PM
the clutch hub tools are a pain sometimes, easist and best clutch holder tool is a fiber and steel plate riveted to each other. way easy to use then the tool... i just use an aluminum washer to hold gears from spinning. soft coins work well too.