PDA

View Full Version : carrier bolt

01boneless
05-18-2011, 08:01 PM
ok i was pullin some maintence on the quad today and needed to adjust the chain. so i loesend 3 of the 4 carriers bolts on the swing arm and the 4th stripped out inside where the allen wrench goes . what to do ? and how tight should the chain be im thinking 1 1/4 from the middle of the chain is that right or not? ps steve im gonna replace the tentioner

hocman123
05-18-2011, 08:09 PM
i would get a pair of vise grips and lock it down on the outside of the bolt a tight as u could get it and it should turn with out any major issues as long as its tight. i use this method all the time for stripped bolt heads.

and u are right on about the chain slake

CJM
05-18-2011, 08:10 PM
Spray it very good with PB blaster and heat the sucker up with a small torch. Then vise grip it off. Make sure they are SUPER tight on there and thats that.

01boneless
05-18-2011, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Spray it very good with PB blaster and heat the sucker up with a small torch. Then vise grip it off. Make sure they are SUPER tight on there and thats that.

ok thanks guys ohh and another questioni got to take the exaust of to get mt tentioner out but when i take off the exaust from the head the stud and nut comes off is this normal or bad? like im thinking lol

CJM
05-18-2011, 09:35 PM
Yes is bad. be smart and dont make the same mistake I did long ago tho.

Take the entire stud off with the nut, throw them away (might be able to salvage the nuts if you put it into a vise) and order new studs and nuts. Then take two regular nuts that fit the stud and back them into eachother. Tighten the stud on and then undo the outer nut first and the inner one will follow. Voila studs on.

Otherwise you may snap the stud off in the head like I did and have to repair it by drilling and tapping it.

chronicsmoke
05-19-2011, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by hocman123
i would get a pair of vise grips and lock it down on the outside of the bolt a tight as u could get it and it should turn with out any major issues as long as its tight. i use this method all the time for stripped bolt heads.

and u are right on about the chain slake

I would us vise grips too, but before I tried it with the grips, you should put one of the good bolts on the other side to take some tension off of the one that's stripped.. if it's not stripped too bad try and use the allen key and the vise grips together.

I've always taken them off a little at a time to evenly release the tension..

Hope it works out for you!

I have my chain adjusted with a 1/2'' play up and a 1/2" play down..

2001400exrida
05-19-2011, 01:27 PM
yeah like chronic smoke said, put the bolts back in, if not the other side bolt, just put them both in on the otehr side and get them snug so there's not so much pressure on the one you're trying to remove.

As far as the exhaust studs, that's typical, you don't have to go to the extent of buying new ones if the ones u pulled out are still ok.

I just screw them back in there by using 2 nuts backed up to each other just like CJM was explaining.

those exhaust studs are a pain int he rear. right now i have 3 sticking out of my head and one that comes off with the nut.