PDA

View Full Version : shifting issue. quad is pain to get into neutral sometimes

Hondaman88
05-18-2011, 04:34 PM
why is my quad doing this? what do i need to repalce?
i was thinking the clutch plates are hanging up. it also shifts kinda hard

my quad is a 2006 trx450er

skippy1999
05-18-2011, 05:55 PM
sds like the basket..

DnB_racing
05-18-2011, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Hondaman88
why is my quad doing this? what do i need to repalce?
i was thinking the clutch plates are hanging up. it also shifts kinda hard

my quad is a 2006 trx450er what are you running for oil? and how often are you changing it?

Hondaman88
05-18-2011, 07:17 PM
well the shop put maxima gear oil in it. can member the specs. im not at my place to look at them either.
last time it was changed was when i got the starter one way clutch fixed which was about 7 months.
but the quad has been doing this since i bought it. i was thinking the guy i got the quad from didnt know how to shift or he was speed shifting and not using the clutch

eastside 400
05-18-2011, 07:29 PM
is it hard to get into neutral all the time or only when its warmed up? sounds like its you oil though, the clutch usually doesnt effect getting it into neutral unless its inoperative all together. i would change the oil in the trans first and go from there, shell rotella T 15w40 white bottle works really good with clutch issues

jkiserracing
05-18-2011, 08:34 PM
A very simple check is: make sure that you dont have too much play upon the clutch lever. So, if it wasnt adjusted in enough then you wouldnt be engaging the clutch all the way...........making it both hard to get into and out of gear.

DoonRider
05-19-2011, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by jkiserracing
A very simple check is: make sure that you dont have too much play upon the clutch lever. So, if it wasnt adjusted in enough then you wouldnt be engaging the clutch all the way...........making it both hard to get into and out of gear.

X2

wckedclownz69
05-21-2011, 08:41 AM
mine starts to do this if i don't change the oil for awhile.. after i rebuilt my motor i change my oil all the time and never have this problem now.. i run gn4..motor and tranny mix..

motoboy66
05-26-2011, 08:56 AM
More than likely your clutch plates ar warped. This is usualy when this happens. Get the honda OEM clutch kit and all your trouble will be solved. You must replace all the plates, both the fibers and the steals. Even if just one plate is warped it will make it hard to get into nuetral when running.

DnB_racing
05-26-2011, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by motoboy66
More than likely your clutch plates ar warped. This is usualy when this happens. Get the honda OEM clutch kit and all your trouble will be solved. You must replace all the plates, both the fibers and the steals. Even if just one plate is warped it will make it hard to get into nuetral when running. warped clutch plates cause engagement issues more then shifting issues,

in other words a warped or bent plate will cause the quad to creep when you have the clutch pulled in or the clutch just wont disengage,
yes if the clutch doesnt disengage you cant shift, but it will act like if you pull your lever in it doesnt make a difference,
so if it doesnt creep its not bent plates

racing12
06-12-2011, 11:28 PM
i've got an issue with my clutch. once i pull the lever in it barley moves freely. i tried to adjust the clutch down low and either way i went it didnt make a difference?

born2ride14
06-13-2011, 11:41 AM
Grooved cluctch basket, Have you tried reving it up a lil and shifting into neutral?