PDA

View Full Version : lonestar swingarm problem

hartwill
05-17-2011, 08:33 PM
I have what I believe to be a lonestar swing arm, my problem is the grease fitting comes very close to the case on my motor. The last one in the swinger was busted off and I'm assuming its only gonna happen again. Is this common? I'm assuming the only cure is to take it out after greasing, and replace it with a small pipe plug. What do you guys think?

wilkin250r
05-17-2011, 09:04 PM
I've seen something about this problem, recently. And the solution was to grind away the area the grease zerk was close to.

I can't remember if it was specifically a 250r swingarm, but I'm sure it was 250r-related, because why else would I read it? (but I'm still not 100% certain)

But for the life of me, I can't find it again.

hartwill
05-17-2011, 09:12 PM
I can't understand why they wouldn't just put it at the same angle on the back side instead of the front. I don't think I'm gonna do any grinding on the case. I think I like my solution better than that but its a bad design all together.. I would be interested in reading that thread if you find it though..

wilkin250r
05-17-2011, 10:54 PM
Okay, I found it. It's not the 250r, it's on the 450R and 400EX A-arms, you gotta grind a small section out of the frame on those to clear the grease zerk.

All I remembered was Lonestar, grease zerk, and the solution was to grind away to make clearance. Then when you posted this, it sparked, but I couldn't remember the whole thing.

I thought it was 250r-related, sorry. I guess sometime I'm just not all that helpful. :ermm:

hartwill
05-17-2011, 11:23 PM
hey, no problem. with as much as you read on here your bound to mix up a few things. lol, I dont know how you keep anything straight. thanks for the input though. Ill have to post a pic tomorrow, and see where that gets me. thanks again.

hartwill
05-18-2011, 03:31 PM
Here's a pic, anybody else have this problem?
http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x407/hartwill/Snapbucket/597d1f38-orig.jpg

esstrx250r
05-18-2011, 04:54 PM
Maybe I'll be having the same issue with my new LSR swingarm, already having this problem with my new LSR A-Arms.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c28/esseclipse/DSC00357.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c28/esseclipse/DSC00349.jpg

mx91a
05-18-2011, 05:17 PM
How about replacing the zerk(s) with a short hex set screw? That should give you plenty of clearance then just swap them out when you want to grease it. My roll design swingarm and a-arms don't have any grease fittings, I just pack them with a good waterproof grease and they're good to go.

hartwill
05-18-2011, 06:24 PM
Esstrx, see how yours is on the back side? I think that should be fine. Mine is in the front which is just poor design to me.
Mx91 I think that's what I'm gonna have to do but grease fitting use pipe thread which is a little different than a regular bolt or screw..

DnB_racing
05-18-2011, 06:54 PM
on the arms i had to use a plastic push in type of thing... if I used a threaded plug it didnt tighten up unless it hits the pivot sleeve, and then it would bind the sleeve,,,, the thing I used was a plastic type plug that locks in when pushed in

D Bergstrom
05-18-2011, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by hartwill
grease fitting use pipe thread which is a little different than a regular bolt or screw..

They are 1/4 - 28 thread. I don't run zerks in anything, I remove them and use allen set screws to plug the hole. Just these little guys:

http://www.houser-racing.com/SPD/131918-set-screw-1-4--x-28--all-bearing-carriers--2-required--sold-individu--4DD0000-1122931163.jsp

I just get them at the local hardware store. Just make sure you don't tighten them all the way in untill they stop. When they stop they are against the pivot sleeve, not a good thing. I just thread them in a few turns, have never had one fall out.

Doug

hartwill
05-18-2011, 07:03 PM
Thanks guys, hey dnb I'm interested in that plastic plug you speak of. I just can't fathom their thinking of putting it in this position. It boggles my mind..

DnB_racing
05-18-2011, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by hartwill
Thanks guys, hey dnb I'm interested in that plastic plug you speak of. I just can't fathom their thinking of putting it in this position. It boggles my mind.. the one I used looked like this and I got it at a ace harware store it was for 1/4 holes and they have been in for about a year now

esstrx250r
05-19-2011, 06:13 AM
Hartwill, I think mine is in the same spot as yours, I have the quad on a stand right now and dont have the shock hooked up yet. I'm waiting on my TM sliders so my build is on hold...

hartwill
05-19-2011, 05:42 PM
Oh, I see it now. Is that an 86 style swinger? If so does it have a grease fitting on the other side as well?

esstrx250r
05-20-2011, 07:48 AM
88-89 style. I have to cap my a-arms too. When I called them, they told me that the a-arms were originally designed for an aftermarket frame. In my opinion they should make it work for either or supply plugs to use if you have a stock frame. Also my swingarm from them looks like it is 22 years old like the quad, the powdercoat job was awful.