PDA

View Full Version : turbo as a muffler?

woodsracer144
05-17-2011, 07:16 PM
theres some thing about how a turbo is a muffler and i cant seem to find it on the internet, I got pulled over for no reason and was told i have to put a muffler in my diesel and its not even that loud.

thanks for the help!

trx310R#24
05-17-2011, 07:24 PM
just say it has one :p

FHKracingZ
05-17-2011, 07:45 PM
hmm you sure your reading that right? there are such setups as rear mounted turbos.

Ruby Soho
05-17-2011, 08:03 PM
depends where you live, im pretty sure around here as long as it comes out any where behind the cab its legal.. i recently got pulled over for a stop sign, and the oh so kind officer told me i should be getting a "$250 ticket for my exhaust pipes being to loud" (6" stacks at the time) and i just pretended like i cared what he had to say and he let me go..

what they dont understand is the older diesels even with mufflers are still loud.. the only thing you cant here is the whistle lol

BoneStockHonda
05-17-2011, 08:26 PM
A turbo does act as a muffler but I've never heard the law considering it one.... I'm interested to see what someone digs up.

woodsracer144
05-17-2011, 10:15 PM
I know there was a thing on cumminsfourm but i cant find it, i thought some one on here might know what i was talking about also.

a muffler is anything that is after the maniflod that has exhaust passing thought it that does something i cant remember how it was worded.

400exrider707
05-18-2011, 09:52 AM
I know in NY state here the turbo is considered a muffler. I've seen this before myself.

The only law is that like Ruby Soho said, exhaust has to exit behind the cab of the truck. With that said, I know people who daily drive with hood stacks for crying out loud...

If your truck came with a cat and you took it off though, that's a federal law that says you can not do that, though everyone does on these.

400exrider707
05-18-2011, 09:57 AM
Just found this... looks like pretty much anything is illegal haha

Originally Posted by NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law and Majin's first post

Section 375. Equipment.

Subsection 31. Mufflers and exhaust systems. Prevention of noise.

Every motor vehicle, operated or driven upon the highways of the state, shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler and exhaust system in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise and no such muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cut-out, bypass, or similar device.

No person shall modify the muffler OR exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor or exhaust system of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler or exhaust system originally installed on the vehicle and such original muffler and exhaust system shall comply with all the requirements of this section.

A muffler is a device consisting of a series of chambers or baffle plates, or other mechanical design for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine, and effective in reducing noise.

An exhaust system is a series of mechanical devices for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine and expelling it into the atmosphere.

deathman53
05-18-2011, 10:05 AM
most diesels have a cat, that is one of the thing they look for in Diesel inspection stops. I got pulled into a few. Yes, I was told to remove it and straight pipe it, will make more power, but at what cost??? When I got pulled in, they checked for a cat and fuel(made sure it was taxed). The new diesels are so quiet, you can't even tell they are. My 97 powerstroke is loud, even the 06 ones are loud. After 07, a different type of fuel(better for the earth?????) and they have a additive that is injected to stop and black smoke and burn even cleaner. They also have particle filters, but its funny, when the filters show clogging, they dump raw diesel down the pipe to clean the filters???????

muddy400EX
05-18-2011, 10:41 AM
as long as theres harleys rippin around that can wake the dead, ill be running straight pipes!

woodsracer144
05-18-2011, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by muddy400EX
as long as theres harleys rippin around that can wake the dead, ill be running straight pipes!

agreed!

thats one thing that pissed dad off all the time is the harleys can be so loud in town but a semi couldnt use a jake brake! just plain stupid.

bbender85
05-18-2011, 12:45 PM
to the OP, you're probably thinking of a discussion that a turbo is considered a spark arrestor, which is true. a "muffler" is relative, really.

ZBlaster
05-20-2011, 03:15 PM
The turbo functions like a muffler in a way, and does definitely quiet a vehicle down. Hell a stock SRT-4 Neon doesn't have a muffler.