PDA

View Full Version : chain tentiner

01boneless
05-17-2011, 03:32 PM
ok guy over 100 threads on this but not what i need. so the 400 runs perfect powerful,and pulls good. less than a month ago i had the mechanic put in rings,cam chain(wiseco) and cam chain tentioner and he adjusted the valves. but it ticks pretty loud. every one says there know to tick some, but i just want some opinoins so. ya i took it back he said it was a normal 400ex tick. So it dosent (to me) sound like it is in the valves its lower, it sounds like its right by the tetioner. so can i test that ?If so how i know drain the oil pull the exaust so what else?or should i even worry about it?please help me out thanks guys IF YOU GUYS WANT ILL MAKE A VID OF IT

NMills
05-17-2011, 04:35 PM
Make the video with sound... let us hear it... i don't think the tensioner can make a ticking sound... but i could be wrong...

01boneless
05-17-2011, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by NMills
Make the video with sound... let us hear it... i don't think the tensioner can make a ticking sound... but i could be wrong...

this is not my bike but it sounds bout like this maybe a tad louder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39DmiUjmaes&feature=related

honda400ex2003
05-17-2011, 09:03 PM
you can test the tensioner by using a small flat head and turning the tensioner clockwise to get it loosened, then release it. if it sticks or anything it is faulty.

FIRST though, test it by turning it counter clockwise to see if it goes in at all. DO NOT turn it hard, this will put more pressure on it if it is indeed tight. a light turn will verify if it is tight or not. then turn it far enough to take all pressure off of it. then release it to adjust properly.

i would probably attribute that noise to a cam chain slapping from being a bit loose. if it lets loose and hits accordingly then that would probably not be the cause.

just my .02,
steve

01boneless
05-17-2011, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
you can test the tensioner by using a small flat head and turning the tensioner clockwise to get it loosened, then release it. if it sticks or anything it is faulty.

FIRST though, test it by turning it counter clockwise to see if it goes in at all. DO NOT turn it hard, this will put more pressure on it if it is indeed tight. a light turn will verify if it is tight or not. then turn it far enough to take all pressure off of it. then release it to adjust properly.

i would probably attribute that noise to a cam chain slapping from being a bit loose. if it lets loose and hits accordingly then that would probably not be the cause.

just my .02,
steve

ok theres a bolt or screw in the middle of the tetioner do i take that out then turn the little slot inside or does that big screw need to come out?

honda400ex2003
05-17-2011, 09:54 PM
yup the philips comes off, then theres a small slot down inside of the threads that requires the small screwdriver to loosen the arm on it. if in doubt take it off and mess with it a bit. you can work it back and forth then to verify action.

steve

01boneless
05-17-2011, 10:00 PM
yup the philips comes off, then theres a small slot down inside of the threads that requires the small screwdriver to loosen the arm on it. if in doubt take it off and mess with it a bit. you can work it back and forth then to verify action.

steve

so if i dont take the tentioner off i dont have to drain oil right? imo also when i turn it counterclockwise if it dont move that means its tight? right lol thanks steve

honda400ex2003
05-17-2011, 10:05 PM
you wont have to do anything with the oil to take it off. oil doesnt stay up that far on the cylinder.

if it doesnt move CCW it is either bound up or tight. then check it by turning it CW to see if it moves out or not.

hope that helps out a bit,

steve

01boneless
05-17-2011, 10:13 PM
you wont have to do anything with the oil to take it off. oil doesnt stay up that far on the cylinder.

if it doesnt move CCW it is either bound up or tight. then check it by turning it CW to see if it moves out or not.

hope that helps out a bit,

steve

ok if i turn it clockwise and it winds up and i release it and it unwinds smooth the its tight and adjusted ? and if i turn it the other way counter then what should it do im comufedimacated lol whats a CCW?

01boneless
05-17-2011, 10:14 PM
ohh ccw couterwise and cw clockwise lol but the other ?s im still asking lol

honda400ex2003
05-17-2011, 10:18 PM
CCW out

honda400ex2003
05-17-2011, 10:18 PM
CW in

hope that helps out

this end goes into the cylinder and pushes on the rubber guide inside.

steve

honda400ex2003
05-17-2011, 10:21 PM
just take it off and work it back and forth. its much easier that way. lol

CCW turns it tighter or out
CW turns it looser or pulls the end in

if it is smooth operating then it should be adjusted properly. if it gets hung up at all then it may have been stuck somewhere.

hope the pics help out a bit.

steve

01boneless
05-17-2011, 10:28 PM
thanks steve to reset i just spring in back out right thanks dude

honda400ex2003
05-17-2011, 10:34 PM
yup to reset it just turn it in and then release it with it properly bolted to the cylinder.

there is actually a key that they come with that enables it to be locked easily for installation but you have to buy a new one to get it. lol they are right around 70 bucks. i know cause i just got my new one yesterday :(

steve

01boneless
05-17-2011, 10:41 PM
yup to reset it just turn it in and then release it with it properly bolted to the cylinder.

there is actually a key that they come with that enables it to be locked easily for installation but you have to buy a new one to get it. lol they are right around 70 bucks. i know cause i just got my new one yesterday :(

steve

ill probly just leave it bolted up and test it all out will it still reset

honda400ex2003
05-17-2011, 10:43 PM
should if it screw it in(CW) and release it. it is hard to tell if it works smoothly without taking it out but it would probably go out even if it was hung up before.

steve

01boneless
05-17-2011, 10:51 PM
ok thanks dude do you think it should be ticking some or not at all i heard they tick but idk

01boneless
05-17-2011, 10:52 PM
sounds like mine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39DmiUjmaes&feature=related

honda400ex2003
05-17-2011, 10:56 PM
it will always tick but how much just depends on the machine it seems. mine has always been pretty quiet, others i have seen are quite loud.

i cant watch the vid right now but if you are certain that the valves are adjusted properly, the cam is not a tooth off, and everything else is good, then the next logical thing would be the tensioner.

if all that is fine then ride it and not worry about it. the stuff to check has been done and verified so you are good to go.

steve

01boneless
05-17-2011, 10:59 PM
they dident replace the guides because they said there was no need and belive they let ya know if they fin somthing lol

honda400ex2003
05-17-2011, 11:00 PM
the guides are fine on it.

steve

01boneless
05-17-2011, 11:11 PM
tell ya what steve you saved me alot of time and worry i thought maybe the guides or sprockets or somthing if i prick with the tentioner and it fixes it sweet if not ill just not worry about it thanks bro sorry for keeping you up lol:)

honda400ex2003
05-17-2011, 11:14 PM
not a problem lol im up anyway so its all good. im watching some dvr stuff so i can get them off of there. its only 12:15 here anyway.

steve

01boneless
05-17-2011, 11:20 PM
1:19 here lol talk to ya later thanks steve

honda400ex2003
05-17-2011, 11:22 PM
good luck with it tomorrow. steve

01boneless
05-18-2011, 10:43 AM
ok it turns CW all the way in and then relases smothly.after that you can turn it about 1 turn CCW then it stops good or bad? after i reset it should i leave it or turn it CCW then leave ??

honda400ex2003
05-18-2011, 01:29 PM
i would leave it after turning it CW since this should be when it is properly adjusted.

id still take it out and make sure it is going in and out properly and fully. i dont think you should be able to turn it CCW after letting to go out. if you can it should be hard to turn since it is pushing on the chain.

id suggest buying a new one but it was just changed so it is very unlikely that it failed already.

let it out after turning it CW and see how it sounds. steve

01boneless
05-18-2011, 03:34 PM
i would leave it after turning it CW since this should be when it is properly adjusted.

id still take it out and make sure it is going in and out properly and fully. i dont think you should be able to turn it CCW after letting to go out. if you can it should be hard to turn since it is pushing on the chain.

id suggest buying a new one but it was just changed so it is very unlikely that it failed already.

let it out after turning it CW and see how it sounds. steve

can i mess anything up by taking it off ? anything i need to know when putting it back on?

honda400ex2003
05-18-2011, 03:44 PM
might tear the gasket, thats about all you can mess up.

just turn it in and hold it till you get it bolted down again as you install it.

steve

01boneless
05-18-2011, 03:53 PM
might tear the gasket, thats about all you can mess up.

just turn it in and hold it till you get it bolted down again as you install it.

steve

im just afraid of maby striping the bolts:confused:

01boneless
05-18-2011, 05:02 PM
heres the dealas they say when it rains it pours lol the exaust bolts were giving me a timeand i was afraid of stripping the bolts.when i turn it clockwise it doesent start winding till like a half a turn then it works good but ican still turn it CCW a few turns i did that and started it and it dident tick as bad but it losened back up after a while

honda400ex2003
05-18-2011, 06:04 PM
id buy a new one. imo it is bad if it isnt catching properly.

it is possible to strip them off but if it was just off of there recently it should be ok still.

if worst comes to worst you get to cut it in half like i had to so with mine to get it off. lol

steve