PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Carb..

AtvKid4Eva
05-17-2011, 07:03 AM
Hey guys my buddies 400ex pours gas out of the ovberflow tube on the back of the carb..i thought the float was sticking to i took it all apart and cleaned everything with carb cleaner even the jets. Put it back together and it is still leaking. The drain screw is tight and dosent have any signs of wear..what else could it be? Thanks.

dariusld
05-17-2011, 07:17 AM
Which tube is it? Is it coming out of the drain tube or a different one? Because if it is coming out of the drain tube, wouldn't it be the drain screw?

AtvKid4Eva
05-17-2011, 07:19 AM
Its coming out of the drain tube. Its not the screw tho, its fine.

dariusld
05-17-2011, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
id check the overflow screw down below on the bowl. sometimes the ball valve in there gets hung up, i fought the same thing on my 450 carb when i got it. it would be fine for a while, then all of a sudden it would start leaking again.

also something you could try, loosen the 17mm and let a bit of gas flow out of it. turn the gas off, undo the plug, then turn a bit of gas on. not all the way though it will push too much out. then after it runs out a bit, put it back together and see if it quit. that would stop mine sometimes also.

just a couple of things to try,
steve
Have you read the other recent thread on this question?
There are many threads on this exact topic. Many times, the same thing was said, and it was the drain screw. I would assume, since its coming out of the drain tube, it would have something to do with the drain screw.

Budweiserebel07
05-17-2011, 07:34 AM
Hey bro same thing happened to me. Its either your float needle or its still got a little dirt in it. I know you said you cleaned it, we did too, A LOT. But finally we took the bottom off the carb and used an air nozzle on an air compressor and blew it in all the holes and it worked. It doesn't take hardly any dirt it cause it to leak and if there is any dirt that is exactly where it will go, right to the float needle.

4WheelinDemon
05-18-2011, 11:10 AM
I would just go buy a rebuild kit honestly. 20-30 bucks at max.

2001400exrida
05-19-2011, 04:51 PM
push the throttle several times. After my rebuild, my carburetor was pouring gas out of the drain tube. I wasn't gonna try to do the break-in start with gas leaking so i stabbed the throttle probably 20 times and it actually quit pouring and hasn't poured ever since.