PDA

View Full Version : Race this weekend...

trailrider894
05-16-2011, 08:54 PM
Hey guys, i've got a big MX race this weekend... I am just wondering what you recommend i check, and tune before the race... I just want to make sure everything is running the best it can before the race!!! Any tips are appreciated!!! Also, are there any secrets to breaking the bead on ATV tires???? :huh I bought a set of tires 18" rears for my EX and can't seem to findout how to change them....

CJM
05-16-2011, 09:50 PM
Take a 2x4 or a 8x10 and put it on the tire after you have remove the valve core and let all the wire out. Then drive a small car, truck or whatever onto the board. It will come right off.

Now, seating the beat might be tricky b/c you may not have enough air pressure to blast it on. Leave the valve core out when inflating to seat the bead.

trailrider894
05-16-2011, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Take a 2x4 or a 8x10 and put it on the tire after you have remove the valve core and let all the wire out. Then drive a small car, truck or whatever onto the board. It will come right off.

Now, seating the beat might be tricky b/c you may not have enough air pressure to blast it on. Leave the valve core out when inflating to seat the bead.

Thanks!

tri5ron
05-16-2011, 10:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kpw3DdQGCTE&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

note, for the second video, (Below) if you squirt a little PB Blaster around the bead before driving the car up onto the board,... it will go A LOT easier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K51sqNf_B_A&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=starter+fluid+tire&aq=f

trailrider894
05-16-2011, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kpw3DdQGCTE&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

note, for the second video, (Below) if you squirt a little PB Blaster around the bead before driving the car up onto the board,... it will go A LOT easier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K51sqNf_B_A&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=starter+fluid+tire&aq=f

Those first vids you Ron???

CJM
05-16-2011, 10:39 PM
You could also do it like this if you got a hitch on your car/truck:

Take your hitch ball and flip it upside down. Support the tire on something solid. Jack the truck up, put tire under it, using hitch ball as breaker. Lower jack.

Of you could take a bottle jack and simply lift up against something solid and use a piece of hard wood like oak or maple to push the bead down.

Im spoiled I guess. Ive mounted a few atv tires on a REALLY old tire machine my buddy has at his shop. It isnt easy at all and you need 2 ppl but it can be done lol. Last time I got the dang things off the wheels but couldnt get them to go on with the machine-them 6 ply tires are tough, the 4ply flex better and easier.

Oh, be carefull but if you do get the new tires on there and it wont seat the beat take a can of starting fluid and give it a good spray then drop a match in there from a good bit away. Will pop the bead but be carefull since it can be dangerous lo.

tri5ron
05-16-2011, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
Those first vids you Ron??? nope

trailrider894
05-17-2011, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by tri5ron
nope Darn, the guy just reminded me of you!!! We was a little crazy!!!

01boneless
05-17-2011, 09:02 AM
just a few things check your tire pressure, change oil, chain tention, clean filter and most important make sure its nice and warmed up before the holshot nothing sucks more than killing it cause a cold motor ps GOOD LUCK :)

vinson581
05-18-2011, 01:44 PM
go to tractor supply spend 40$ on their tire changer, mount it to a concret floor, ive changed 30 tires so far with this little bead breaker, works AWESOME! but must be mounted to a good study floor to work best. then all ya need is 2 tire spoons, some simple green works great to lube the beads and thats all there is to it. peal the front bead over the valve stem side of the tire first and then just pull the rim out of the tire sideways more or less. it will come right out as long as its not something tough to mount like razr 6 plys.

vinson581
05-18-2011, 01:47 PM
as far as tips for racing go, wire on your grips dont want to loose one, check your seat latch ive seen seats go flying more times then not. do all your basic mateinience, check your tire pressure in all 4 i usally run a half lb less in the back then front, something like 4 in the back 4.5 in the front. remove your headlights if there on there. other then that pin it to win it

400exmxrider15
05-18-2011, 01:54 PM
Make sure the lugs on the wheels are tight. just a tip....my buddy justin, one of his lugs were loose, and it tore up a hiper beadlock rim....

01boneless
05-18-2011, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by 400exmxrider15
Make sure the lugs on the wheels are tight. just a tip....my buddy justin, one of his lugs were loose, and it tore up a hiper beadlock rim....

good call justin had a nice set and ruent them

87HONDATRX250X
05-18-2011, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by 01boneless
good call justin had a nice set and ruent them

Wasn't a happy camper

sheweezy
05-18-2011, 07:49 PM
Check oil, tire pressure, clean filter, clean new fuel, bar clamps tight, lug nuts tight, chain tensioned and oiled, axle greased and torqued, brakes bled and working properly, tether kill switch working properly

trailrider894
05-18-2011, 10:02 PM
What PSI would you run without beadlocks?

sheweezy
05-19-2011, 08:44 PM
are you at 20/18?

trailrider894
05-19-2011, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by sheweezy
are you at 20/18?

Tires??? I don't actually.... It really sucks because I have the tires, just waiting on my rims.... they got back-ordered... I have all of my rims except one rear one??? It makes no sense....

sheweezy
05-19-2011, 09:06 PM
3 or 4 for better traction, 4 or 5.5 to corner better to keep tires on rims also...without beadlocks........

drew416ex
05-20-2011, 09:02 PM
I run 8-10psi front and 6-9psi rear depending on the track. Nearly everytime i have gone below 6 on the rear i have bent a wheel or busted the tire off the bead while landing a jump sideways. That was with cheap douglas wheels too though. Prob had something to do with it.