PDA

View Full Version : carb overflow problem

cody13x
05-16-2011, 02:51 PM
i have a '99 400ex that was torn apart and it sat in pieces for a few years, im putting it together and im having an issue with the carb, the overflow keeps spewing gas out, i installed a full carb rebuild kit, cleaned every corner of the carb until it was spit shined and made sure the float wasn't hanging up, put the carb on and it still leaks out of the overflow.. when the machine is running its fine but as soon as u turn the engine off it starts dripping out. it doesnt drip when the gas is off either. help?

matts27
05-16-2011, 02:57 PM
Under the float is the needle valve. It's shot, gets deformed over time ( rubber needle ) and is causing the bowl to overflow.
Matt

cody13x
05-16-2011, 03:06 PM
i changed that when i rebuilt the carb. its stainless i believe?

honda400ex2003
05-16-2011, 03:09 PM
id check the overflow screw down below on the bowl. sometimes the ball valve in there gets hung up, i fought the same thing on my 450 carb when i got it. it would be fine for a while, then all of a sudden it would start leaking again.

also something you could try, loosen the 17mm and let a bit of gas flow out of it. turn the gas off, undo the plug, then turn a bit of gas on. not all the way though it will push too much out. then after it runs out a bit, put it back together and see if it quit. that would stop mine sometimes also.

just a couple of things to try,
steve