PDA

View Full Version : Oil supply to motor?

Vanginkel
05-15-2011, 07:08 PM
Hi guys, im looking to buy a ltr from a guy. he has just rebuilt the motor pretty much. he did valves, valve springs, piston, rings, brand new tranny, shift pin relocator, and hot cams. He only has 1 hour on it since rebuild and seems to run great. Just he noticed when he went to change or check the oil, that there was no oil in the oil tank/ bath. So he completely drained it all and changed oil filters and put new oil in it. but when he did that, he noticed all the oil he put in it, when right into the motor completely. He obviously put the right amount of oil in(hes not an idiot). He doesn't know exactly what it is, but i was just wondering if you guys knew, i am planning on trading my quad for this ltr if he can fix this problem. Thanks for any help.

Jim417mx
05-15-2011, 07:47 PM
Kinda sounds like an oil pump issue.. I'm not sure which way the flow of oil goes, but it seems to me, one pump is working, and the other isnt, therefore not allowing the oil to be forced back into the tank... if nobody else responds on here, try using the search and read some peoples bad oil pump explanations and hopefully this helps.

nkillian9
05-16-2011, 10:10 AM
when i replaced 3rd gear in my 08 i had to add a lil more oil then i normally do for it to come up on the dipstick, i had thought i had messed something up come to find out jsut needed more oil to register

nkillian9
05-16-2011, 10:11 AM
if hes run it an hour and its still running great i would think it would have to be circulating oil

Jim417mx
05-17-2011, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by nkillian9
if hes run it an hour and its still running great i would think it would have to be circulating oil

nope :) , ran mine for a week before i noticed my oil wasnt circulating and found my siezed oil pump. I'm sure it depends on which pump goes bad though?

nkillian9
05-17-2011, 11:54 PM
how do u know u ran it a week then? lol just busting your balls,

Limited Z_400
05-18-2011, 09:39 AM
sounds like it is your return pump. It is on the left side after your remove the mag cover. You will have to remove the flywheel. The first pump is the transmission pump(#1) and the one in the crankcase is the return pump.The pump on the right side is your engine pump (#2) and must be working because it has emptied the tank.

Jim417mx
05-18-2011, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by nkillian9
how do u know u ran it a week then? lol just busting your balls,

very true... lol ... sounds like limited z_400 nailed it tho! great info

nkillian9
05-18-2011, 11:54 PM
sounds good to me, when i replaced 3rd gear i didnt pay much attention as to which pump did wut, i recall seeing your pump gear on the clutch side jim