PDA

View Full Version : Sprocket guards or skid plate

THR36
05-15-2011, 04:46 PM
Lost a hare scramble today due to losing a chain..I think my skid plate bent into the chain nd that's what caused it to come off what you guys think??

Also should I lose the skid plate nd put sprocket guards or should I keep the skid plate???

DnB_racing
05-15-2011, 05:17 PM
run a chain guide on your swing arm,it helps keep chain in line if something gets in between chain and sprocket and a better skid,

and replace your chain at least every season depending on hours... no more then 200 hours

THR36
05-15-2011, 05:27 PM
Have stock chain guide on there..chain has about 10 hrs..thought I had a good skid plate on it lol

DnB_racing
05-15-2011, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by THR36
Have stock chain guide on there..chain has about 10 hrs..thought I had a good skid plate on it lol not stoke style one with rollers like a banshee style, or the ones that go on sprocket like the blingstar

LeGaCyGiAnT124
05-16-2011, 11:11 AM
I had this same exact issue during a race. The sprocket guard side of the skidplate bent up and frayed from the chain rubbing on it and eventually gave it a lip that sheared the chain right off. I have had nothing but good luck with Ed Texiera's setup. Get his outer sprocket guard and his rotor guard and you will be good to go. That or a PRM skidplate. I prefer the setup I am running now just because it provides more ground clearance.

Rdogg450
05-21-2011, 07:38 AM
I run the single sprocket guard and skidplate from teixeira tech no issues yet.

SHIFTx450
05-23-2011, 01:14 PM
I run blingstar sprocket guards and rotor guard on 2 of my bikes. With a TM performance chain guide. Absolutely zero complaints, love em. Not only do they perform well and look cool, they're beefy as all heck. Got excellent ground clearance too

XC_Racer_129
05-24-2011, 10:01 AM
I race harescrambles with a PRM skid plate and have had no issues. My PRM lasted me almost two seasons on my 400 and I have a season on the plate on my 450 and haven't had an issue. Occasionally they need to get bent back in place slightly and if it does get bent into the chain, the chain eats thru the plate before the chain breaks haha.

Lquad71
05-24-2011, 10:07 AM
I dont like sprocket guards because we have had experience with them breaking the sprocket hub. I run a Pro Armor skid and havent had any problems

xcwes
05-24-2011, 06:41 PM
Blingstar dual sprocket guard. Gt thunder steel rotor guard and a dirt works chain guide

airmobile101
05-24-2011, 09:56 PM
I think all these sprocket guards, rotor guards, skid plates, etc...... will all depend on your geographical location on where you race. Some people have great success with just a skid plate, while others don't. Example, I run a southern Missouri based series thats pretty much ran by Dirtworks Motosports. Each course in Southern Missouri is pretty much a rock bed since the Ozark mountain range runs right thru. So naturally, a skid plate isn't the logical choice. Why? because I would rip the darn thing off before I would ever smacked it enough to interfere with the sprocket or rotor. Sooo....... If you dont run a rocky series, then I honestly think a skid plate would do the trick. But, at the same time, you lose some ground clearance with a skid compared to a sprocket guard and rotor guard.

Now for sprocket and rotor guards. There are plenty of options. I prefer to run a Teixeira Tech sprocket guard with a GTT poly skid on one bike, and a Teixeira Tech sprocket guard with a custom(Burrows) rotor/skid on the other.
I will run the GTT poly equipped bike on less rocky courses. I would run it all the time,but I will wear out a GTT poly in three races if I did. Both setups I run have Moose poly chain slides. Good chain slides for the money. I don't run a Dirtworks chain slide for the simple fact like any other chain slides, its mounted to a aluminum swingarm. Which the end result is me ripping the thing out of the bolt holes.

As for Blingstar........... not impressed. Its all flash and thats about it. IMO

SHIFTx450
05-25-2011, 06:53 AM
Bling bling