PDA

View Full Version : RIS Designs brake caliper

Velvet-Casket
05-15-2011, 12:36 PM
I have browsed their site alot and never seen this b4. It seems pretty innovative. I bought their footpegs for my atc and they are nice and seem durable. I wonder how this works and holds up??????
This is the ebay auction link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280676329303&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

HAYESTRX250R
05-15-2011, 04:03 PM
Probably ideal for dunes or drags, not mx or woods. I have bought a few parts of theirs off ebay lately and they are A+ and going cheap.

deathman53
05-15-2011, 04:13 PM
I beleive their foot pegs are only good for dunes and drags, don't look strong enough for mx and xc. I used 86 and 87 trx peg plates on my atc250r's, along w/ roll design pegs. 86 peg plates(discontinued are far stronger than 85 peg plates), I still managed to bend them. That caliper does look nice, I could be wrong, but it looks like it uses 250x, 300ex, 200x, 400ex, 350x, banshee/warrior rear and some front brake pads. You can put a 400ex and such caliper on a 250r w/ correct caliper stay. I personally would use a yz front caliper on a trx250r, when I run out of stock 250r calipers, it nearly bolts on, all you need to do is egg one bolt hole and its also far cheaper, under $50 on ebay.

jcs003
05-17-2011, 01:35 AM
looks trick. the trx250r caliper is very strong. i went cheap once and got a yz400 caliper and mounted it. it eventually broke.

SilverLake250R
05-17-2011, 06:15 AM
I'd like to know if anybody has run one of these as well. Looks SWEET!

C-LEIGH RACING
05-17-2011, 08:10 PM
Well tell me this since we are on rear brake caliper subject.
How in the heck can I stop the fluid from boiling & loosing rear brakes.

I've done just about everything I can think of other than hack sawing the pedal off so she cant use them.
Use fresh DOT 4 fluid, even took some exhaust pipe wrap & cut piece to go between the pad & caliper so the heat couldnt travel as easy, still boil the fluid & no rear brakes.

Few years ago I was blaming it on running with them 4 pokers, backing off the gas & rolling into the corners & everybody know you got to go in a corner HARD & then pitch a 250R so she was on the brakes trying to keep from running over them.

I'm at wits end with this & need some help.

If I knew that caliper set up would cure this problem, I would be ordering one tomorrow.
Thanks, Neil

cdrookie
05-18-2011, 05:42 AM
back in the day didn't some people make a brake block off plate and have fins welded on it to help draw out heat from the caliper. it wasn't pretty but served it's purpose i guess:confused:

deathman53
05-18-2011, 09:30 AM
there is a product, it marketed for ktm dirtbikes. http://www.brapoffroad.com/brakes/rear-brake-caliper-radiator-kit/. Its 10m 1.0 pitch bolt, honda is a 10mm1.25. Ktm's have the same problem for boiling brake fluid, maybe he can get you a bolt that will fit a honda, I think I seen coolers for honda cr/crf calipers also around. Its a pretty common thing for mx and enduro guys who are hard on the brakes. Changing pad compound will help w/ heat issues also.

C41Xracer
05-18-2011, 10:09 AM
what about dual calipers????? yeah it would be a pain to machine a brake stay but she wouldnt need to be so hard on the brakes then. Just a thought

Jonny B
05-18-2011, 12:56 PM
Deathman53 is right about the ktms, my ktm enduro boils the fluid. It gets scary when the pedal bottoms out and you are not slowing down! I had to make sure the rear caliper pistons werent sticking and bought the best dot 5 I could. The tight single track trails is constant accel/braking every ten feet so I cant blame them for being pissed...

I geuss clean the caliper slide pins, make sure the pistons dont hang up, and get the best dot 5 there is. Oh yeah, and use more front brakes! LOL

leager-n-ky
05-18-2011, 04:52 PM
@ JonnyB, Show neil a pic of that caliper you got from MasterLT, ?? innovations, i cant remember exact name. back in the day, the pro's use to run these on their TT bikes, hard to find, and pricey, but are suppose to keep em cooler.

rayman375
06-05-2011, 10:01 AM
Don't know if you guys can see this thread or not, but a guy had one of these RIS calipers fail. http://bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=143715&st=15