PDA

View Full Version : Got fired

ryan243
05-15-2011, 10:56 AM
My girlfriend has been working at a country club restaurant for about 4 months now. She is a sous chef. Her and the chef opened this restaurant from scratch for the owner of the club. They have done a great job, every customer loves the food and they have been getting great reviews. She finds out today that she has been fired for no reason, the guy couldn't even talk to her personally he had someone else call her. When I met the guy I could tell he was a weasel and something like this would happen. From what I hear, the chef will be leaving very soon because of the way all of this went down. This guy treats his employees like crap and is quickly running his business into the ground. Any suggestions on how to speed that process up? It needs to be legal obviously, something to get people to stop giving this dude their money.

250x_kyle
05-15-2011, 11:00 AM
possibly a well written letter for the opinion section of the local paper?

ryan243
05-15-2011, 11:03 AM
Definitely a good idea. I was thinking craigslist and websites for some reason but never even thought of the paper

CJM
05-15-2011, 11:14 AM
Can you be fired without a reason where you live? I know they must have a reason in some areas.

Either way, sounds like the owner probably found someone to work cheaper who he thinks will be better-thats usually how it goes. In the restaurant world tho, you can easily find another job if your a chef.

DnB_racing
05-15-2011, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Can you be fired without a reason where you live? I know they must have a reason in some areas.

Either way, sounds like the owner probably found someone to work cheaper who he thinks will be better-thats usually how it goes. In the restaurant world tho, you can easily find another job if your a chef. I agree!! i dont think you can just fire somone without proper warnings and documentation without opening up for a lawsuit! http://smallbusiness.dnb.com/human-resources/workforce-management-termination/1517-1.html

wilkin250r
05-15-2011, 01:12 PM
If you want to investigate wrongful termination, have at it.

But as for trying to ruin the business, I'd just let it go. You're just going to make yourself miserable, and you're not going to get your girlfriend her job back or teach the owner a lesson. I see this whole situation like drinking poison yourself and hoping the OTHER guy dies. This hatred will eat you if you hold on to it.

motomadman
05-15-2011, 07:45 PM
How about move on and look for another job instead of wasting your time thinking of ways to slander and ruin this guys business. She was there a whole 4 months. If she was any kind of an asset to the company he would have been stupid to fire her. This is the problem these days, people wanna sue for this and that. Someone gives you a chance to earn an income for whatever period of time, you should be thankful they gave you that opportunity.

Most people have absolutely no idea of the stress involved in managing or owning a business and the babysitting involved in dealing with employees. Everyone thinks owners just sit back and collect hens. Couldn't be further from the truth, truth is its hardly worth it sometimes and the stress probably takes years off your life. There is something to be said about being able to clock out, go home and leave it all behind.

Probably not what most people want to hear but all this regulation, unemployment benifits, unions, fake workmans comp and personal injury lawyers will ruin this country in 20 years. Jesus Christ go to work and if you don't like it quit and try to find a job where the boss wipes your butt for you.

DnB_racing
05-15-2011, 08:18 PM
I agree with everthing you said except.dont put unenployment benifits and unions in the same catagory as fraud!!
unemployment is necessary for the construction field! not to mention that its payed for through the employees own hours!

and without unenployment comp. construction costs would be huge, to cover the months that construction isn't possible,
the pay scale would have to compensate, for time when building just isn't economical,
and you cant expect to get a worthwhile job for the winter knowing that when spring time comes and construction picks up your going to quit!
and unions are a necessary part of every work force, without them, were would this country be! they are the backbone of this nations history. to not believe in unions is like saying you dont believe in the way we have our government!
as unions are all elected and ran by the masses just like our government .. yes there are flaws but there are power in numbers... if quad riders had a union we would still have open tracks and trails to ride

LTandRaptorider
05-15-2011, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by motomadman
How about move on and look for another job instead of wasting your time thinking of ways to slander and ruin this guys business. She was there a whole 4 months. If she was any kind of an asset to the company he would have been stupid to fire her. This is the problem these days, people wanna sue for this and that. Someone gives you a chance to earn an income for whatever period of time, you should be thankful they gave you that opportunity.

Most people have absolutely no idea of the stress involved in managing or owning a business and the babysitting involved in dealing with employees. Everyone thinks owners just sit back and collect hens. Couldn't be further from the truth, truth is its hardly worth it sometimes and the stress probably takes years off your life. There is something to be said about being able to clock out, go home and leave it all behind.

Probably not what most people want to hear but all this regulation, unemployment benifits, unions, fake workmans comp and personal injury lawyers will ruin this country in 20 years. Jesus Christ go to work and if you don't like it quit and try to find a job where the boss wipes your butt for you.

Gotta admit, pretty much what I was thinking. Especially how she was only there 4 months. I'm guessing you and your GF are young. I'm not gonna lie and blow sunshine up your a s s. If you let something like this get you down, it's gonna be a long, unhappy life. Let this experience toughen you up, put the chit behind you and move on. Guess what? We aren't as important as we think we are... Excluding myself, of course! :devil:

Good luck to your GF. Onward and upward. :cool:

motomadman
05-15-2011, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
I agree with everthing you said except.dont put unenployment benifits and unions in the same catagory as fraud!!
unemployment is necessary for the construction field! not to mention that its payed for through the employees own hours!

and without unenployment comp. construction costs would be huge, to cover the months that construction isn't possible,
the pay scale would have to compensate, for time when building just isn't economical,
and you cant expect to get a worthwhile job for the winter knowing that when spring time comes and construction picks up your going to quit!
and unions are a necessary part of every work force, without them, were would this country be! they are the backbone of this nations history

Unemployment for fulltime employees collected for 6 months is one thing. But unemployment for 2 years and part timers like we have under Obama is crippling. People will not go get a job to earn 5-600 a week when they can make $400 on unemployment.

Construction workers should get another job during the offseason instead of sitting at home and smoking doobies while collecting unemployement. Unemployment is insurance paid for by the employer and employee, the more it is used the more it cost. This is America, if you want a job there is work. You might not like working on a dairy farm, but the taxpayers and your last employer should not fit the bill while you sit at home and some illegal mexican works at the job you could be at.

And unions, I've worked at many union jobs. What a corrupt, worthless rackett unions are. They breed laziness and protect crappy employees that should be fired. Lets not even mention the race cards unions use all the time. Unions have done far more harm than good. Take a good look at the postal service and the american auto manufactures to see how wonderful unions are.

Sorry to say I fear for my kids. I fear this country may well be finished as a financial powerhouse. I don't think our grandkids will even be able to afford luxury goods like quads if things don't change drastically soon.

DnB_racing
05-15-2011, 09:10 PM
Unemployment for fulltime employees collected for 6 months is one thing. But unemployment for 2 years and part timers like we have under Obama is crippling. People will not go get a job to earn 5-600 a week when they can make $400 on unemployment.

Construction workers should get another job during the offseason instead of sitting at home and smoking doobies while collecting unemployement. Unemployment is insurance paid for by the employer and employee, the more it is used the more it cost. This is America, if you want a job there is work. You might not like working on a dairy farm, but the taxpayers and your last employer should not fit the bill while you sit at home and some illegal mexican works at the job you could be at.

And unions, I've worked at many union jobs. What a corrupt, worthless rackett unions are. They breed laziness and protect crappy employees that should be fired. Lets not even mention the race cards unions use all the time. Unions have done far more harm than good. Take a good look at the postal service and the american auto manufactures to see how wonderful unions are.

Sorry to say I fear for my kids. I fear this country may well be finished as a financial powerhouse. I don't think our grandkids will even be able to afford luxury goods like quads if things don't change drastically soon. i agree that extensions are excessive!,
but how many employer's would hire somebody that they know are going to leave??you might get a couple of winter jobs but unless you lie on your resume it become obvious whats going to happen,
im not saying unions are perfect, but as far as protecting bad workers, not around here!, no one else is going to do his work, the sludge always makes its way to the bottom,

the minority card is federal funded jobs whether it be union or not its there. on any federally funded job requires a certain amount of minorities. that's a federal law not a union one!that's civil rights not workers rights
our local contractors hate it its not the unions that force that down there throats

and are you aware that the auto workers took cuts and had wage freezes to try to help the auto motive manufacturers, and the CEO's and executives still ran the companies into the ground, still collecting millions in bonuses from the federal bailout loans

not the unions fault but the greedy shareholders

the postal workers are something completely different!!! the mail is federal, if you privatized it you would see a much more efficient mail system, and still maintain adequate worker rights with the proper unions representation, not the corrupt government run system it is now

ryan243
05-16-2011, 05:03 AM
I'm honestly not sitting around whining about it and I'm not trying to ruin this dudes life. He simply has screwed over atleast 9 people and put good hard working people out of work for no reason. I just want people to know what they are getting into if they work for him and I want people to know the kind of guy he is before they give him their money. I understand it's hard to run a business, I've worked for my dads company since I was in high school and I've seen first hand the stress that can be caused but I also know what is and isn't acceptable to do to employees. Just because it's hard to run a business does not make it ok to treat employees poorly. And sure 4 months isn't a long time but when you work anywhere from 60-75 hours a week starting a restaurant from scratch it's a tough pill to swallow; it's not like they just opened a new mcdonalds. They made the menu, designed the place, created dishes, etc. I mean they put their hearts and souls into this place. The guy basically used them for that and then got rid of them.

KingpinsEx
05-17-2011, 07:35 PM
Like some else said, just let it runs it course and it will catch up with him. If you don't take care of those who take care of you its not going to work out. Getting new employees constantly says a lot about a place and if he is getting rid of good people it is only hurting himself. Look at it this way, he gave them the opportunity to work for someone better...

ryan243
05-18-2011, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by KingpinsEx
Like some else said, just let it runs it course and it will catch up with him. If you don't take care of those who take care of you its not going to work out. Getting new employees constantly says a lot about a place and if he is getting rid of good people it is only hurting himself. Look at it this way, he gave them the opportunity to work for someone better...

My girlfriend and the chef already both got new jobs. Pretty funny going to get their stuff out of the kitchen of the old place and telling the guy they were already working somewhere else.

400exrider707
05-18-2011, 09:50 AM
She probalby worked under the table there? If so, he can fire her as he pleases...

ryan243
05-18-2011, 01:12 PM
Why would you think that? No it was not under the table

selbygirl
05-18-2011, 07:08 PM
well i have bin in construction for 26 years and never recieved benfits of eny kind .most construction workers i no are self employed and pay taxes . we pay in but we dont get uniployment . and for years company's like mv and ryane homes have bin stealing all our work buy hiring ilegal mexicans . but eny way .the best way to get back is open your own resteraunt. stepup and move on take care tommy

250xridamatt
05-18-2011, 07:53 PM
Indiana is an At-Will Employment state. Basically, as long as he didn't fire her solely because she was a woman, or some other sexist/racist reason then he didn't do anything "wrong". It sucks, and I don't think there is any problem with getting the word out that he is scumbag. A rule of a capitalist economy; if he treats people like crap and others find out about it, he most likely won't be in business long anyways.

ZeroLogic
05-18-2011, 09:12 PM

I strongly disagree. Really the only construction workers that are laid off during the winter are road construction. This is not their fault, they cannot help the winter. They also put in very very long hours when they work. (12 to 16 hour days 6 to 7 days a week for nine months.)

Self employed workers do not collect unemployment because they cannot. If they do, they have work mans compensation in which they pay into it out of their own pocket, not the governments. Most talented skill workers however do not run out of work during the winter unless you have a bad economy like you do now.

You cannot tell someone to find a new job in the middle of the winter during this state of the economy. Its extremely hard and they cannot support a family + bills on a 8 dollar an hour wage. Or they are given the option to collect 400+ a week. What would you pick and lets be honest here. You can't ***** and moan about people who love doing their job but are limited by weather. Construction takes a certain skill and passion, some ******* off the street cannot just pick up a blue print and build a house from the ground up. You also can't be taught the skill, it is something you are born with.

Also why does it matter what they do on their spare time?

If you want something to complain about, something that affects the U.S greater then a maybe 800,000 people on unemployment, ***** about all the jobs going over seas.

But don't get me started with Unions.:p :o