PDA

View Full Version : 08 F-150 brake light issues.

JOHNDOE83
05-15-2011, 07:14 AM
I have a 2008 F150 with 26,000 miles on it.

Everything was working fine until yesterday, I drove out to work on my ATV's and while test riding my ATV I noticed the brake lights in my truck were on?

Im like what the hell? so I make sure the lights arent on, they werent, I push the brake pedal and they dont light up more or turn off.

I turn the lights on, then hit the brake pedal and the brake lights turn OFF?!?!

The turn signals work, hazards work, brake lights are having wiring issues apparently. I havent had the time to work on it, I have to drive out there today to look at it.

Has anyone here had that problem or know someone who has?

Any advice before I go out and start rippin stuff apart?

DnB_racing
05-15-2011, 08:12 AM
has there been any splicing made for a trailer or any other HID lites or fog lites or roof any thing?

CJM
05-15-2011, 08:13 AM
Usually there is a small switch at the pedal itself than can go bad, Id check there first.

Was it hard to get it outta/into gear too-could be the neutral safety switch.

JBENSON
05-15-2011, 08:52 AM
Most likely it is the switch on the brake pedal....... it also could be located on the master cylinder. some brake lights work off of brake pressure instead of pedal movement.

bbender85
05-15-2011, 08:54 AM
i had a similar problem with my F250 and it ended up being the trailer plug-in; it was all corroded in there and crossing signals.

Kickstarts-suck
05-15-2011, 02:38 PM
Unplug the brake switch and if the lights go off thats probably your problem. They are pretty cheap to replace.

2nd guess would be trailer wiring.

JOHNDOE83
05-16-2011, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Usually there is a small switch at the pedal itself than can go bad, Id check there first.

YUP!!! that was it, the pedal switch.

I was working on the truck, couldnt figure it out, went on here to check replies and you guys nailed it...lol.

I checked the trailer plug wires very carefully and didnt see any issues, I did hook up to a trailer that was beat down the other day, But if that were to of done it I think the fuse would have went instead of the switch? Also I would have been driving around for 2 days without brake lights...lol.

Why would that switch go bad after only 26,000 miles?

When buying the replacement, I asked how long do these usually last, he told me they have a lifetime warranty and the switches just dont ever go bad, ever?

So I asked, then why am I buying one?

He goes, I dunno? and just laughed and gave me the reciept...lol.

CJM
05-16-2011, 09:13 PM
That sucks. Id take the old one back and go "hey, warranty it jerk!"

Sometimes things just go bad, Ive seen it happen on many different things for no reason. Me, Id try opening it up and cleaning the contacts and see if it works.

01 400EXer
05-19-2011, 08:35 AM
The switch may not be bad, but your brake pedal may have/be out of adjustment. If the pedal is not adjusted correctly it could cause the switch to be acvtivated thus keeping the brake lights on. Plug the switch back in and check to see if the pedal is constantly pressing on the switch, if it is see if the pedal can be adjusted.