PDA

View Full Version : How to "Stud" the tires

BlazingYamahaYz
02-19-2003, 08:23 PM
ok, this weekend ben and his brother and dad and i are going to WI, and we plan on ridding on their frozen lake with the quads, and we are going to probably have to put studs in the tires...but how do you do it? do you put one stud in each tread, or two in each one? any help would be appreciated, we have the tools for it, i just have a feeling ben will have no idea what hes doing, and i thought i would do this ahead of time....so all i need to know is how many studs do you put in each tread, or whatever? thanks guys....

BlazingYamahaYz
02-19-2003, 08:42 PM
noone?!?!?!? i know i have seen some people with studded tires:confused2

mental1
02-19-2003, 09:00 PM
A guy I know is start to ice race this year and has like 5 studs in each knob on his holeshotMX's. My old 250R had studs in the front tires when I bought it I think about 2 or 3 per knob.

Quad18star
02-19-2003, 09:55 PM
It all depends on the type of tire you guys are running . If its turf tammers slap one stud per knob , if its anything else probably go with 2 studs per knob ( go with what looks right just dont over do it) . A buddy of mine has a Tri-Z with a crotch rocket engine in it and runs about 2500 studs in total ( all 3 tires) and it flat out hauls ***. Power doesn't scare me , but when it's on 3 wheels it's a little different .

killed300ex
02-20-2003, 05:06 AM
I would stuff as amny studs on each tire as you can. Just plaster it with studs the more you have the less will get riped out. I went to the ice races and there were quads there amd some of them have 6+ studs in each knob. It was on holeshots. So just put as many as possible. And on the fronts all you need to do is get one or two strips down the center of the tire. Kinda so it looks like a raised paddle tire just with studs. Its realy easy just time consuming to do.
killed

Duner21
02-20-2003, 09:18 AM
It's all a personal preference. It also depends what you are doing on the ice. If you are just taking a little ride on the ice, sure pack the tire full of screws. But if you are racing it's nice to swing your back end around when you take tight corners. If you pack your rear tires full of screws you will find that you are hooking up WAY tooo much and won't be able to take corners that fast. I have a cheng chin ice tire and after going on the ice I kept trail riding for weeks with the studs still in and I still haven't lost a single stud. I found out that tammers lose screws real fast, and in a couple hours you will be sliding all over the place. For my tires I stud up 3 screws in each row (rears) (1 per knob) and it does everything I need it to do.
Hope this helps.

flying400ex
02-20-2003, 08:23 PM
What I did was I went to the store and bought some #8 1/2 inch sheet metal screws with the flatehead slot in them and I put 4 in each corner on a set of stock 400 rear tires and did 3 per knob in the middle of stock fronts and did two on each over the rest of the front tire... Oh and it really helps to have a fast drill you plug into the wall I used a cordless drive and it worked good because it was lighter but it wore the battery down after two tires. It also helps to have a bit for the drill that is kinda like a socket because it takes forever with a flat head bit on your drill.... hope that helps

speedy400
02-20-2003, 08:37 PM
well I put in about a total of 600 capenter 1/4 in ice skrews, but if you have throw away tires, get a tube for it and put about 20 snowmobile ice studs (push threw) they work awsome and dont come out!

flying400ex
02-20-2003, 08:40 PM
my buddy did that on his warrior and it flipped over backwards with the snowmobile studs.