PDA

View Full Version : er backfiring

hondadude101
05-13-2011, 07:55 AM
I have a 2007 er and it backfires like it its job!!! I have heard the timing may be off but it needed new valves so i bought another head and put it on there and it cleared up the problem of the valves needing to be adjusted every 5 minutes, but it still backfires constantly as im decellerating, any ideas what it could be?

DnB_racing
05-13-2011, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by hondadude101
I have a 2007 er and it backfires like it its job!!! I have heard the timing may be off but it needed new valves so i bought another head and put it on there and it cleared up the problem of the valves needing to be adjusted every 5 minutes, but it still backfires constantly as im decellerating, any ideas what it could be? jetting can cause backfire do a plug chop and check condition of plug, also do a leak down test to check valves and seals.. its not good for your motor..

backfiring is caused from unburned fuel in the exhaust you have to figure out if its from valve leaking or out of time or excessive fuel not being burned in the chamber

Ruf Racing
05-13-2011, 11:14 AM
Turn your fuel screw out 1/2 turn. That's a little extreme, but if it is the pilot circuit, it will improve.

Pacheco_450r
05-13-2011, 11:19 AM
Definitely sounds like a jetting problem turn out the fuel screw up to 3 turns out from being seated, anymore than that and you will have to go up a size with your pilot. But adjust what you have first a quarter turn at a time and that should clear it up.

hondadude101
05-19-2011, 06:58 AM
I havent had a lot of time to work on it in the past few days but i took it riding last friday for about 3 hours, i stopped and it started to idle rough and white smoke started comming out of the exhaust, last night i did turn out the screw half a turn and put fresh gas in it and started it and let idle for about 5 minutes and when i came back it was blowing white smoke again, this thing is really getting to be a pain in my ***!!

Pacheco_450r
05-19-2011, 09:30 AM
white smoke is not good! You could be burning coolant. How does it run when you actually ride it? is there any smoke then?

hondadude101
05-19-2011, 07:27 PM
i havent road it since friday because i have the carrier out of it to replace the axle bearings, so i dont know if it is smoking when i ride it but the oil temp light never came on, i stopped at a friends house friday and noticed it and headed home and i didnt really watch it, it seems to do it worse when i rev it when its just setting there, i bought a new head for it because the valves were bad, so it had it apart, and i didnt clean the gasket off and the oil and antifreeze were getting together, then i took it back apart and cleaned it up really good and replaced the water pump seals and bearing, so they are good, i dont know where the coolant could be getting into the cylinder...

airmobile101
05-19-2011, 07:30 PM
Change you leak jet ;)

DnB_racing
05-19-2011, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by hondadude101
i havent road it since friday because i have the carrier out of it to replace the axle bearings, so i dont know if it is smoking when i ride it but the oil temp light never came on, i stopped at a friends house friday and noticed it and headed home and i didnt really watch it, it seems to do it worse when i rev it when its just setting there, i bought a new head for it because the valves were bad, so it had it apart, and i didnt clean the gasket off and the oil and antifreeze were getting together, then i took it back apart and cleaned it up really good and replaced the water pump seals and bearing, so they are good, i dont know where the coolant could be getting into the cylinder... are all the oils clean and free of coolant? another thing to check is to see if your combustion is pressurising the colling system,

but if it is smoke and not coolant, and your oil isn't overfull, then you have a ring or valve seal issue

you didnt clean your gasket surfaces??? BAD,BAD, BOY!
the temp light is for coolant not oil, I believe it comes on when your fan does(mines been removed for a long time)

as far as were coolant can come from,it still could be a warped or cracked head or cylinder surface,
I hope you used new quality gaskets!

hondadude101
05-20-2011, 07:14 AM
yea, i will look into the fluids and how do i do a leak down test?

hrc450er
05-20-2011, 12:31 PM
if your burning white smoke thats coolant getting into the combustion chamber. prob a head gasket not sealed up tight. check your oil and coolant and make sure they arent mixing together. if they are the mechanical seal that keeps the two seperate by the water pump might be bad. also you might want to pull the carb off and make sure dirt isnt in the carb while you got it tore apart. clean all the jets out