PDA

View Full Version : XC Raptor 90

ccdhowell
05-12-2011, 08:46 PM
Just wanted to post up some pics for guys that may be thinking about a Raptor 90 for XC racing. I was disapointed with the little quad in stock form, but it has responded well to the few mods I've done to it so far.

I took the plastic off to get the the back of the air box, there is an extra piece screwed onto the back of it that restricts the airflow a lot, I took that off. Added an HMF full system, rejetted the carb and replaced the CDI with a Procom unit. All-in-all, nice power gains. I put some spacers on all 4 corners and changed the wheels and tires to DWT with the Jr XC tires, 8" rear and 10" front wheels. This little quad has much more giddy-up to it now and got my girl much closer to the 2strokes. The new tires are so much better than stock, especially the fronts, steers like it should now.

Here's a pick of my 8yo girl at our last race.
http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv342/ccdhowell/Caddo%20Point%20I/IMG_9369.jpg

I'll probably take the air box completely off and richen the carb up some more to see if I can get it any faster without going into the engine.

kfx450
08-12-2011, 06:39 PM
heres a pic of our new raptor

kfx450
08-12-2011, 07:14 PM
new 700 raptor bumper
longer upper bolts and spacers any 700 raptor bumper fits right on.

ccdhowell
08-12-2011, 09:07 PM
Very nice quad, I'm jealous, that's the one Laz at GT Thunder just sold isn't it? Man that little quad should haul the mail. I talked to Laz on the phone the day Brandon listed it on ebay, he told me about it, but it is just too far for me to drive to buy a quad. I hope you plan on racing it, let me know how it does on the track.

tls90lx
08-17-2011, 01:47 PM
What wheel and tire combos are you guys running? and have you had any issues with the wheel spacers cracking?? Thanks

ccdhowell
08-17-2011, 08:08 PM
We run: rear: Douglas .125 8x6 with DWT Jr XC tires, 18x6-8. Front: Douglas .160 10x5 with DWT Jr XC tires 19x6-10.

Haven't had any problems so far with wheels spacers cracking. You have to be careful getting spacers for the front because of the hub. I got these from a guy on ebay and they didn't fit the front at first. I took some measurements and sent them back to him and he machined them out to fit, now they are perfect. You definately need spacers with the wheels we run. The stock wheels have very little backspacing and aftermarket wheels have more backspacing, making the spacers mandatory, at least if you don't want the quad to get super narrow.

ccdhowell
08-17-2011, 08:11 PM
BTW I recently upgraded the stock carb to a Del Lorto carb from GT Thunder. I tried to put a Keihen PE carb but couldn't get the throttle cable worked out because of the stock throttle housing. I called GT Thunder and they have a carb that comes with a new throttle cable and Uni filter. The new carb works great, the little quad has much better throttle responce now, with no off-idle bog like it had before. Haven't seen it race with the new carb yet, it will be this weekend, hope it gets my girl closer to the 2strokes.

kfx450
08-18-2011, 06:21 PM
new nerf

kfx450
08-18-2011, 06:22 PM
pic 2

kfx450
08-18-2011, 06:24 PM
our bike has gt thunder a-arms with 4-1 wheels and they rub the a-arms just slightly on a full turn both ways. also have gt thunders carb and there is no bog pulls strong from bottom all the way through. We will be racing this bike for the first time this week end I think it can run in the woods with the 2 strokes.

tls90lx
08-18-2011, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. Same goal her is for my 9 yr old to be able to run with the 2 strokes.

ccdhowell
08-24-2011, 07:34 PM
KFX450, just wanted to say you are one lucky dude, that quad is awesome.

So did you stay with the 2strokes?

We raced this past weekend, placed third behind a well built Typhoon and a 2stroke. Don't think we have the speed to get past the 2strokes yet, my girl would catch up in the woods, but when she got to an open section the strokes would pull away and not give her any real opportunity to pass.

kfx450
08-24-2011, 11:18 PM
we had a great race came out second in our class. We run 45 min and the race was lost in the first 10 min. Pulled the hole shot by a couple bike lengths 9 in class. Spun out in first corner 3Rd into woods. caught second row about 5 min in leader got around then all went bad. Bottle neck when a kid hit a tree lost 5 min. Kids got out las to first so we are now last 5 min back. After a rough couple of laps we are in 2nd and stay there. The bright spot on the day is we ran equivalent lap time with drr 70, drr 90, and apex 90. Within a couple of seconds. The 70 runs gnccs and does well so i think the bbike can hang. We actualy need to find more traction as our rider is 55 lb.

Next step disc brakes hopefully this week

ccdhowell
08-25-2011, 11:03 AM
Yeah, that's a nice race report, sounds like your Raptor is where it needs to be.

I'd like to do disc brakes as well, how do you plan to do it? Post some pics and parts list if you would.

Thanks

kfx450
08-26-2011, 01:57 PM
alright disc brakes are on and work great. I put on a drr spindle and brake set up but you need adjustible a arms to make it work

I was looking at a apex this weekend and it looks like they use the same frame and a arm set up so if i was doing a stock quad i would get a complete long travel front end used and make it work but i would recomend a 50 as they are narrower and i think it will be hard to get the stock axle wide enough

ccdhowell
08-26-2011, 04:32 PM
Ok, thanks. Never realized the Drr and Apex a-arms were that narrow. I'll definitely take some measurements next time at the track, a buddy runs a DRR.

kfx450
08-26-2011, 05:58 PM
they are not like drr a arms the spindles worked. The a arms look almost exactly like apex a arms

tls90lx
09-14-2011, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by kfx450
pic 2

Could you tell me what wheel and tire combo that is on their. Looks good. And do you have spacers in the rear.

kfx450
09-20-2011, 07:58 AM
sorry I forgot to reply to this. they are 19 in razr cross front tires on 10in dwt rolled lip wheels 4-1 offset so wont help on a stock setup. the wheels will be for sale though as when I went to disk brakes we no have a different bolt pattern. also yes there are wheel spacers on the rear. I think you could get close with the right offset rear wheel.

kfx450
09-20-2011, 08:03 AM
getting more used to the raptor and getting our confidence up. we had a great race with a 6th overall behind 3 fast raptor 125s and 2 drrs. 3 of these kids run gnccs. I is still not as powerfull as a 2st but with the right rider can compete. We won our class and may be able to get up to 4th overall. not old enough to catch the leaders when it is cody collier and wyatt wilkings. normally both are in the top 10 the gncc's and cody has overalled 1 this year.

tls90lx
09-26-2011, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by kfx450
sorry I forgot to reply to this. they are 19 in razr cross front tires on 10in dwt rolled lip wheels 4-1 offset so wont help on a stock setup. the wheels will be for sale though as when I went to disk brakes we no have a different bolt pattern. also yes there are wheel spacers on the rear. I think you could get close with the right offset rear wheel.

How much would you sell the wheels for? lmk, I may be interested. They would have to be shipped. Thanks

kfx450
11-26-2011, 09:12 PM
our gt thunder raptor 90 for sale in classifieds.