PDA

View Full Version : To buy a bike, or not to buy a bike....

XCAdam89
05-11-2011, 10:18 PM
So guys, here's the dilemma. I've always "kinda" wanted a sportbike, but never really looked much into them as I've always preferred quads and riding off-road in general. Over the past few weeks, my old boss who I worked with for 4 years mentioned he was thinking about selling his R6 and knew I was somewhat interested...

It's an 03 (Fuel Injected year) with 9500 miles and supppper clean. Just wanted to see what you guys think is a fair price for it and how they are to sell if it turns out not to be for me. I think I'd love it though in all honesty.

Here's a few pics:
http://i553.photobucket.com/albums/jj389/XCAdam89/IMG_0621.jpg
http://i553.photobucket.com/albums/jj389/XCAdam89/IMG_0622.jpg
http://i553.photobucket.com/albums/jj389/XCAdam89/IMG_0623.jpg

Tommy Warren
05-12-2011, 02:48 PM
its pretty high mileage but if your just using it for a weekend cruise it will be sweet....I've had a few R6's and they are fun but if you ride to often you'll be looking for a bigger one soon

Sjorge450R
05-12-2011, 05:23 PM
9500 miles and its a 03? Tahts not bad at all. Thats like 1000 miles a year.

If you get a good price get it. I am going to pick up my 01 F4i next week sometime (I went to get it this past weekend, but the dude never transfered the title into his name because he never had cash to insure it)

Heres the thing. The bike is clean, you know the owner and it has low miles. Its a win win if you ask me. If you have the cash and want to get it, go ahead.

Remember though. Decent helmets start at $200, Jackets at $200, Gloves around $50, Pants -$? and then riding boots at $100+. The gear adds up. I just got done buying all of mine and i wish I would have realized how much i was spending since I never look at my bank account lol

Tommy Warren
05-12-2011, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge450R
9500 miles and its a 03? Tahts not bad at all. Thats like 1000 miles a year.

If you get a good price get it. I am going to pick up my 01 F4i next week sometime (I went to get it this past weekend, but the dude never transfered the title into his name because he never had cash to insure it)

Heres the thing. The bike is clean, you know the owner and it has low miles. Its a win win if you ask me. If you have the cash and want to get it, go ahead.

Remember though. Decent helmets start at $200, Jackets at $200, Gloves around $50, Pants -$? and then riding boots at $100+. The gear adds up. I just got done buying all of mine and i wish I would have realized how much i was spending since I never look at my bank account lol

sorry I thought it said 95000 and I'm in canada and there are a few bikes with 100 000 plus KILOMETERS....

also a funeral service is $20,000 and a casket is $10,000 so gear is a lot cheaper:eek: ;) :D

motox_rider695
05-12-2011, 08:28 PM
bike looks in really good shape, i myself just sold my rx7 and looking to buy a streetbike (newer r6)

def don't go cheap on the gear, it will save your life! and just remember, when your out riding, everybody is out to hit you.

ProspectorJim
05-13-2011, 04:17 PM
I'd go supermoto, but that is one nice bike.

krt400ex
05-14-2011, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by motox_rider695
bike looks in really good shape, i myself just sold my rx7 and looking to buy a streetbike (newer r6)

def don't go cheap on the gear, it will save your life! and just remember, when your out riding, everybody is out to hit you.

shouldnt have sold the rx7 lol

motox_rider695
05-14-2011, 09:38 PM
why should i of kept the rx7?

Jim417mx
05-14-2011, 10:02 PM
I bought a 89 ninja600 just cause I was in the same boat you were, always wanted one, just didnt know if I'd like it... Overall bikes are AWESOME, but get yourself some riding buddies! I got bored riding by myself, but nothing beats the fresh air and crisp throttle :D Btw that bike looks sick

honda400ex2003
05-14-2011, 10:39 PM
if you want it, get it. they are great for the occasional ride out in town or for a nice country cruise. i havent had mine out in 4 weeks lol. no nice days yet when im not real busy. im a pretty fair weather rider so it has to be at least 40 degrees and no rain in the forecast at all. rain sucks...

they are a great way to get out and relax and enjoy a day while mixing it up. sometimes the atvs and cars get old, thats when its time for the bike.

steve

krt400ex
05-15-2011, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by motox_rider695
why should i of kept the rx7?

those cars are rare, no matter what gen. and stupid fast if you build them right. beautiful lines too. nothing like a rotary engine. i'm a car guy though lol.

that said, the r6 looks good. i'd buy it. the miles are really good for its age, i have a friend with a cbr600 same year and he has 28k on his. although, like someone said before, if you can find a supermoto i'd do that. they handle better than any street bike, and i know a guy who has a gsxr750 and a ktm 525 supermoto, he claims the ktm gets to 60 faster

XCAdam89
05-15-2011, 08:35 PM
Thanks for all the input guys, but I decided not to get it :( I could have afforded it, but my daily driver is pretty inpractical due to sitting almost on the ground :devil: So a daily driver truck is more important to me right now, but I definately plan on getting a bike in the near future.

This was just an opportunity that came up and I decided to be responsible and realize that I didn't really NEED it, haha.

On that note, any recommendations on a cheap daily driver truck?? I'm looking at 1st gen. S10's and 93-97 Ford Ranger's for now...

motox_rider695
05-15-2011, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by XCAdam89
Thanks for all the input guys, but I decided not to get it :( I could have afforded it, but my daily driver is pretty inpractical due to sitting almost on the ground :devil: So a daily driver truck is more important to me right now, but I definately plan on getting a bike in the near future.

This was just an opportunity that came up and I decided to be responsible and realize that I didn't really NEED it, haha.

On that note, any recommendations on a cheap daily driver truck?? I'm looking at 1st gen. S10's and 93-97 Ford Ranger's for now...

if you dont mind me asking, how much was he asking for it?

XCAdam89
05-16-2011, 11:22 AM
I'm pretty sure he was asking 3600 OBO for it, but he said I could have it for 3k since I've known him for so long. If you're interested I could get you in touch with him if you'd like.

motox_rider695
05-16-2011, 01:56 PM
I'm pretty sure he was asking 3600 OBO for it, but he said I could have it for 3k since I've known him for so long. If you're interested I could get you in touch with him if you'd like.

i'd def buy it man but the only problem is that'd be an 8 hr drive for me. Maybe i can talk to the gf about going on vacation n really end up picking up the bike:D

if you dont mind and its ok with you boss though, mind giving me his email cuz i'd like to ask more about the bike.

JLanphear
05-17-2011, 08:45 PM
Bikes are a lot of fun, but a lot more fun if you have friends that ride them too.

$3k is about the right price for that bike also.

Good luck!

motox_rider695
05-19-2011, 07:56 PM

you boss still got the bike?

ZBlaster
05-20-2011, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
its pretty high mileage but if your just using it for a weekend cruise it will be sweet....I've had a few R6's and they are fun but if you ride to often you'll be looking for a bigger one soon

High mileage? :confused: I love when people who have no idea about things try to put in their 2 cents.

I work at a bike shop, I see sportbikes EVERY day with 30k+, we have a regular with a CBR F4i with 120k on it, he makes yearly trips out west on it. My personal R1 has 9k on it and you'd never know it. My buddies GSXR600 is sitting on 25k, my uncle has an 02 R1 with 45k on it, and that's just to name a few. Bikes are like anything else, if taken care of, maintenance done on time, and properly they will have a nice long life. I ride as hard as anyone you'll find and when I sold my last R6 it had 22k on it and you'd never know it had more than 2k.

ZBlaster
05-20-2011, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
sorry I thought it said 95000 and I'm in canada and there are a few bikes with 100 000 plus KILOMETERS....

also a funeral service is $20,000 and a casket is $10,000 so gear is a lot cheaper:eek: ;) :D

Sorry, just saw that post. I'm just used to seeing the typical forum poster thinking no sportbike can possibly last more than 10k.