PDA

View Full Version : clutch basket help plz

reconracer64
05-11-2011, 08:42 PM
hey guys i just got my first 250r not to long ago and if ur like me i like to go through a bike just to make sure everything is ok...so i took off the clutch cover because i wanted to look in the and mic the clutch fibers to make sure they were in spec and how long i have left on that clutch... the clutch fibers were all good but when i took out the clutch plates the clutch basket has some play in it i could be wrong but i dont think there should be any up down motion of the clutch basket...the clutch boss has no play to it just the clutch basket...so is there supposted to be play and if not do u know what would make it have that play and how do u get the nut off to remove the clutch basket...as i do not have a clutch boss holder...any imput would be much appreciated

hartwill
05-11-2011, 08:52 PM
Leave about half the stack of steels and fibers in the basket while loosening the nut. The friction should hold it in place.. credits of this technique go to chino..

wilkin250r
05-11-2011, 09:20 PM
Most people I know use an impact gun to get the nut off, because you don't need much to hold it. Some people even hold the basket with their hands (and a leather work glove).

But clutch holding tools aren't too expensive. The Motion Pro tool is about $30, the Tusk tool is basically the same thing at about half the price.

hartwill
05-11-2011, 09:22 PM
Yes I forgot to mention the impact makes it much easier..

reconracer64
05-11-2011, 09:38 PM
thanks guys but do any of you know if there is supposed to be play in the clutch basket or not...like is there a bearing on the back of the clutch basket that could go bad and make it have play but not the clutch boss

skyhighatv
05-11-2011, 10:09 PM
Put/jam a rag in the gear that mesh with the gear on the back of the basket and use an impact gun,if you dont have access to an impact try a 1/2 in ratchet or breaker bar,the rag will keep the basket from spinning. I actually made a tool so the basket and hub dont spin with 2 old steels and one fiber,drilled and bolted together,or u can clamp them with a pair of needle nose vise grips,and to answer your question every R motor that ive owned or worked on had some play in the basket and it seems to be the consensus with most people here,hope this helps..

nathan89
05-11-2011, 11:06 PM
my 250r had some play in the stock basket, and even after i replaced the needle bearings and the basket with a new barrnett the play was still there.

jcs003
05-12-2011, 02:05 AM
mine has alot of play and its been there for a while. even after a basket replacement. still works great.

reconracer64
05-12-2011, 12:36 PM
ok thanks guys when i first got it the clutch worked fine with no problems i just didnt know if it was ok for some play to be there...but i guess its fine so im not gonna worry about it