PDA

View Full Version : 450r not firing

dwb_style
05-11-2011, 06:37 PM
i got an 07 450r and its not fireing. its not getting any fire to the coil. ive checked the kill switch and the key switch and they seem fine. i see no broken wires. what else could be the problem?

DnB_racing
05-11-2011, 07:15 PM
did you perform all the electrical troubleshooting checks that the manual advises in chapter 22?

IOWAracer
05-12-2011, 12:46 AM
Have you checked the coil itself has two wires running to it they are notorious for coming off... if not there start looking for a broken wire...

DnB_racing
05-12-2011, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by dwb_style
i got an 07 450r and its not fireing. its not getting any fire to the coil. ive checked the kill switch and the key switch and they seem fine. i see no broken wires. what else could be the problem? its more then likely NOT a broken wire

do you still have the throttle safety hooked up??if you have less then 3/16 free play in your throttle cable, you get no spark...

if the throttle lever is closed and the carb slide is open the system thinks your throttle is stuck open and kills spark to the cdi...it can be bypassed very safely and easy

but this is all covered in the manual.
if not this I advise checking service manual

wckedclownz69
05-20-2011, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
its more then likely NOT a broken wire

do you still have the throttle safety hooked up??if you have less then 3/16 free play in your throttle cable, you get no spark...

if the throttle lever is closed and the carb slide is open the system thinks your throttle is stuck open and kills spark to the cdi...it can be bypassed very safely and easy

but this is all covered in the manual.
if not this I advise checking service manual

wow the new safety features are pretty lame

KEVIN132
05-21-2011, 11:57 AM
swap the cdi with a buddy quick..and chk

dwb_style
05-27-2011, 09:08 PM
replaced the cdi, coil, plug, checked kill switch and switches on carb and throttle. all good still no spark.

mikey726
05-28-2011, 06:41 AM
If you have a Pro Design or Magnum (P.D. copy) kill switch, is the clip on the end of the cord loose when it's plugged in? If it is, you can screw the barrel (the part that slides in and out) tighter so when you plug the tether in it breaks contact.

DnB_racing
05-28-2011, 08:42 PM
unplug any connector that has a black wire and check to see if you have continuity to ground from your black wire....with everything in run position it should have no continuity to ground if there is continuity something is grounded and it wont have spark

dwb_style
05-30-2011, 07:59 PM
ok ill try that and see. thanks

dwb_style
06-19-2011, 10:00 PM
ok im having no luck at all. whats left? all wires good, coil and cdi r new, new plug. i checked with a meter and its only getting like .05 volts to the coil so somethings wrong. could the stator be bad? thats the only thing i can think of.

DnB_racing
06-20-2011, 06:39 AM
ok im having no luck at all. whats left? all wires good, coil and cdi r new, new plug. i checked with a meter and its only getting like .05 volts to the coil so somethings wrong. could the stator be bad? thats the only thing i can think of. did you do all the resistance checks for the stator??....but Ive had the stator check good and still fail when hot, but if your getting almost no spark you should see bad resistance readings

atvextremerider
06-20-2011, 12:22 PM
replaced the cdi, coil, plug, checked kill switch and switches on carb and throttle. all good still no spark. do you have any ground wires

bigbillg
06-23-2011, 04:42 AM
did you check your stater use a test light crank it over and see if any power is coming out

number52
06-25-2011, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by bigbillg
did you check your stater use a test light crank it over and see if any power is coming out

I hate to tell you but it's output is AC voltage so that won't work.

bigbillg
06-25-2011, 09:00 PM
it will work i used 2 wires some black tape and a turn signal bulb but you can also buy one at any auto store or at wal mart

number52
06-26-2011, 06:37 AM
Unplug the connectors at the CDI that has a blue/yellow and the one with a green/white. Put a volt meter between them on AC volts and let me know what it reads while turning the engine over. should have a minimum of .7v

Then in the same plug with the blue/yellow there will be a green wire. You should have continuity to ground with it.

Then check the Black/White wire and you should NOT have continuity to ground.

Then I would see how many AC volts you're getting from the excitor coil and I would recommend a minimum of 50v while cranking the engine.

DnB_racing
06-26-2011, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by number52
Unplug the connectors at the CDI that has a blue/yellow and the one with a green/white. Put a volt meter between them on AC volts and let me know what it reads while turning the engine over. should have a minimum of .7v

Then in the same plug with the blue/yellow there will be a green wire. You should have continuity to ground with it.

Then check the Black/White wire and you should NOT have continuity to ground.

Then I would see how many AC volts you're getting from the excitor coil and I would recommend a minimum of 50v while cranking the engine. just make sure you have a good meter for the voltage tests,

one with a min/max hold, a fluke 87 is perfect but there are cheaper ones, a 20 dollar radio shack meter wont show anything,

you need some sort of a peak volt meter to show the voltage

also one thing to remember is if the quad isnt turning over fast enough there will be no spark, try push starting it