PDA

View Full Version : air force?

woodsracer144
05-11-2011, 11:34 AM
any one in the air force? I've been wanting to fly for a while and thought this might be a way.. just dont know how it is, and i know the recruter's are full a bull $h!t.

Im 19 right now and im waiting to go to school for welding and mechine tool, not trying to brag or anything but theres a shop by me that i know the GM of it and he said he could get me in once im done and they start out at 18.50 Hr. + benf. ( health dental ins.) for full timer's

so that would be roughly 38-40 K a year working just 40hr's and no OT, if i even got in there.

please share your storys and input

miller821
05-11-2011, 06:01 PM
What exactly do you mean by "fly"? If you want to be a pilot start working on your bachelor's degree and join the Air Force as an officer. That is the only way that you will actually be a pilot... There's a lot of other job's however, where you are often flying and taking care of a certain task on the plane itself.

40K is pretty good money for a starting salary.

The AF starting out your only going to make $1200-1500 a month depending on what rank you can come in with. However, housing allowances, food allowances, spouse/dependent allowances, SGLI, GI bill, etc. can certainly make up for the lack of actual cash (Assuming you qualify).

In the end, it all depends on what you plan to get out of the military. For me, I chose Reserves mainly for the schooling and training. I graduate my tech school in 1.5mos and will be fully qualified for the civilian side of my job.

There's a lot of opportunities available... Just remember that even though it is the chair force, your still in the military. Service before self sometimes comes at a price.

woodsracer144
05-11-2011, 07:47 PM
I hear ya, when I first started I just wanted to work on the trucks or planes but now I was thinking about flying them im kinda unsure on what to do?

mx Eli
05-14-2011, 12:25 PM
if ya go to the air force ill take care of your quads, just drop em off here:D