PDA

View Full Version : walsh, leagers +4 shock ??

woodsracer144
05-11-2011, 10:32 AM
would it much matter if the shocks were built for a +4 leagers, walsh or stock chassis?

thanks

SilverLake250R
05-11-2011, 11:08 AM
Not exactly sure what you mean, but I have some PEP's for sale off my Walsh chassis with +4's

woodsracer144
05-11-2011, 11:25 AM
ok if a guy had a leagers +4 and the shocks were fresh and then he put them on a walsh, would it make a difference? there is also a gu on here with a stock chassis running a +4 pro traxx ( socal i think is is username) would it effect ride if you went with a wide frame +4 shocks and put them on a narrow frame.

250Renvy
05-11-2011, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by woodsracer144
ok if a guy had a leagers +4 and the shocks were fresh and then he put them on a walsh, would it make a difference? there is also a gu on here with a stock chassis running a +4 pro traxx ( socal i think is is username) would it effect ride if you went with a wide frame +4 shocks and put them on a narrow frame.

I think it's safe to say you post quite a bit. Have you ever realized it's very hard for people to understand what you write?

Being that this is a forum with written words, we can't always tell what you are talking about, so take a few more minutes and read what you wrote and see if you even understand it.

Some basic hints for writing, which I'll admit I don't always follow are:

Read you post out loud. When you pause, put a comma (,) when you stop put a period. (.) Put one thought in one sentence. This will make it better for everybody.

Lastly, use spellcheck as well as capital letters for the beginning of a sentence.

woodsracer144
05-11-2011, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by 250Renvy
I think it's safe to say you post quite a bit. Have you ever realized it's very hard for people to understand what you write?

Being that this is a forum with written words, we can't always tell what you are talking about, so take a few more minutes and read what you wrote and see if you even understand it.

Read you post out loud. When you pause, put a comma (,) when you stop put a period. (.) Put one thought in one sentence. This will make it better for everybody.

Lastly, use spellcheck as well as capital letters for the beginning of a sentence.

I won't bother you guys then, I'll remove my self from the forums.

first post is kinda clear not? If i had front shocks built for +4 a-arms and they were on a leagers would it differ them on a walsh or any other quad as long as they were + 4's.

89trx250r
05-11-2011, 12:44 PM
I think what he's asking is if he had a +4 setup laegers and wanted to switch to a different frame would the shocks remain the same length or would it require different length shocks And socal doesn't run a protrax he just had +4 long travel arms built for his stock frame...

rayman375
05-11-2011, 01:01 PM
I think it does matter, you should call someone that sets up shocks. They ask what kind of frame and arms you're using before setting up so they can figure leverage ratios because not all a-arms have the same shock mount point. Not sure but the Laeger and Walsh frame may have different upper shock mount locations, giving the shock a different angle.

woodsracer144
05-11-2011, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by 89trx250r
I think what he's asking is if he had a +4 setup laegers and wanted to switch to a different frame would the shocks remain the same length or would it require different length shocks And socal doesn't run a protrax he just had +4 long travel arms built for his stock frame...

i thought he had a +4 pro trax on there, my bad, sorry. i know he had +4's with a stock chassis.

and you are right about what im asking.

will shocks built for a +4 a-arm work with a +4 walsh, leagers or any other +4 a-arm/ chassis combo.

89trx250r
05-11-2011, 01:16 PM
Rayman nailed it great post

250Renvy
05-11-2011, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by woodsracer144
I won't bother you guys then, I'll remove my self from the forums.

first post is kinda clear not? If i had front shocks built for +4 a-arms and they were on a leagers would it differ them on a walsh or any other quad as long as they were + 4's.

Dramatic, just take more time on your posts and actually read them and think how others would feel reading them and not understanding. How can they help if they can't understand.

Look what you wrote: "first post is kinda clear not?"

Don't you think it makes more sense to write: First post is pretty clear, is it not?

The answer no.

There are so many other things wrong with your posts it would take years of lessons to get them right.

--------------

On another note to answer your question about shocks, NO they would not be exactly the same.

Lasher
05-11-2011, 01:38 PM
If the upper shock mounts are in a different location, then the shocks might be set up wrong.

For example, (this is coming from Micah at Custom Axis)

Most Laeger builds call for 19 inch extended length, but one build (sorry don't know details) calls for 19 1/4 inch extended length. Both types require different compressed lengths as well.

Walsh builds call for 18 3/4 inch extended length.

This was told to me during discussions with Custom Axis on finding front shocks for my Walsh Hybrid build.

There are three things that could impact if a shock can be moved from one type of build to another.

Are the upper shock mounts the same?
Are the lower shock mounts the same?
Is the leverage ratio between the two builds the same?

05-11-2011, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by 250Renvy

Lol.

socal
05-11-2011, 04:13 PM
I would think as long as the shock length reqiured for any brand is the same they would work.The stroke remains the same.In my case,the shocks came form a +3 Gibson front end and are now on my +4 Laegers front end,both arm sets require 19 1/4 shocks.Due to the extra 2 inches of width I thought they may be too soft but they feel fine.Im still setting adjustments and ride height and will have my first ride soon.If I have to have them revalved,so be it!

hontrx265r
05-11-2011, 04:31 PM
I didn't read all of this, but to start with you have some very different setups going on. Not all walsh frames are the same, and not all laegers are the same.

Ok walsh Long travel are supposed to be under 19, I think 18.5. Will a 19 work..yes, will it be correct.. no

Laegers tpin uses 19", ball joint long travel laegers use 19.25" can they flip flop...yes.. will it be correct...no..

Again even all this can change depending on shock body and stroke relationship. Say I have a tpin and 2 sets of shocks. Both shocks using the same length body with different length shafts.. one comes out 19 the other 19.25... So what have I done? I've gained a little travel by using the 19.25 shock. However the bike now has a higher ride height, but will bottom at the correct height.

Now change that scenario to using the same shock shafts, and different bodies. again both shocks end to end come out 19 and 19.25. What have I done? Well now I've changed where the bikes bottoms. This could have very negative effects if the frame bottoms before the shock... Shoveling the ground...

This is hardly in depth but I want to give you an idea of what can happen when you mismatch parts, not knowing what your actually getting.

C41Xracer
05-11-2011, 04:33 PM
There are a few things you need to fond out first. The other chassis' extended and compressed length and the same for you. like lasher was saying on his walsh that he needed a shorter shock and my guess is its the same for you. To answer your question, yes you could use the shocks off of another quad with the same width a arm as long as the extended and compressed lengths are the same.

woodsracer144
05-12-2011, 01:02 AM
What about when a guy runs the same quad in tt. And mx? Im talking abound lowering the front end.

hontrx265r
05-12-2011, 09:32 AM
A well setup tt bike and a well setup mx bike will not use the same shocks.
Can you race a mx bike in tt.. sure, but probably get your *** handed to you.

Lasher
05-12-2011, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by hontrx265r
A well setup tt bike and a well setup mx bike will not use the same shocks.
Can you race a mx bike in tt.. sure, but probably get your *** handed to you.

One of the reasons the GNC split years ago. In order to compete a rider needed two different quads (or complete setups), one for TT and one for MX.

Back then, it was 6 MX races and 6 TT races for the championship.

woodsracer144
05-12-2011, 09:55 AM
yeah i know you can run both types (mx tt tracks) on mx shock lengths, i did last winter in ice racing in C cause it start have the way through the season and first year so i just tested thing...

im saying for setting up shocks to you set the quad to a TT ride height and then get the specs for mount spots or what?

fastrnrik
05-12-2011, 11:35 AM
Shocks set up for TT and MX are two totally different deals. Even if the shocks are the correct eye to eye length (compressed, extended, etc) the valving is totally different. The bike setups are just totally different- ride height, sag, travel, swaybar, swingarm length difffernces, so & so on.
A good example is my last 250R. It was an LRD frame with Pro-Trax long travel frontend. It was an MX bike when I bought it and not the "ideal" TT setup with the long travel & such. We knew it would suck, but just for grins we threw flat track tires on it with the MX setup and tried it out just to see how it was, and yep, it sucked. I had the shocks (PEP's) rebuilt for TT and put the correct TT swingarm, swaybar, etc on the bike and it was an awesome handling bike. Ran it like that for a few years until the local TT track closed. I then put the MX stuff back on- tires, swingarm, etc but didn't have any MX shocks, so I left the TT PEP's on it and went to local MX track just to play around. To say it sucked would be an understatement.
My point is- just because shocks "fit" doesn't mean they work correctly. There's way more variables to shocks than "if they fit" To me it's not worth ending up on my lid because I cut corners to save a few bucks on shock valving/setup. My advice is get whatever shocks you have set up for you, your bikes setup, and what type of racing you do. Not only is it safer, but it will make you faster because you're not fighting an ill handling setup.
And if you think it's tough dialing in shocks on a big quad, try getting the little shocks on a mini quad dialed in!LOL My son races mini's and they are a pain!! LOL
Just my $.02

Oh yeah, and I wish the nationals were STILL like the old GNC's with half TT & half MX. I liked it like that.

woodsracer144
05-12-2011, 02:11 PM
Yeah, i talked with mark ( profab) hes the guy i got my walsh chassis from and he helped me out, I've got a small can PEP rear from him and my axis fronts so i could at least ride it for the time being untill i got my setup decided on shocks choice. I think im going to order a set of PEP's when the time comes and then make these my flat track set. I'll have things coming in the mail soon so i'll start a full build with it and post up some pics. waiting to hear on some +4 walsh arms and then i'll be set for a full walsh quad.

I'm gonna get it all together and make sure everything bolts up nice and then i'll get it all PC'd and chromed. and then i'll prolly race it twice and then let it sit in the shop :) haha

quadfmx
06-01-2011, 01:40 AM
I am not positive and this could differ from walsh to laeger to whoever but the narrow chassis and wide or normal width chassis usually have a different length shock for the same length a-arm

So what length shocks have u got on it now?
what style rear link are you running and what length shock did your rear end up being, and is it an 888-89 std length wing arm

woodsracer144
06-02-2011, 01:11 AM
Frame will be here tomorrow, still waiting on some stuff...

I can't tell you what your asking just yet cause I don't know it

mx Eli
06-02-2011, 05:51 AM
becuase of the way walsh has there shock tower the leverage ratio is differant i would think, and correct me if i'm wrong but socal has regular +4 leager's with ball joints

socal
06-02-2011, 09:47 AM
Yes,my +4s are ball joint,not T-pin!

woodsracer144
06-02-2011, 10:58 AM
yeah so then when i would adjust the towers for ride hight wouldnt that effect it also? not going to make a huge deal out of it but just saying that the little things should effect it not?

Lasher
06-02-2011, 11:01 AM
I have been told that you use the adjustments on the shock towers to set the ride height at full compression.

I orginally thought you used them to set the ride height rather than the pre-load settings. But I was told differently.

You put the frame on 2x4's and set the shock towers to the compressed length of your shock.

Again, I could be wrong once more.

woodsracer144
06-02-2011, 12:26 PM
Yeah time will tell, its gonna be a learning moment that's for sure