PDA

View Full Version : Watch to wear while riding

kbnorth99
05-11-2011, 09:28 AM
What kind of watch do you guys wear while riding?

I know a lot of people don't wear one but I can't stand to be without one. I have a decent looking Pulsar but the vibration and shock of wearing it while riding it is destroying it. I have been looking at the Casio G-Shock watches of course but I don't like the look of them for everyday use. I found a Casio Pathfinder Protrek that I like and they look kinda like a nicer G-Shocks but I am wondering if they are as tough.

I like the Protrek PRG-500T. It the triple sensor with the thermometer/barometer, altimeter, and compass which would be very useful when riding the trails in the mountains.

So chime in guys. Tell what you use.

OldGuyonaQuad
05-11-2011, 10:20 AM
Cell phone in my pocket or back pack, looking at a watch while riding would result in me trying to take out an oak tree wit my 400.

kbnorth99
05-11-2011, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by OldGuyonaQuad
Cell phone in my pocket or back pack, looking at a watch while riding would result in me trying to take out an oak tree wit my 400.

OK so let's be clear. I do STOP before I look at my watch. But I don't like carrying a phone with me. I'm Obsessive Compulsive and not having a watch on my wrist is an issue for me.

OutlawBill
05-11-2011, 01:46 PM
Casio pathfinder it will put hole in your jersey if you pull it over watch

Scro
05-11-2011, 04:06 PM
I know of several people that would wrap one around the barpad to keep track of laptimes. They used the cheap Wal-mart brand, and never had any issues.

Family Guy
05-11-2011, 04:28 PM
I have been wearing a G shock while riding for the last 6 years or so. I have no issues with it.

CJM
05-11-2011, 07:36 PM
Timex, whatever cheap one works for you.

I dont worry about time myself to much, but I also have a small backpack i put my stuff in as well.

jzexrider
05-11-2011, 10:11 PM
Ive had a $30 Timex strapped on my handlebars for 4 years and its still goin.

finsteratv
05-11-2011, 10:44 PM
cheap timex on the handlebars. do the same for cycling and mountain biking.

Tommy Warren
05-12-2011, 12:25 PM
rolex or nixon

slightlybent47
05-12-2011, 01:49 PM
Looks like this would be a great time for you to learn to live without a watch.
Riding should not have a time limit or be governed by a clock, this time should be used to forget about your troubles and just enjoy the ride.

Tommy Warren
05-12-2011, 01:57 PM
if you really have OCD than you can't ride in the dirt anyways

kbnorth99
05-12-2011, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
Looks like this would be a great time for you to learn to live without a watch.
Riding should not have a time limit or be governed by a clock, this time should be used to forget about your troubles and just enjoy the ride.

Great advice... But I still want one.

Originally posted by Tommy Warren
if you really have OCD than you can't ride in the dirt anyways

You may not understand OCD as well as you think. The compulsions are pretty random and they vary in intensity based on the individual. You may be confusing OCD with Anal Retentive. OCD doesn't have anything to do with dirt or dirty. Germaphobia is a very common issue associated with OCD but it also does not have anything to do with dirt (necessarily) it pertains to germs and/or infections. The compulsions that each person feels is very individual. I for instance have several irrational ticks that I simply cannot stop doing. I have no problem with dirt but the feeling of dry dirt or dust on my fingers is very hard to deal with. Mud is no problem but dry dirt is tough. So I keep water and lotion with me when I ride and I never ride without my gloves. It's all about recognizing your issues and dealing with them.

So yes Tommy I can ride in the dirt. But I'm not a fan of Rolex watches in general. They're just not my style.

Tommy Warren
05-12-2011, 02:46 PM
so what happens if you don't have a watch? do you have anxiety attacks or something? I have a severe anxiety disorder which is linked to agoraphobia...meaning I can't go out in public around large crowds or I have a pannick attack

kbnorth99
05-12-2011, 03:13 PM
so what happens if you don't have a watch? do you have anxiety attacks or something? I have a severe anxiety disorder which is linked to agoraphobia...meaning I can't go out in public around large crowds or I have a pannick attack

No my compulsion is much different than that. I don't have panic attacks. The compulsion part of it is hard to explain. There's no fear although there is usually some anxiety. Take the watch for instance. I can go without one but it doesn't feel right and my wrist physically feels strange. The feeling is something I cannot ignore and eventually I have a very hard time focusing on anything else. That's when the anxiety sets in. You know the feeling you have when you have to pee but it's not so bad yet that you feel actual pain. The feeling is there and it's extremely annoying, you can't ignore it but it doesn't actually hurt. It's kinda like that. It takes the fun out of anything and everything. Some are worse than others. For me the worst is a physical tick that I have with my throat. It is almost physically impossible for me to stop doing it and I don't know why. It causes all sorts of problems for me in business meetings but I work around it.

I assume for your disorder, getting out and riding the quad must be very therapeutic. For me the ride is therapeutic but it does create some other challenges, all of which are well worth it.

Tommy Warren
05-12-2011, 04:54 PM
you are completely right. Going out on the quad takes my mind completly off of everything....unfortunatly my motor is being stroked and is getting some head work so I can't ride for a while. But its like vin diesel said "I live my life a quater mile at a time in that 10 seconds or less I'm free" Well It lasts a lot longer than 10 seconds for me....I'm free until I park the bike....

so riding without a watch would kind of be like having a wedgy the whole time....just uncomfortable and distracting....its understandable:)

kbnorth99
05-12-2011, 04:57 PM

so riding without a watch would kind of be like having a wedgy the whole time....just uncomfortable and distracting....its understandable:)

I've been trying to explain this to people for over 40 years and you just hit the nail on the head in only a couple hours. :)

finsteratv
05-12-2011, 04:58 PM
I do use riding as a way to get away and be free..but when dinner lunch or breakfast is ready i need to know! haha

kbnorth99
05-12-2011, 05:04 PM
What I am thinking of now is buying a small portable gps to carry in a pocket or maybe mount on the bars and then just get a g-shock to wear for time. The gps will give me altitude so I can adjust the carb and jets in the field and when I am out on the logging trails in No. CA it will help me find my way back.

Sjorge450R
05-12-2011, 05:27 PM
the GPS will have a clock on it...... I have never seen one without a clock

Tommy Warren
05-12-2011, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge450R
the GPS will have a clock on it...... I have never seen one without a clock
its not about the clock its about the watch......

kbnorth99
05-12-2011, 06:04 PM
its not about the clock its about the watch...... Tommy gets it. But it is about both... kinda... Let's face it, I also want a new gadget or two.:D

tri5ron
05-12-2011, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by kbnorth99
Tommy gets it. But it is about both... kinda... Let's face it, I also want a new gadget or two.:D i just duct tape a stick and a compass to my wrist.
When riding, I figure a sundial is as close as I need, to care what time it is :D :D :D

slightlybent47
05-12-2011, 06:51 PM
If it's not about the time but the watch, then just wear any old watch.

Tommy Warren
05-12-2011, 09:26 PM
get a cheap waterproof timex and a trail tech vapour

kbnorth99
05-13-2011, 09:03 AM
get a cheap waterproof timex and a trail tech vapour

That is kinda what I am thinking. Except I was looking at the Trail Tech Voyager for the gps functions. I figure if I'm gonna get a computer, might as well get one that can help me find my way around. So the next question is should I get a mounted gps like the Voyager (speedo, temp, runs on vehicle power) or should I get a hand held so I can also use it on foot?

kbnorth99
05-13-2011, 09:18 AM
So I started a new thread to ask the question about which type of gps.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=466968

Thanks for the input guys.

fastredrider44
05-13-2011, 09:44 AM
I have a G-Shock, but I RARELY wear a watch. I have used it when biking more than riding.

honda400ex2003
05-13-2011, 12:53 PM
citizen eco drive would work well. charged by the sun, starting at 300 bucks or so, and they are pretty kicking.

thats my newest watch anyway, def a nice watch and looks good. no need to charge it up any more or anything.

on the gps, go with the garmin. they are great handhelds. I really like my dakota 20. I wasnt going to respond but since you have it linked here to i figured i would put my input.

steve