PDA

View Full Version : Proving Grounds training day

06typeS
05-11-2011, 07:58 AM
Just wanted to give a write up, of my day out at the Breezewood Proving grounds and the training day they offer.

*Sorry for the book a head of time **no cliff notes

This is not the dream camp that they offer during the summer, this is a one day camp with Dan Harris and the reisdent mechanic Kevin.

I ride a lot of trails around PA but never been on a dirt track before and figured this was the next step i wanted to take. I signed up back in march it was 150 bucks, and it covered your meals (breakfast and lunch), your track time and instruction.

So after the hour drive in the morning we rolled in about 8 i think sign ups were at 8:30. We pull up to sign in and i get out of the truck and its started to hail, nothing huge but still hoping out of the truck and it only be 40 degrees was not what i was hoping for considering the past couple days were in the mid 50's.

Anyhow got signed up and got the quad unloaded and got geared up, met inside where everyone was at and got some breakfast. Your typical juice, egg's, bagles were provided.

So we head out to the small track to get started and of course it starts raining as soon as we get out there (not a down pour but a steady rain). First thing we were going to work on were jumps. Me never being on a track before we used the small track just to work on the feel of the quad taking the jumps and using smooth consistant throttle and the quick blip's of the throttle to keep the rev's up.

06typeS
05-11-2011, 07:58 AM
After an hour or so we moved on over to the intermediate track. We started out on some small table tops and pretty easy jumps, just kept working to clear the jump from take off to landing. We moved to different jumps through out the course, taking a break about 2 hours in, to wash and scrape the mutant mud that just sticks to everything.

Moving on we started to work on a double and the grand stand jump and just continued to work on the throttle control and rev's and getting feed back from Dan and Kevin as needed for little things to tweak here and there to help become a better rider.

We took lunch which the food was great, your typical burgers and dogs chips and so on. After riding for 3 hours in 40 degree weather and rain it was great to come in and get something to eat.

After lunch we worked on taking different lines and the shortest route to the turn rather than the standard wider line that most people take. The downfall is that as soon as the other person got in front all you did was eat mud. But this really showed the opportunies that you can make the pass in different corners.

06typeS
05-11-2011, 07:59 AM
We also worked on some body position taking tighter turns and using the rear break and clutch to the quad to turn. With it being muddy as all heck it was a pretty good challenge and this is one thing i could def use a lot more work on. Being 28 i def don't feel as limber as i do at 19 but still i was having a blast. Again more feed back from Kevin and Dan as we worked through each of the drills. Feed back was great to it wasn't over bearing just trying to help you out and see what worked best for you.

We moved to seat bumping with using the tighter turn technique since you didn't have the speed that you would if you took the turn wide. I didn't feel comfortable at all using this technique but i think that was more due to my lack of track time and experience. My natural reaction was to constantly stand up and after talking with Dan we worked out that would be something to work on later and to keep working the body postion/rear brake/ clutch combo.

After that Dan and Kevin let it open to us on what we wanted to work on. There were a few jumps we didn't cover and my goal was to be able to make complete laps. So I worked with Kevin one on one on some other jumps that we didn't hit. After a while Kevin said things looked good and cut me loose.

This point i was soaked from the rain, on my second pair of gloves had an additional sweatshirt on. Covered in so much mud my blue jacket was now brown and carrying an additional 15 pounds because of all the mud.

06typeS
05-11-2011, 08:01 AM
But i hung out another hour or so and just rode the track, there was hardly anyone else out there so it let me work on some lines i wanted to try and just practice everything we learned through out the day.

I had a great time and wouldn't hesitate to do it again, everything was well worth the money and the Dan and Kevin are great to work with. They are both laid back and easy going and just willing to shoot the sh*t with you. They were willing to help us on all aspects of riding and really covered everything from a true beginner like myself to someone who has had previous track time and expeirence.

Both offered to ride with me next time im there, and i will def take them up on their offer.

Myself coming from a road racing back round, riding mx is completely different, riding mx is def a lot more physical and i see why guys that road race ride mx for the some of the training.

If you haven't been out to breezewood and met Dan and Kevin i highly suggest. If you never been on an mx track and want to i would highly suggest the training day. I feel confident now that i could go to a local track learn the jumps and enjoy myself.

I never plan on racing, but enjoy the track aspect of quad riding and look foward to going out to breezewood this summer.

06typeS
05-11-2011, 09:12 AM
another

06typeS
05-11-2011, 09:14 AM
Sorry for the crappy pics, took pictures on my phone of actual photo's

dan harris
05-13-2011, 05:44 AM
Hey Kyle,

Thanks for the great write up on the park and the rider training day. We enjoyed having you here, wish the weather would of been better for us. Looking forward to riding with you again.

Anyone interested in doing our 4day 4night Dream Camp at the Proving Grounds should email me at Breezewoodprovinggrounds.com.