PDA

View Full Version : 400EX Reliability

jrb737
05-10-2011, 08:39 PM
Hello all,

Just curious if most folks have had the same great reliability as I have had w/ my EX.

Mine is a 1999 that I have had since 2001 and (knock on wood) have had no problems w/ it. I've always used Mobile One 10w-40 synthetic racing oil and a K&N air filter. The thing runs just as good and strong as it did when I first bought it. I just wish it had reverse sometimes!!

Jeff

finsteratv
05-10-2011, 09:40 PM
its a honda :D :macho

Rkangel7
05-10-2011, 10:41 PM
Short of a good carb cleaning and replacing a battery I've had no problems. I'm the third owner, too. So, who know how much use it's seen prior to me.

dxcody
05-11-2011, 01:30 AM
Very very Good quads, All honda's are IMO, minus the 450r.. And what i mean by that is because they build them with so much power that people who dont take care of them have problems, some more than others.. The 400's... you can beat the living piss outta them, and they still will keep going. Mine has had it pretty easy so far but i have only owned it for about two weeks or so and it is still in the process of breaking in from the rebuild.

Budweiserebel07
05-11-2011, 03:13 PM
well i dont know your definition of reliable. But, I just bout one for 900 bucks and it looked like someone pushed it off a cliff then took a dump on it. Had a scored piston virtually no rings shaking loose valve cover and exhaust and i rode all day when i got it and never had an issue. Yep I figure those *******s are pretty reliable. haha

Wheelie
05-11-2011, 06:56 PM
I've owned mine since it was new, almost 12 years now and it has been rock solid even in highly modified form. Still on the original starter and solenoid. Has never broke down on me, granted I take really good care of it.

BeefySTi
05-16-2011, 08:46 PM
I have only had my 2001 400 for about 2 months, but i bought it from a guy who said that it had maybe been used 10 hours (if that) in the last 5 years because it was his son's who went off to college and then joined to military and only rode it about an hour or so once a year on holidays when he was home. Had to roll it down a hill and dump the clutch to test ride it. I bought it and a new battery and she started right up. runs like a champ. i would say that is reliability for sure...