PDA

View Full Version : 170 mph fly by!

Titanium
05-10-2011, 08:19 PM
This is from a couple years back(09). My buddy doing a 170 mph fly by in his Dodge Viper on a rough old black top. Sounds pretty sick if i say so myself! Ignore the beer cans rattling in the back of my truck ha ha. Discuss...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUCMNXLCOG4&NR=1

FHKracingZ
05-10-2011, 08:26 PM
Umm asking to die lol?

Titanium
05-10-2011, 08:30 PM
no way! ha ha. just a couple adrenaline junkies havin' a good time! We dont really like doin this kind of stuff on busy highway's cause obviously we would hate to endanger anybody's life so we blocked off this rural black top and had a good hour's worth of fun:p

Canadian144
05-10-2011, 09:26 PM
I'll just start off by saying that video was pretty awful.... black for 90% of it and then headlight and taillights for a the rest of the vid. Though I imagine it's hard to capture a car doing 170mph from a cell phone haha!

But yeah no way in hell would I try 170 in a Viper, on a back country road. One bump and you'd be toast. Not to mention the lack of any traction control.

The only cars I would feel safe enough to do it in would have to be either a Subaru STI or Mitsubishi EVO. Those cars are built for rally, back roads would be nothing. Anything RWD... no way in hell!

CJM
05-10-2011, 09:37 PM
Done 180mph in a worked corvette, yes it was scary-was much better on a track.

Titanium
05-10-2011, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Canadian144
I'll just start off by saying that video was pretty awful.... black for 90% of it and then headlight and taillights for a the rest of the vid. Though I imagine it's hard to capture a car doing 170mph from a cell phone haha!

But yeah no way in hell would I try 170 in a Viper, on a back country road. One bump and you'd be toast. Not to mention the lack of any traction control.

The only cars I would feel safe enough to do it in would have to be either a Subaru STI or Mitsubishi EVO. Those cars are built for rally, back roads would be nothing. Anything RWD... no way in hell!

I agree with you 100% when it comes to your opinion about the video quality! As for the RWD situation...dont knock it till you try it ha ha. My heavy a ss GTO isnt that squirly going down rough black tops doing 150+ mph. As long as you have a some what tuned suspension your good to go in my opinion.

250r rider 88
05-10-2011, 10:05 PM
cars of that caliper are meant to handle extremely well at those speeds, i did 145 in my BMW Z3 convertible, on a back road, with the top down, and it was like driving a Cadillac through town...miss that car....

to each his own, somethings gotta kill us all in the end at least he enjoys what hes doing

Titanium
05-10-2011, 10:06 PM
And before i get flamed for being irresponsible for driving that fast. Yes i know its not the smartest thing to do. That's why its only done when circumstances are right. I'm sure i don't endanger anyone's life when i'm performing these acts.

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
05-10-2011, 10:34 PM
There's a video floating around YouTube of a ZR1 Vette passing a guy on the freeway doing 200+.

muddy400EX
05-10-2011, 11:03 PM

dude these cars are built for this. you praise your subaru's just a bit too much. wrx and evo's are not built to do 170+ from the showroom. thats a sports car, viper is a SUPERCAR,lol

and i really wish that vid was daytime,lol

Canadian144
05-11-2011, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by muddy400EX
dude these cars are built for this. you praise your subaru's just a bit too much. wrx and evo's are not built to do 170+ from the showroom. thats a sports car, viper is a SUPERCAR,lol

and i really wish that vid was daytime,lol

Yes but STIs/Evos are meant to go fast on rough old roads. I'm just saying that at 110+ on a back rough road it will feel much less sketchy in an STI/Evo compared to a Viper/Corvette/etc. No doubt the Viper has a higher top speed but that doesn't mean it's safe to reach it on a rough road.

Vipers aren't built for going fast on back rough roads, they're built for the track/highway where roads are smooth.

brian76708
05-11-2011, 08:14 AM
Yes but STIs/Evos are meant to go fast on rough old roads. I'm just saying that at 110+ on a back rough road it will feel much less sketchy in an STI/Evo compared to a Viper/Corvette/etc. No doubt the Viper has a higher top speed but that doesn't mean it's safe to reach it on a rough road.

Vipers aren't built for going fast on back rough roads, they're built for the track/highway where roads are smooth.

I think its funny that you think that just because you see cars based of sti/evos in rally car races that all of a sudden there made to drive the **** out of on back roads.

MX MaNiAc 06
05-11-2011, 08:32 AM
Kind of off topic but can you post a couple pics of your GTO Titanium? Sounds like a pretty sick car from ur sig

Canadian144
05-11-2011, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by brian76708
I think its funny that you think that just because you see cars based of sti/evos in rally car races that all of a sudden there made to drive the **** out of on back roads.

I didn't say they are "made to drive the *** out of on back roads", I just said that I'd be more comfortable doing 120+ on a back road in an EVO/STI than a Viper or Vette.

I've never done 120mph but I have gone pretty quick on some back roads with the STI and it felt planted the whole time.

Titanium
05-11-2011, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by MX MaNiAc 06
Kind of off topic but can you post a couple pics of your GTO Titanium? Sounds like a pretty sick car from ur sig

yes i sure can. just give me a little bit! been a while since i've had any pics of it. its fairly stock looking. only pushing 390 to the real wheels to be honest! i really need a tune! but i gotta save up them dollars so i can do so!

FHKracingZ
05-11-2011, 08:40 PM
Lol i own at subari sti and its not that great going down a rough road.

400exrider707
05-12-2011, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by muddy400EX
you praise your subaru's just a bit too much. wrx and evo's are not built to do 170+ from the showroom. thats a sports car, viper is a SUPERCAR,lol

That needed to be said. :o

krt400ex
05-14-2011, 07:43 PM
I didn't say they are "made to drive the *** out of on back roads", I just said that I'd be more comfortable doing 120+ on a back road in an EVO/STI than a Viper or Vette.

I've never done 120mph but I have gone pretty quick on some back roads with the STI and it felt planted the whole time.

i prefer rwd over anything. i did have an awd twin turbo stealth, it was a quick car. i had it doing 140 on the highway one night. that car saw 120 on a daily basis, back roads, highways, you name it. it was awd, but it wasnt at all a rally car. most new sports cars have the suspension tuned well enough that it doesnt matter if it is rwd or awd. its about suspension rather than how many tires are putting power to the ground.

Canadian144
05-14-2011, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by krt400ex
i prefer rwd over anything. i did have an awd twin turbo stealth, it was a quick car. i had it doing 140 on the highway one night. that car saw 120 on a daily basis, back roads, highways, you name it. it was awd, but it wasnt at all a rally car. most new sports cars have the suspension tuned well enough that it doesnt matter if it is rwd or awd. its about suspension rather than how many tires are putting power to the ground.

That is true about the suspension. Also electronic stability control if you are on rough roads.

My dad was considering buying a new Viper back in 05 I think? Sometime in the mid 2000s. The second gen Vipers. Anyways he drove it and really didn't like it. He said it was obviously a very powerful car... but it just wan't a nice car to drive. It was very rough and not at all refined. I remember he said that it's like the car didn't WANT you to drive it.

Before you all flame him keep in mind he was in his early 50's at that point haha, he wanted something more comfortable and refined I suppose.

Trx450er94
05-15-2011, 01:37 PM
haha yea i cant image 170 we were doing 150 in my dads dodge truck thats supercharged makin like 650hp and a girl was driving lol pretty scary

TheLane
05-15-2011, 02:09 PM
Psh **** vipers and sti's and evos.

A cobalt would smoke them all, on road, off road, in the sky, like a submarine, who cares.

Hondamaster5505
05-15-2011, 03:12 PM
AWD really doesn't help at 170mph... haha. Maybe off the line, but that's it. When it comes down to it, there's a reason a lot of exotics and supercars are RWD. Only some are AWD.

All cars are different. 80 in my fathers little Dodge Ram 50 feels dangerous. In my firebird, ill be doing 90-100 and not even realize it. Vipers are designed to be driven fast and very capable of handling it.

And honestly, there's a LOT of really smooth "Old country back roads":cool:

Titanium
05-15-2011, 06:09 PM
That is true about the suspension. Also electronic stability control if you are on rough roads.

My dad was considering buying a new Viper back in 05 I think? Sometime in the mid 2000s. The second gen Vipers. Anyways he drove it and really didn't like it. He said it was obviously a very powerful car... but it just wan't a nice car to drive. It was very rough and not at all refined. I remember he said that it's like the car didn't WANT you to drive it.

Before you all flame him keep in mind he was in his early 50's at that point haha, he wanted something more comfortable and refined I suppose.

I kind of agree with your dad. I drove that viper and honestly i was kind of disappointed. I mean dont get me wrong the car was absolutely sick. I really enjoy the looks and handling of the car but the power is a little bit in the "lack of" department. I mean if you think about it, the cars are underpowered for what they are. The first gen vipers only had 400hp. The second gens only had a hair more horsepower than the first gen some where around 410hp. the third gens have 500hp out of 505 c.i. To me that's sad.The brand new fourth gens have around 600 horse. These cars have 2 more cylinders and much more displacement than ZR1 corvette. The ZR1 accomplishes 640hp with 378 c.i. The price's between the two are damn near the same. There's a Brand new ZR1 at a local dealership here for $109,000. And if i remember right the Vipers go for around $110,000? correct me if i'm. Now i know a few of you are going to say its not fair because the Vette is supercharged, but the Viper has an addition 2 cylinders to make up for it. Plus on top of everything else the interior in the Vette is light years ahead of the viper. To me the Viper felt very uncomfortable and cramped and i'm only 5,11. The ergonomics of the seat were not very well thought out. The Vette was much more comfortable than the Viper. Once again i know a lot of your are going to say that neither of these cars are meant for D.D's or long trips and that these cars are made for pure speed. But honestly the Vette is just a lot better thought out car. But if you think about it the Vette has a little more experience than the Viper being that its been around for 60+ years.

Hondamaster5505
05-16-2011, 02:02 PM
Titanium, you are not the only one who feels that way.

From what I have heard from multiple people who have been in both, the Viper's build quality isn't quite as good as the Corvette's is. And overall, the Vette always seems to be better all around as far as comfort, design, and ergonomics.

Vipers are definitely still sweet rides, but I myself would still rather have a vette.

fastredrider44
05-16-2011, 02:07 PM
One thing people consider when they buy a Viper is that its a Viper... Much more rare than a Corvette, not to mention at a glance a ZR1 looks like a base model vette. (at a glance)

Titanium... Pics? I like the GTOs.

MX MaNiAc 06
05-16-2011, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Titanium
yes i sure can. just give me a little bit! been a while since i've had any pics of it. its fairly stock looking. only pushing 390 to the real wheels to be honest! i really need a tune! but i gotta save up them dollars so i can do so!

Im looking into getting one and not sure whether to go for the ls1 or ls2 motor. The ls1 is a little cheaper but if i ended up modding then it would make more sense just to get the ls2 and start out with 400hp.

Post the pics up! All hail the mighty goat!

Canadian144
05-16-2011, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Titanium
I kind of agree with your dad. I drove that viper and honestly i was kind of disappointed. I mean dont get me wrong the car was absolutely sick. I really enjoy the looks and handling of the car but the power is a little bit in the "lack of" department. I mean if you think about it, the cars are underpowered for what they are. The first gen vipers only had 400hp. The second gens only had a hair more horsepower than the first gen some where around 410hp. the third gens have 500hp out of 505 c.i. To me that's sad.The brand new fourth gens have around 600 horse. These cars have 2 more cylinders and much more displacement than ZR1 corvette. The ZR1 accomplishes 640hp with 378 c.i. The price's between the two are damn near the same. There's a Brand new ZR1 at a local dealership here for $109,000. And if i remember right the Vipers go for around $110,000? correct me if i'm. Now i know a few of you are going to say its not fair because the Vette is supercharged, but the Viper has an addition 2 cylinders to make up for it. Plus on top of everything else the interior in the Vette is light years ahead of the viper. To me the Viper felt very uncomfortable and cramped and i'm only 5,11. The ergonomics of the seat were not very well thought out. The Vette was much more comfortable than the Viper. Once again i know a lot of your are going to say that neither of these cars are meant for D.D's or long trips and that these cars are made for pure speed. But honestly the Vette is just a lot better thought out car. But if you think about it the Vette has a little more experience than the Viper being that its been around for 60+ years.

Yeah I hear you there. From a big V10 the horsepower should be at least at the ZR1's level. Hopefully the next update to the Viper will produce a much more comfortable, refined car that is even quicker in a straight line!

Just about everyone who reviews a Vette or anyone I talk to who owns a C6 says their biggest compliant is the interior, how it's so junky and feels like it's pulled out of a Cobalt or something. I guess that says something about how poor the Viper's interior is.

For $110,000, you're almost in 2 year old Porsche 911 Turbo territory. As an overall sportscar, the Turbo is a much more comfortable and refined car. I don't know the numbers off the top of my head but I suspect the Turbo, Viper, and even ZR1 are all pretty close in terms of 0-60 and 50-90, etc. Obviously they are all quite difference cars, but I would think that a 911 would be a much wiser choice if you care about the interior, and overall comfort. Of course you have to deal with Porsche maintenance which would pretty much negate the closeness in price... although I can't imagine that maintenance is cheap for a ZR1 or Viper either.

And I meant to say earlier that my dad test drove a 3rd gen before. I thought the 1st and 2nd gen were the same car and the 3rd gen was actually the 2nd gen. If that makes any sense lol.

I still really like the Viper though, love the way they look, and they sound amazing too.

Long live the snake!