PDA

View Full Version : A few carb jet questions

1993SSP
05-10-2011, 06:14 PM
I have a 88 R, the carb has had the jet changed and it's not running like it should, stock bore, fresh rings, V force reed cage, FMF fatty pipe and Silencer, stock air box. What size jet should be in it at my elavation of 870 feet

Also what ration oil you running in the gas? I have 2 gallons of Amsoil in the garage that need to be used, is 50:1 ok?

265 sleeper
05-10-2011, 08:52 PM
What's jet size are you running carb and size . Need more info . Plug color . is it sputtering or poping .

Grande Huevos
05-10-2011, 08:53 PM
is it running fat at 1/4 throttle or full throttle? there are more then 1 jet in ur carb. theres the pilot, the main and the needle they all can b adjusted for performance at different throttle positions. ill assume its running sluggish on the top so try dropping the main jet down a size, its the one at the bottom of the bowl. play w it til u get it right. could aslo b electrical issues or dirty filter? have u checked these things? did it run ok before? and mix 4 oz oil to every 1 gallon of fuel. spark plug gaped at .18-.20

1993SSP
05-11-2011, 02:22 PM
It's like it is getting too much fuel to me, new bike to me, just now riding it. I mixed up some new fuel, gonna throw in a new plug as well. It's the stock carb, previous owner said he had changed the jet and it may need changed, I think the main is all he changed.

1993SSP
05-11-2011, 07:30 PM
Ok, Update, I changed to amsoil 50:1 mix, new plug gapped at .30, the bike has gotten better throttle response, idles fine.

But when riding and hitting wide open throttle going thru gears it bogs, I can float the throttle and smooth it out, bike is a beast and super fast! I just need rid of the bogging throttle response

Grande Huevos
05-11-2011, 09:34 PM
i would suggest a series of things. First make sure all fluids r clean and new, clean air filter, new plug ngk br7es is what i use gapped at .20 30 is too big. take the coil cap that snaps on the plug its self and if its not new take the cap off and cut the wire back until new wire is exposed then put cap back on. iv seen this cause exact symptems ur having. if its not the prob it cannot hurt! If its still acting up put a smaller main jet in and see if it gets any better ride for a bit and then take ur plug out and look at it, if its dark then u kno u need to drop another size. hope this helps? let us kno what u fig out!

1993SSP
05-11-2011, 09:38 PM
Pulled the plug, it's black. I pulled the main jet and it's a 162.

What ya think?