PDA

View Full Version : Psn

madskrillz2
05-10-2011, 09:29 AM
So who else is fed up at this point? I've defended PSN up until now. I'm ready to go buy an Xbox today and be done with it. I've come to the conclusion they have no idea when the network will be back. The first week it was down they said a few days at the most. Now they're saying online by May 31! I know I sound like a raging nerd right now but I can't be the only one that doesn't think this is ridiculous.

brian76708
05-10-2011, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by madskrillz2
So who else is fed up at this point? I've defended PSN up until now. I'm ready to go buy an Xbox today and be done with it. I've come to the conclusion they have no idea when the network will be back. The first week it was down they said a few days at the most. Now they're saying online by May 31! I know I sound like a raging nerd right now but I can't be the only one that doesn't think this is ridiculous.

buy my xbox ha
http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?p=2611636

I take it those hackers meant business.

250r rider 88
05-10-2011, 10:19 AM
this has delayed my purchase of a PS3, ill stick with my $50 a year to play xbox live with better security and better benefits, hope you didn't lose anything in the hack

bdubwiley
05-10-2011, 10:32 AM
i agree with you 100%. this is very ridiculous for it to be out this long. i understand why the hackers did it and i defend geohot (george hotz) to the fullest, because he has done wonders for us iphone ppl and the guy is a genius when it comes to electronics. but back to the topic, im PO'd that i cant play black ops. i still would never switch to xbox tho because they are just not for me.

madskrillz2
05-10-2011, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by bdubwiley
i agree with you 100%. this is very ridiculous for it to be out this long. i understand why the hackers did it and i defend geohot (george hotz) to the fullest, because he has done wonders for us iphone ppl and the guy is a genius when it comes to electronics. but back to the topic, im PO'd that i cant play black ops. i still would never switch to xbox tho because they are just not for me.

Yeah I agree with you to an extent about geohot. If they could have found a way to keep hackers out of public matches, they wouldn't have had to patch the jailbreak. But it had gotten so ridiculous with people using mods in MW2 public matches that it wasn't even playable. I guess they just wanted to get something done fast and easy. God forbid they have to actually try hard to fix something. Guess this is just karma for them half assing everything.

insaneracin2003
05-10-2011, 10:45 AM
I havnt even turned on my ps3 since wayy before the hack deal....I wonder If it still works...lol...
What exactly happened with the hack???

ROBS08YFZ450
05-10-2011, 12:11 PM
Why would any of you support someone/hackers that broke the law? Just remember that this group of hackers can do this to any company...Sony was just that the top of thier list.

Also if you can't live without the network for a few weeks then you have a real problem.

Tommy Warren
05-10-2011, 12:32 PM
I'm playing xbox right now.....the new map packs in black ops aren't worth losing sleep over;)

Tommy Warren
05-10-2011, 12:32 PM
I'm playing xbox right now.....the new map packs in black ops aren't worth losing sleep over;)

madskrillz2
05-10-2011, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by ROBS08YFZ450
Why would any of you support someone/hackers that broke the law? Just remember that this group of hackers can do this to any company...Sony was just that the top of thier list.

Also if you can't live without the network for a few weeks then you have a real problem.

We're not supporting the hackers, we're supporting geohot. Try reading. Who said I can't live without it? I'm just saying that it's ridiculous they are misinforming everyone by saying at the beginning it was a minor issue. Then a week later we find out our CC numbers may have been compromised. Now 3 weeks in and they still have no solution.

bdubwiley
05-10-2011, 02:07 PM
Yeah I agree with you to an extent about geohot. If they could have found a way to keep hackers out of public matches, they wouldn't have had to patch the jailbreak. But it had gotten so ridiculous with people using mods in MW2 public matches that it wasn't even playable. I guess they just wanted to get something done fast and easy. God forbid they have to actually try hard to fix something. Guess this is just karma for them half assing everything.

i totally agree about the hackers in public rooms because that def does suck, there was nothing worse than getting in a lobby full of guys hacking and you just trying to play normal....but your right tho this is karma biting sony from having such a weak network..
also ROBS08YFZ450 i support geohot and he did nothing to break the law in my opinion, he purchased his own ps3 and opened it up and hacked his own piece of equipment? whats so bad about that? its the same way with the iphone, apple expects you to buy it and use it only as they want you too, and when you jailbreak it to use the phone how you want to use it they get all pissy about it...

ROBS08YFZ450
05-10-2011, 02:23 PM
We're not supporting the hackers, we're supporting geohot. Try reading. Who said I can't live without it? I'm just saying that it's ridiculous they are misinforming everyone by saying at the beginning it was a minor issue. Then a week later we find out our CC numbers may have been compromised. Now 3 weeks in and they still have no solution.

PRLog (Press Release) – May 10, 2011 – Sony Corp. has finally decided to drop its legal suit against the infamous PlayStation3 hacker George Hotz also…

George Francis Hotz, alias geohot, million75 or simply mil, is an American hacker known for unlocking the iPhone, allowing the phone to be used with other wireless carriers ...

Looks like he's a hacker to me!

Your the one that said you were going to buy an xbox...I assumed thats because you can't play on line.

I doesn't matter what Sony has/hasn't told you, the hackers are the ones responsible for this problem.

madskrillz2
05-10-2011, 02:49 PM
PRLog (Press Release) – May 10, 2011 – Sony Corp. has finally decided to drop its legal suit against the infamous PlayStation3 hacker George Hotz also…

George Francis Hotz, alias geohot, million75 or simply mil, is an American hacker known for unlocking the iPhone, allowing the phone to be used with other wireless carriers ...

Looks like he's a hacker to me!

Your the one that said you were going to buy an xbox...I assumed thats because you can't play on line.

I doesn't matter what Sony has/hasn't told you, the hackers are the ones responsible for this problem.

George Hotz is not the one that hacked them. Sony got pissed because he was able to unlock a lot of potential in the PS3 that Sony couldn't control. He didn't do anything himself to compromise the network. It was other hackers that decided to "take up for him" so to speak. The reason I'm considering buying an Xbox is so I don't have to deal with this kind of crap anymore. Lately there's been a lot of bugs with PSN and it gets really annoying. So if the fact that I am annoyed with persistent network problems means I have a problem, then I guess I have a damn serious one.

bdubwiley
05-10-2011, 03:09 PM
if sony had never filed a lawsuit against geohot in the first place we would probably still playing online right now. but then again im sure something of this nature would have happened in the future tho. hopefully once this situation is resolved we wont have to deal with any outages again for a while. i def lost a lot of respect for sony because of the whole situation, but i still wouldnt step over to the darkside (xbox) haha

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
05-10-2011, 04:00 PM
None of the hackers broke any laws. All you people that don't know what's going on should just quit talking because you sound like idiots. Sony got pissed that they unlocked the PS3, which didn't break any laws in the process. It's like you cam modding a YFZ then getting a law suit slapped on you by Yamaha for "tampering". Gtfo.

400ex28
05-10-2011, 05:58 PM
about to get on live now :D

madskrillz2
05-10-2011, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
None of the hackers broke any laws. All you people that don't know what's going on should just quit talking because you sound like idiots. Sony got pissed that they unlocked the PS3, which didn't break any laws in the process. It's like you cam modding a YFZ then getting a law suit slapped on you by Yamaha for "tampering". Gtfo.

THANK YOU

lasher45
05-10-2011, 08:04 PM
GeoHotz did not break any laws in jailbreaking the Itouch or PS3. All he did was open up the system so it could be used with outside software among other things. Theres nothing against the law about doing that. All it does is void the terms of use and you can't send it in to get repaired.

Besides not all hackers are bad. How do you think security systems are created for major companies? They hire the "good" hackers to develop a system and keep out the "bad" hackers.

Theres definitely something going on behind the scenes at Sony. It should not have taken them this long to fix the "intrusion"

Nac's22
05-10-2011, 08:35 PM
I'm still kind of confused on what happened, so what exactly happened?

lasher45
05-10-2011, 09:42 PM
This is what we know so far...

This hacker called GeoHotz jailbroke the PS3, he's also the same guy that jailbroke the Ipod.

Sony got pissed because it opened up the PS3 to hacking and violated the terms of use. The main reason Hotz did this is because the latest firmware update prevented people from installing a 3rd party operating system, such as Linux.

Sony filed a lawsuit against Hotz that pretty much went no where since its not illegal.

Then a group of hackers called Anonymous hacked the PSN and Qrocity servers that Sony owned. This outage only lasted for a day. About 3 weeks ago someone or so group hacked Sony again. Sony blames it on Anonymous, however they have denied all involvement this time.

Initially Sony stated it was a minor problem and that they shut down their servers "voluntarily" to prevent further damage. Then they realized it was a much bigger problem and that all 77million PSN users info and credit card numbers were stolen.

Everycouple days they release a statement saying the situation is worse then expected and it will just be a few more days. However they will most likely not have their networks up again untill probably early next month.

Their are also rumors of another attack that will take place this weekend.

In otherwords, Sonys firewall and security messures were outdated since 2005 and could have been easilly bypassed by someone who knows what their doing. And that's pretty much what happed

madskrillz2
05-10-2011, 09:48 PM
This blog will pretty much tell you all you wanna know.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/

bdubwiley
05-10-2011, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by lasher45
This is what we know so far...

This hacker called GeoHotz jailbroke the PS3, he's also the same guy that jailbroke the Ipod.

Sony got pissed because it opened up the PS3 to hacking and violated the terms of use. The main reason Hotz did this is because the latest firmware update prevented people from installing a 3rd party operating system, such as Linux.

Sony filed a lawsuit against Hotz that pretty much went no where since its not illegal.

Then a group of hackers called Anonymous hacked the PSN and Qrocity servers that Sony owned. This outage only lasted for a day. About 3 weeks ago someone or so group hacked Sony again. Sony blames it on Anonymous, however they have denied all involvement this time.

Initially Sony stated it was a minor problem and that they shut down their servers "voluntarily" to prevent further damage. Then they realized it was a much bigger problem and that all 77million PSN users info and credit card numbers were stolen.

Everycouple days they release a statement saying the situation is worse then expected and it will just be a few more days. However they will most likely not have their networks up again untill probably early next month.

Their are also rumors of another attack that will take place this weekend.

In otherwords, Sonys firewall and security messures were outdated since 2005 and could have been easilly bypassed by someone who knows what their doing. And that's pretty much what happed

x2, thats pretty much what happened, but all anonymous did was do some DDoS (distributed denial of service) attacks on the sony network and while sony was vulnerable some one else entered the network and supposedly got the information of lots of users.

Tommy Warren
05-10-2011, 10:31 PM
This anonymous group now has a video on youtube saying they are going after xbox this time.....for reasons unknown. Don't know what they are trying to prove but its not working

bdubwiley
05-10-2011, 10:45 PM
yeah i dont fully understand anonymous opinions on everything, but it was def great when they stuff down them hypocrites from westboro baptist church live....

j_cyrus3
05-11-2011, 10:08 AM
Then a group of hackers called Anonymous hacked the PSN and Qrocity servers that Sony owned.

lmfao.

leave it to 4chan to take out the psn. i haven't read anything about it, but when i tried to play my ps3 and heard it got hacked i figured that's who done it.

lasher45
05-11-2011, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by j_cyrus3
lmfao.

leave it to 4chan to take out the psn. i haven't read anything about it, but when i tried to play my ps3 and heard it got hacked i figured that's who done it.

4chan had nothing to do with this. Anonymous is a completely different organization.

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
05-11-2011, 12:40 PM
Wrong, Anonymous is a 4chan group.

ProspectorJim
05-11-2011, 01:45 PM
4chan had nothing to do with this. Anonymous is a completely different organization.

the name anonymous comes from when you post on a 4chan board. Your name is "anonymous".

buck440
05-11-2011, 02:17 PM
i don't think there is enough total iq in 4chan to do something like this lol. when they really want to find out who's behind something though they will find them, they are good at that.

dpizz450
05-11-2011, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
This anonymous group now has a video on youtube saying they are going after xbox this time.....for reasons unknown. Don't know what they are trying to prove but its not working

Can I get a link for this video you speak of?

buck440
05-11-2011, 04:00 PM
anybody can put up a video and claim they did or will do something. i can make one and upload it from my phone in like 3 minutes.

dpizz450
05-11-2011, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by buck440
anybody can put up a video and claim they did or will do something. i can make one and upload it from my phone in like 3 minutes.

That's why I wanted to see the video he was talking about. I would be able to tell if it's legit or not.

blaster12s
05-11-2011, 04:52 PM
/b/ prob had nothing to do with this...it was some of the few anon that knew what they were doing that did this and when psn was down someone else went in and raised all hell. /b/ is going downhill just like most other forums.

j_cyrus3
05-11-2011, 05:05 PM
i don't think there is enough total iq in 4chan to do something like this lol.

haha. are you kidding me?

i do agree with blaster12s, the board has been going down hill for a while.

bdubwiley
05-11-2011, 09:17 PM
/b/ def has fallen off a lot

TheLane
05-12-2011, 07:17 PM
Daym! its still down!

Tommy Warren
05-12-2011, 09:27 PM
and I'm still playin black ops online:D

buck440
05-14-2011, 10:00 AM
and I'm still paying to play black ops online:D

fixed that for you:blah:

Tommy Warren
05-14-2011, 10:32 AM
I'm mad because I can't play online and I might cry:blah:

ProspectorJim
05-14-2011, 11:44 AM
fixed that for you:blah:

get what you pay for.

Tommy Warren
05-15-2011, 12:05 PM
I heard you guys are back up...is it true?

Honda4LifeWes36
05-15-2011, 01:01 PM
Ha I'd be online right now but my hard drive of three months took a dump. Great!!

madskrillz2
05-15-2011, 02:36 PM
Yeah it's back up.

Tommy Warren
05-15-2011, 03:16 PM
Yeah it's back up.

Probably why i'm having trouble getting into lobbies....all the psn dudes are playin the new map pack:D

ROBS08YFZ450
05-15-2011, 03:38 PM
Probably why i'm having trouble getting into lobbies....all the psn dudes are playin the new map pack:D

New maps for the PS3 will not be out until 6/7/11

Tommy Warren
05-15-2011, 03:50 PM
New maps for the PS3 will not be out until 6/7/11

ooooo yet another reason to pay for xbox live....I'm bored of them and you haven't got them yet ;)