PDA

View Full Version : water in the tank dirtbike question

flammable
05-10-2011, 09:28 AM
the bikes a yamaha wr400, its on craigslist. this is the add.

"Kids decided to pour water in tank, not knowing this, tried to start not good, will not start. Prior to this everything Good to Great on bike, see pic. Have other bikes, dont feel like fixing. Make an offer, thanks. Current Street Plate and OHRV"

hes only looking for 850 best offer. the question is. is this an easy fix since he tried starting it with water in the tank? what would i have to do to get it running, thank in advance

this is actual pic of bike from the add

rooster300ex
05-10-2011, 09:39 AM
Should be an easy fix. I would clean the tank really good, flush the engine out with diesel. should be good to go then.

flammable
05-10-2011, 09:44 AM
is thre a worst case scenario i should look out for? hydrolock
ed etc.

flammable
05-10-2011, 10:43 AM
also what do u mean by flush the engine with diesel? how?

rooster300ex
05-11-2011, 12:10 PM
Well if its a dry sump motor flush it with some cheap oil, but if its not just fill it up where u fill it with oil and not run it and drain it. Do it a few times and it would be even better. I would ask the guy if u could clean tank,carb and flush it several times. If all was done is water put in the tank and they tried to start it and it wouldn't start then doing what I said it should be fine if it was in working order. Several people have got water in the acutally bottom part of the engine and flushed and it ran just fine. PM me if u need any more help. I can explain alot more that way. I'll help ya out

buck440
05-11-2011, 02:21 PM
water in gas is no problem. water in oil, just drain it fill it up, drain it, then fill it up and ride.