PDA

View Full Version : Head Porting

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
05-09-2011, 11:25 PM
Been thinking of sending my head out to be ported but wanted to know, is it going to be worth the money on a pretty much stock engine wise YFZ? Have a TC Shorty, Cam-Mod and FCI. Will it be worth the money to have it ported and a valve job with +1's?

yfzrider690
05-11-2011, 12:23 AM
Ported yes, valves no. I would get it ported and get some cams, maybe a high compression piston or the carb bored before you do the valves. You need to figure out how much you want to spend and how much you want to build your motor and go from there. Call up any shop, mmad, OI, Kenz, Racers edge, any of them will be able to help you, just tell them what you want to do and what kind of riding you do and they will recommend something for you.

wilkin250r
05-11-2011, 09:25 AM
I say probably not, but it really depends on what you want to do in the future.

As far as I know, the stock YFZ head flows pretty well, as evident by it's high peak RPM. Some of the biggest improvements of the new generation of 450s over the old-school quads like the 400EX is in the head design and improved flow, which is why they rev higher and are able to get much more power. The stock head is pretty decent.

Now if you plan on going with a big-bore kit and cams, then head mods would certainly compliment those modifications very well. But then you would want to port according to those modifications, not according to your setup you have now. So if you decided to go that route, I would wait until you have settled on your particular engine package before getting your head ported.