PDA

View Full Version : help got spark but no fire

dirtycj5
05-09-2011, 10:47 PM
fresh motor from a rebuild
it started and ran for 10 minutes then i turned it off to check the plug. then no start.
what i checked
has compression 196 psi
has spark looks strong
checked the coil 0.4 ohms
checked the alt. exciter coil 128 ohms
checked the pulse gen. 115 ohms
tryed 3 different cdi's
tryed 3 different plugs

it back fires every 7-10 kicks kinda trys to start. kinda seems like spark is momentary. but it ran for 10 minutes ran very good too....

any ideas guys????
thanks!!

leager-n-ky
05-09-2011, 11:17 PM
is it getting gas?

dirtycj5
05-09-2011, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by leager-n-ky
is it getting gas?
yes you can smell the gas also after a few kicks the plug is alittle wet

stever250r
05-10-2011, 12:00 AM
Exactly what I was thinking but didnt want to say it.....

Maybe try taking out the plug and pouring a "SMALL" amount of gas directly in the cylinder and see what happens. Watch for the kickback!

Maybe not the best advice, but I know thats exactly what I would do under the circumstances you have explained...

dirtycj5
05-10-2011, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by stever250r
Exactly what I was thinking but didnt want to say it.....

Maybe try taking out the plug and pouring a "SMALL" amount of gas directly in the cylinder and see what happens. Watch for the kickback!

Maybe not the best advice, but I know thats exactly what I would do under the circumstances you have explained...

i'll try it i also have some starting fluid ill try that also. what about grounds? thats one thing i havent tryed yet maybe its not getting a good ground

hartwill
05-10-2011, 12:19 AM
did you check the flux capacitor? or maybe theres a rats nest in your exhaust. your gettting spark, fuel, and air, theres only one other thing it needs. I dont know how many times I have tried starting my quad with the exhaust plug in it, then ill get fed up and go to roll it back in the garage and go "son of a b1tch". lol

dirtycj5
05-10-2011, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by hartwill
did you check the flux capacitor? or maybe theres a rats nest in your exhaust. your gettting spark, fuel, and air, theres only one other thing it needs. I dont know how many times I have tried starting my quad with the exhaust plug in it, then ill get fed up and go to roll it back in the garage and go "son of a b1tch". lol

lol i wish that was the problem... it started and it was running good i turned it off and it doesent want to start now. ohh yeah i forgot to text you i got the parts lol

Lasher
05-10-2011, 09:41 AM
Replace the plug, spray a little starter fluid in the cylinder and try to kick it over.

Could be junk in the carb. If it runs for a second on the starter fluid you could be getting a little fuel, but not enough to start.

Also, have some one else try and start it. Never fails...I will be kicking like crazy trying everything. Then my son gets on and in two kicks got it running.

265 sleeper
05-10-2011, 10:30 AM
Check air mix screw . I've done this a few times and its worked lean the bike over intill gas pours out then try to start it . Flywheel key could have broke or to big of a pilot jet maybe . Or could be a ground problem

DnB_racing
05-10-2011, 11:01 AM
try bump starting it,right now your plug is fowled

give it a pull with another quad or have one of your buddies push like a monkey and try jumping it, then warm it up and see if you can clear it up

fearlessfred
05-10-2011, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by 265 sleeper
Check air mix screw . I've done this a few times and its worked lean the bike over intill gas pours out then try to start it . Flywheel key could have broke or to big of a pilot jet maybe . Or could be a ground problem
x2 on the flywheel key

Grande Huevos
05-10-2011, 09:09 PM
it sounds like electrical to me!First make sure the kill switch or teather is in! lol but for real check ALL connections and make sure there are no exposed, loose, or damaged wires. make sure the wires on the coil arent hooked up backwards cuz if they r it can still fire but run like $h*t. check the cap that goes on spark plug if u cant see wire then cut it back til wire is exposed then reassemble. iv seen this happen a ton of times, the wire gets corroded or burnt up over time. and last but not least check ur ground and make sure there is a good solid connection to bare metal. use a file if needed.

dirtycj5
05-10-2011, 10:27 PM
Found the problem its the flywheel key thanks for all the help and ideas

dirtycj5
05-11-2011, 08:50 PM
She's running

hartwill
05-11-2011, 08:54 PM
Man too bad you didn't know that earlier I would have thrown that woodruff key in the package..

dirtycj5
05-12-2011, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by hartwill
Man too bad you didn't know that earlier I would have thrown that woodruff key in the package..

Haha Ohh well. Ace hardware .55 each I bought 5 lol