PDA

View Full Version : piston rings!

trx400Rider
05-09-2011, 09:12 PM
Hey yall where can I find a set of Wiseco piston rings for my 416ex?
ITs burning some oil, just gone through the top end replacing valves, timing chaing, guides, and valve guide seals. The cylinder is absolute great condtion, but its burning oil.
So I guess its time for some rings!
I also need gaskets, Im running Cometic now, they seem good, so I'll buy another topend kit of them.
Just in desperate need of rings! its about summer and I neeed to ride!

Thanks to all!

honda400ex2003
05-09-2011, 09:14 PM
denniskirk might have them, parts unlimited has them, wiseco.com has them too.

steve

CJM
05-09-2011, 09:16 PM
cheap cycle parts has them as well.

trx400Rider
05-09-2011, 10:03 PM
Awesome!
Do yall think I should bore it again?
I mean its got plenty of compression there's no visible lines, scratches, marks or anything. Looks like I just got it back from the machine shop.
Also theres no lip at the top of the cylinder.

Im fine with the power Ive got now. just want to add a Cam.
Like some recomendations on one. If anyone has any haha

honda400ex2003
05-09-2011, 10:07 PM
id probably get a hone on it for sure to clean it up if that is the problem causing the oil to be burned. if it has good compression i would be suspect to think that it is something else. the rings would be decided when honed, usually they go the next size over but if it is a very light clean up and checker it could probably use the same size again. Im not real familiar with rings only and how much material a hone takes off.

stage 1 or stage 2 hotcam would be my suggestion for low/mid or mid/top and depending on the compression you are running.

possibly a sparks x1 cam for something inbetween those two depending on how you want your power distribution.

steve

trx400Rider
05-09-2011, 10:12 PM
yeah well I think I should atleast take it back to the machine shop for them to look at it.

Idk what else it could be. what other things could it be? besides rings and valve guide seals?

honda400ex2003
05-09-2011, 10:18 PM
nothing really lol. i was thinking valve lash possibly but that wouldnt make it leak or burn oil.

seals
valve lap
rings

thats about everything that could be getting it in there unless it is blowing some into the carb boot and its sucking it through and burning it. that would be very noticeable though.

what kind of filter do you run? fresh oiled? might have been from that but its a long stretch for anything that is going to be able to be seen smoking.

maybe it is jetted too rich causing blackish smoke?
that would be a likely cause of smoking but if you are sure its oil smoke then that is ruled out also. sometimes it can be mistaken as oil smoke when it isnt actually oil burning.
whats your jetting?

steve

CJM
05-09-2011, 10:19 PM
If your rings are bad its gonna be blowing alot of smoke all the time and you will lose oil rapidly. Now if its valve seals it puffs a bit here or there-specially when started up and cold and you lose oil slowly.

trx400Rider
05-10-2011, 09:21 PM
Im using a dyno jet kit, I think its a size 155 jet.
Its for sure oil burning.
Well its not the valve seals cuz I just replaced them and it still smokes.
Noticeable all the time now.
It has got to be the rings!

honda400ex2003
05-10-2011, 09:23 PM
yupper, time for some ringalings then.

steve

4WheelinDemon
05-11-2011, 10:45 AM
just my opinion, run a 11:1 with a stage 3. It'll be badass lol