PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki mojave time help

spec
05-09-2011, 04:44 PM
Ok, so I have a mojave from a co-worker I am trying to get running for him. Before it would not idle unless the choke was on. I took the carb apart, cleaned everything up put it back together and it was better, but still would not idle decent. I decided to check the valve clearance. Now the internals should be completely stock, but when I went to take my feeler I could not even fit a .004 in there. And from what I read it calls for .008 to .009. So I adjusted the valves for the clearance, then tried to crank the engine over by hand to make sure everything was good. Well the engine will turn past the intake valves opening, but when it gets to the point in the cycle where the exhaust valves should open you can't turn it anymore. It almost seems like the de-comp isn't working right? Has anyone ran into problems like this with a mojave? Or does anyone have some input for me so I can try and get this done for the guy. I'm just confused right now. Everything turned over fine and it started fine before I adjusted the valves, but after adjusting now like I said it wont turn past the exhaust cycle. Also was this info I found correct on clearance does anyone know? Or am I wrong on that and could that be what is screwing me up now. Also any input on why it wont idle would help. I thought it would be a simple clean the carb, put a new plug in and run it some and that would cure it. It seems to be turning into more of a hassle now..:ermm:

fearlessfred
05-09-2011, 07:28 PM
are you trying to turn it over by hand with the spark plug installed. on the idle prob, the slow jet is probably plugged . even if you sprayed carb cleaner and blew it out with compessed air it still may be plugged.remove the jets and make sure you can see daylite thru them.