PDA

View Full Version : Insite??? video of a possible prob.. -->

Thumpin440ex
05-09-2011, 12:29 PM
Ok so some of you all know about the clanking issue I had posted about a while back.. Well it has just been bugging the hell out of me.. I thought the starter could possibly hanging up on the fly wheel, or was just bad.. Well thats not the case.. Is this normal on the 400's.. It seems as if the battery I have might be kicking the starter over to fast, causing this sound.. Any way here is a short clip of what it does while trying to start.. You can hear it do it with just my finger, it is much louder when the starter is cranking it... The bike runs perfect when it starts, but this noise pisses me off..

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/mangler0075/th_001-26.jpg (http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/mangler0075/?action=view&current=001-26.mp4)

John

CJM
05-09-2011, 12:34 PM
What i hear is something inside there is clanking-perhaps the flywheel IDK for sure.

If it were me I'd take it apart and see whats going on in there-thats def not normal.

Thumpin440ex
05-09-2011, 12:36 PM
The gear that I am turning is what is making the noise.. It will turn to the leftfreely, but it chatters like that.. The bike cranks fine, but makes that noise.. You can see me spinning it freely to the left free..

John

CJM
05-09-2011, 12:50 PM
Agreed it does spin free-but something isnt kosher in the case imho-maybe the gear its turning inside has chipped teeth IDK.

Thumpin440ex
05-09-2011, 01:06 PM
Would have any links to a break down of that side of the engine.. The bike is 11-1 comp, along with a gsxr batter. I was thinking that the starter is just spinning the gear to fast, the added compression is causing it to kick back more so then stock would do.. The oil and all is clean, no metal in it.. Hmmmmmmmmm

John

CJM
05-09-2011, 01:34 PM
Have same comp and the busa batt and mine dont make that noise ever.

Thumpin440ex
05-09-2011, 03:57 PM
Just pulled the cover off, no broke parts or teeth missing.. I was thinking that since the cam does not use the compression release function any more it is just kick back from it.. I duno, but im not tearing into any thing more, becuase it runs to damn good to be F^*KD up.. It is 100% with out doubt the gear kicking back on the ratchet mech that is making the noise, nothing internally

John

CJM
05-09-2011, 04:39 PM
Surprising, hell Im with you leave it alone till it breaks if its fine!

tri5ron
05-09-2011, 05:00 PM
Per the factory service manual:

"Check starter clutch outer and sprag clutch for abnormal wear or damage"

Thumpin440ex
05-09-2011, 09:04 PM
Yah, I am going to tear the cover off again and look. Now it would seem as if my starter is done.. It spins over just fine when it is not hooked to the gear, crank, but i think it might be failing while under cranking load.. I turned the engine over by hand, it turns over fine, so the starter my not be cranking the way it should be while loaded up... :sigh:

John

tri5ron
05-09-2011, 11:02 PM
send a PM to pipeless416 and ask him about the problems he was having at one time with his starter.
If I remember correctly, he had a line on a cheap way to rebuild the starter for alot less $$$.
Just a thought