PDA

View Full Version : jets and timing

4WheelinDemon
05-09-2011, 12:02 PM
bought a 450r carb and checked the jets. its a 62 AND 72 pilot(smaller little jets i think is pilot right?) and like a 187 or 182 main. is this good or badd? lol it has the HTC kit in it. all info needed for my bike is in my sig.
also, would i just be able to take the jets out of my regular stock 400 carb and put them into the 04 450r carb?

and i need to know how to correctly set timing on my 400. while back the chain broke and spun crank shaft around a couple two tree times. i have the stage 3 hot cam in the mail now and i need to know how to correctly set it. can someone give me a detailed step by step direction on how to do this?

CJM
05-09-2011, 12:42 PM
Ok every bike will be different for jetting based on setup and elevation. A good starting point is going to be a 180 main, 50 or 52 pilot and 2.5-3 turns out air/fuel screw. But remember everyones will be different so experiment and figure out what you need.

To set timing is VERY simple.

1. Drain the oil completely.
2. Remove the inspection covers (allen head knobs) on the left side case cover.
3. You need to take the rocker cover off (top cover, aka valve cover).
4. Take a 17mm socket and ratchet and turn the fly wheel COUNTER clockwise till you line up the "T" mark with the notch in the inspection cover. It has two marks like this | and an "F" mark, you want the "T".
5. Verify your camshaft is facing lobes down
6. Verify the cam gear has the marks facing OUT, the two lines parallel to the head and the top line iirc facing up 180 degrees from the head.
7. Once all thats done put back together and adjust/check the valves: http://www.atvriders.com/articles/valveadjustment400ex.html