PDA

View Full Version : cannondales?

woodsracer144
05-09-2011, 11:54 AM
so i've been looking to step out side the box now for a while, Im looking to have two quads and i already will have one ( walsh narrow frame 250r)

now for the second one i have alot of 250r parts so i could build another but i've had alot of them so i've been thinking about tryin something else, the cannondale has always drawn me in for some reason, anyone know alot on them i know theres a site like cannondaleriders or something like that but i dont wanna just die hard dale fans answers I'm 250r 400ex yzf400 426 fan cause i've had great luck with them motors

thanks!

CJM
05-09-2011, 12:59 PM
I wont own one b/c the parts are hard to get and they are hard to repair. However they are fast quads.

woodsracer144
05-09-2011, 01:02 PM
if i didnt run a dale what would be another out of the box normal quad? gas gas?

CJM
05-09-2011, 01:46 PM
Gas gas maybe.

If I had the cash I would soo buy the new sport can-ams, they are SWEET. Theyg ot one specifically setup for woods, another for mx and another all around one. I myself try to stick with popular quads made by major manufacturers-otherwise parts, service and such can be hard to find.

woodsracer144
05-09-2011, 01:57 PM
i do all the work by my self (ecpt. shocks) and order most the stuff i get off line or on craigs list.

I was looking at a can am but the whole quad just looks like it sits high....

where is can am based out of canada?

Tommy Warren
05-09-2011, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by woodsracer144
i do all the work by my self (ecpt. shocks) and order most the stuff i get off line or on craigs list.

I was looking at a can am but the whole quad just looks like it sits high....

where is can am based out of canada?

quebec canada yeah...thats where elkas are from too :)

woodsracer144
05-09-2011, 02:26 PM
Im not crazy over elk's :)

Tommy Warren
05-09-2011, 03:01 PM
Im not crazy over elk's :)

I've never seen, heard or had a problem with them......

motox_rider695
05-09-2011, 03:09 PM
i have a canam and they do sit a bit higher, or at least seems like it because your on top of the tank rather than sit behind it. BUT i do have to say, coming off a honda 450r, the can am out handles and trx and is 10x better in every way... Im also selling my can am if your interested, goin back to 2 wheels...

woodsracer144
05-09-2011, 04:04 PM
Well im on time out for spending money but you in ny, im in WI.. so.... yeah haha

C41Xracer
05-09-2011, 04:06 PM
I had a dale in the past, unless the updates are done to the motor I would pass. Unless its cheap, I plan on getting a cdale blaze to start racing xc

jesshamner
05-09-2011, 10:46 PM
Most Cannondale parts are easy to get thanks to 2 vendors. I would say Gas Gas parts are way harder to get. The only bad thing about either one of those quads, is that there isn't a big aftermarket for them. But, the Cannondale OEM is almost all aftermarket anyway. OEM is very reliable. You will want a Cannondale that has had all the updates including a balanced crank with a z400 crank bearing installed. If those are done, it will be as reliable as a 400ex. There is a power commander for the cannondale so tuning isn't a big problem for people that don't get EFI.

I wouldn't say the Cannondale is hard to work on, but it is a little different than other quads. The air filter is outside the airbox and is under the hood. The top end is a reverse head design. The exhaust comes out the back of the head instead of the front. The tranny is a cassette style tranny. The cannondaleriders forum and members are amazing. Help is always out there. There is even a guy in WI that offers training on cdale motor building.

I like the Can-Am option. Its newer, unique, and there is a better aftermarket. They are way more expensive though. You could get a Cannondale for around 3500 that has all the updates and goodies. For about 4000, you could get a completely decked out moto with the walsh 250r kit.

hontrx265r
05-10-2011, 08:40 PM
I've also had one.. I'm kind of 50/50 on it. They "Can" be a very good, fast, reliable bike. Now any other 450 can also let go. but I always felt like if I only had my dale, there could be a good chance I might not ride that weekend. My main complaint is the seat/tank/sitting relationship. Even with the walsh 250r kit it never felt like a 250r. But it was fun. Mine was built nice, walsh r kit, updates, lt, elkas, hipers etc.. I let it go for 3500.00 so the nice thing is they are cheap.

jesshamner
05-10-2011, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by hontrx265r
I've also had one.. I'm kind of 50/50 on it. They "Can" be a very good, fast, reliable bike. Now any other 450 can also let go. but I always felt like if I only had my dale, there could be a good chance I might not ride that weekend. My main complaint is the seat/tank/sitting relationship. Even with the walsh 250r kit it never felt like a 250r. But it was fun. Mine was built nice, walsh r kit, updates, lt, elkas, hipers etc.. I let it go for 3500.00 so the nice thing is they are cheap.

Great point! I used to worry about mine during rides but since I got the upgraded crank I never worry about anything other than wear items. I definitely know what you mean about the seat/tank area. That had been my biggest complaint lately. I fixed it with fullbore fenders but the race cut fender is just not for me. I switched back to stock plastic last night. I would rather deal with sore knees than have a miserable 5 hour ride at hatfield mccoy. <- true story

woodsracer144
05-10-2011, 09:03 PM
from my understanding the tank is under the seat? so does it go all the way to the top like on a 250r 400ex 450r yfz ect.? or is it like the tri Z?

01boneless
05-11-2011, 07:55 AM
ktm 450sx :devil:

jesshamner
05-11-2011, 09:21 AM
from my understanding the tank is under the seat? so does it go all the way to the top like on a 250r 400ex 450r yfz ect.? or is it like the tri Z?

The tank is located mostly under the seat and just in front of it. I can take a picture and post it tonight if you want to see. It holds 3.2 gallons I think. With the 250r kit, the custom aluminum tank only holds a little over a gallon of gas. This is due to the custom subframe that is lowered so much that there is no room for more of a gas tank. Its not really needed in MX racing though.

woodsracer144
05-12-2011, 10:12 AM
where is the air box?

beastlywarrior
05-12-2011, 11:39 AM
want an out of the box quad thats got cheap parts, be like me and build a 446 warrior. i love the stares and the wtf is that questions

fastrnrik
05-12-2011, 11:45 AM
Here's a bad a.ss Cannondale Moto for sale for a good price. It's a nice bike with all the updates. If it was closer to me I'd be tempted....
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=464218

My friend & his team won the Sportsman class at the Baja 1000 in '02 (I think '02...) on a Cannondale. The guy they rode for had a Cannondale entry in the pro class as well but it didn't finish.

woodsracer144
05-12-2011, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by beastlywarrior
want an out of the box quad thats got cheap parts, be like me and build a 446 warrior. i love the stares and the wtf is that questions

those things are TANKS! i had one, the motor is HUGE!

jesshamner
05-12-2011, 02:57 PM
where is the air box?

I forgot to take the picture. The airbox is just in front of the gas tank. It splits and wraps around the stem. The weirdest part about the airbox is that the filter isn't inside it. It attached to the front of the airbox and is located under the hood. It is the only quad that really makes use of a hood scoop.

beastlywarrior
05-12-2011, 03:37 PM
those things are TANKS! i had one, the motor is HUGE!
they dont feel like tanks after you get a arms, shocks and a wider axle. they actually handle really good