PDA

View Full Version : Looking ahead a year or so, need fathers input on Limited Prod. ride!

Doug10
05-08-2011, 08:16 PM
Well after learning what I should have known before the first atv purchase i have came to the realization that if we decide to enter any races next year, im sure someone is going to complain because thats the nature of some. My son will be of legal age next season to enter a district event or two, and this Limited Production thing is lurking in the future. I'm just sour that we cannot run our 800.00 Polaris Scrambler with +2" A-Arms and a +1 swing arm against a 7k cobra or equiv. "Stock" machine.

Whats everyones suggestions on looking to set him up in the near future? Heck i dont even own the stock exhaust from our bike anymore. I hate to put the stock arms back on and stock wheel offsets putting the thing back down to 22" wide LOL.

Doug

EthansDad
05-09-2011, 09:08 AM
Hey Doug,

What series are you talking about? I think step 1 is to figure out what series you plan on running, or would like to run one day, and then go backwards from there to find the bike that is right, and legal for you and the series.

It's also a good starting place to look at the national results for what class you plan on running and see what brand bikes are winning - that is a clue as well what to buy. google escoremx and look for the atva classes and results.

If you plan on hitting some ATVA nationals with a younger rider, then the class to hit is the 50 jr limited class. the rules are quite strict on what can and can't be modified. that said, you could run a stock polaris, eton, etc in that class, but it would not stand a chance. adding on more a-arms, spaces, swingers, etc would make the eton no longer stock, and not eligible for the class.

I was in the same place a number of years ago ready to mod up an eton. I instead bought a DRR and with no other mods was able to put my kid on the track at the nationals and locals. A DRR is much less than a cobra, check your dealer of choice for costing, or find a used one.

Another option at the nationals is to run the 50 CVT (or mod) class. could use your eton there with anything you want to put on it. the age range is 6-8, where the limited is 4-6.

Doug10
05-09-2011, 01:49 PM
The district here in NE North Carolina and the nationals are the same in regards to JR ATV classes. With Austin being 4 on JAN 1 of next racing season we will have to run the Limited Stock or Limited Production whatever it is called. Looks like DRR it will be then. Which model of the DRR's is the heat for that? I see there are a few 50's to choose from.

Doug

EthansDad
05-09-2011, 03:52 PM
Hey Doug,

all the DRR 50s are the same. DRX, DRX2, brandx,y,z...all the same. the difference is dealer mods/prep. Even though a dealer can "prep" and brand, they can not add on things that break the "rules" or give their brand something the others can't run.

To be truly competitive in this class, the part of the rules that state 'internal motor mods allowed' is the phrase that pays and will separate the bikes when the gate drops. not a whole lot that can be done, but cylinder porting, jetting, and proper clutching make all the difference.

My $.02 from a guy that raced a 4 yr old at the nationals on a DRR 50---save your money on fancy stuff until he/she gets older. the bikes are so close in performance that unless your kid is using 99% of the bikes potential, the extra 1% really won't make much of a difference at that age. if you have money to spare, get a stock 50 and put the funds into suspension and softbars. both of those add to a more stable/safe ride and reduce lap times much more than a faster motor will.

If you want to read more on the rules they live here with the important parts of it below:
http://www.atvmotocross.com/pages/amateur-racers/2011-supplemental-rules-

7. 50cc Limited: Production models. The following may be changed: shocks (limited to maximum 4" shock travel), tires, wheels (must not change stock width) internal portions of the motor, spark arrestor may be removed (must still meet 96db), sprockets, gearing, clutch, twist throttle, handlebars and handlebar pads, grips, front bumper, rear grab bar, air filter and jetting. Air box lid may be removed or modified. Fenders may be trimmed. Manufacturer installed parental speed limiting devices may be removed. Nerf bars or suitable floorboards and working tether cords are required. No other modifications allowed, INCLUDING, carburetors, oil injection, air box, gas tank, exhaust systems, wheel base, width, rear axle, A-arm, steering dampener, and suspension (with the exception of shocks).

chunky0071
05-09-2011, 04:25 PM
Don't forget to look at the apex 50 as well.
Just saying buy which ever you fill is right for your son!

JAG Motosports
05-09-2011, 08:19 PM
I want mr ahlm's avatar:p

EthansDad
05-10-2011, 07:38 AM
Did you try to flick it or squish it Ken? I think the bug in my computer is developing an attitude.....

Hey, while we are totally off topic, Chunky, where do you guys ride in GA? we are not too far from Jasper. Ever practice talking rock mx? we ought to go ride sometime, not too many mini quad riders our way.

coffing918
05-10-2011, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by JAG Motosports
I want mr ahlm's avatar:p
So do i. I did try to flick it