PDA

View Full Version : Carb

440ex. ehhh!!
05-08-2011, 07:28 PM
So i figured i would post this here since theres other trike owners in here.
It probably isn't a model specific problem, but my dads got an 84 250r trike.
When the gas valve is turned on, it flows out all over the ground. weather the bike is shut off, or at idle. But it only does this when idling or when the bike is off. It perfectly fine and does not leak when hes moving.
He got a carb kit and rebuilt it. didn't help at all. He's thinking its the float.
Could that be the problem?? He was going to take the float out and see if it sunk in a bowl of gas, but he didn't get to it td.
Its been doing this for months now and he's getting sick of dumping gas all over whenever he forgets to turn off the tank valve.
any help would be great.
Thanks
Josh

wilkin250r
05-08-2011, 07:49 PM
It is SOMEHOW associated with the floats, it has to be. Whether it's the actual floats themselves that don't float, or some other problem, remains a mystery. But there is only one path for gas to get into the carb, and that's through the float valve. And only one way the gas shuts off to stop the flow, and that's the float valve.

In my experience, the most common problem isn't the floats or even the valve itself, it's some type of garbage at the float valve seat, it gets in the way and prevents the valve from seating correctly and sealing off the flow. And pulling the floats off and cleaning them doesn't solve the issue, you need to spray that passage with carb cleaner REALLY well, both directions, to rinse that garbage out.

And the next question is, how did that garbage get in there? It didn't just fly in there from the wheels, it had to come through the gas tank, which most often means there is MORE garbage in the tank. So you're going to keep having the problem until you put an inline fuel filter in place to keep the garbage out.

Take the carb apart again, and REALLY clean that fuel passage out, spraying both directions. Replace the little float valve with a new one (because the rubber seal can get damaged), it's only a few bucks, and add an inline fuel filter between the petcock and carb.

265 sleeper
05-08-2011, 11:19 PM
Your floats might need adjustment if carb is all clean . Doesn't take must adjustment to fix the problem

440ex. ehhh!!
05-09-2011, 07:03 AM
thanks for the posts.
ill let you know how it goes.