View Full Version : 1/4 turn twist throttle?

300ex_#387
05-08-2011, 06:55 PM
Do they make these for a honda? I would like to run one but I can't find any 1/4 turn throttles.

D Bergstrom
05-08-2011, 07:28 PM
Motion Pro vortex is a 1/4 turn throttle, ran one for years with my stock carb until I changed to a FCR. Can buy it as a kit for the 450R, includes the throttle and cable for the stock carb. Was a good product, never had any problems.

Doug

Lquad71
05-08-2011, 08:14 PM
the vortex is 1/8 turn.
The normal twist is 1/4

1/4 is the longer twist and i would highly recomend the vortex if you have the throttle control

D Bergstrom
05-08-2011, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Lquad71
the vortex is 1/8 turn.
The normal twist is 1/4

1/4 is the longer twist and i would highly recomend the vortex if you have the throttle control

The vortex is a 1/4 turn, I owned one on each of my 450R's, I know they are 1/4 turn, checked them myself. I have never heard of a 1/8 turn twist throttle, only 1/4 turn and 1/2 turn. The 1/4 turn is the way to go. 1/2 turn is to difficult to go from closed throttle to wide open without regripping the throttle.

Doug

Lquad71
05-09-2011, 02:58 PM
put a dot on the top of the throttle. turn it all the way and it will be 1/4 of a full rotation on a normal cr throttle. there is no way you could even use a 1/2.

D Bergstrom
05-09-2011, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Lquad71
put a dot on the top of the throttle. turn it all the way and it will be 1/4 of a full rotation on a normal cr throttle. there is no way you could even use a 1/2.

Straight from Motion Pro:

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/articles/view/301/throttles_and_throttle_kits/

As I said before, I have checked my Vortex throttle, it is a 1/4 turn, or I guess per Motion Pro, 95 degrees. Of course, you can only get that amount of twist if your carb will allow it. My 700XX uses a CR Pro, which per Motion Pro, is almost 1/2 turn. It only ends up being a 1/4 turn twist though, as the throttle body has a stop that only allows it to twist so far. Disconnect the cable from the throttle body though, and it will turn almost 1/2 a turn.

Doug

300ex_#387
05-09-2011, 04:51 PM
Right now I have the Motion Pro CR Pro. I've been running it for a few years. Will I notice a difference going to the vortex? I'm really wanting less twist to be wide open. It will help reduce arm pump in my right hand. I've ran them on bikes before but since most bikes are a push pull cable I couldn't find a tube for a quad cable.

Lquad71
05-09-2011, 04:59 PM
i apologize i was just going off of my quad's twist. which is approximately 1/8. After going through that link you showed me obviously the quad is usually what limits the pull, not the throttle. so basically the throttle just changes the speed i guess??? so the fastest would be the vortex.

Lquad71
05-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by 300ex_#387
Right now I have the Motion Pro CR Pro. I've been running it for a few years. Will I notice a difference going to the vortex? I'm really wanting less twist to be wide open. It will help reduce arm pump in my right hand. I've ran them on bikes before but since most bikes are a push pull cable I couldn't find a tube for a quad cable.

yes it is a huge difference from the cr throttle

D Bergstrom
05-10-2011, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by 300ex_#387

I would double check to see the amount of twist your throttle currently has. Based on myself and Lquad71's experience, could be different depending on what carb you have. If your CR pro really is 1/2 twist as it sits on your quad, then yes, going to a vortex is a benefit. However, if you carb only allows the CR pro to be a 1/4 twist, then I don't think you will see any benefit.

Doug

DnB_racing
05-10-2011, 01:56 PM
300ex have you driven a quad with a twist throttle??you might not like it, I came from dirt bikes with nothing but twist and thought it would be the same feeling, but its not,

the front of the quads are heaver and require more muscling it, and the twist just felt wrong...

but I only gave it about 3 hours to get used to, maybe after some time I would have liked it, but after almost pulling the quad over backwards, i said forget it!!lol

I used a vortex and I would say it was closer to 1/3 turn for full throttle,

Lquad71
05-10-2011, 03:10 PM
the reason that the vortex would provide benefit is because it pulls it open faster. If yours is a 1/4 right now, putting on a vortex would make it pull open faster which would make it less than 1/4. So the carb does limit where the throttle will stop, but each throttle pulls it open at different rates.

deathman53
05-15-2011, 06:09 PM
I had a 05 vortex trx450r twist on my 03 crf450r carb, it was way too much to control. I changed it for a stock throttle of a 03 crf450r, way easier to cotrol. Don't use a very short throw twist, it will hurt you.