PDA

View Full Version : Variator / clutch nut torque ideas !

ToddL
05-08-2011, 06:18 PM
Always looking for ideas so got another one. Anybody got a better way to torque the variator and clutch nuts than just hoping your impact has it tight enough ?
Just lost a moto because variator nut came loose. Was torqued with my cordless as much as possible and washer was on right. Any ideas - this is the second time it happened to me in last year. Gotta be a better way. Thanks for any and all ideas that might help me or anyone else out there that might benefit!
Todd

selbygirl
05-08-2011, 06:54 PM
I USE A 18 VOLT MAKITA IMPACT GUN IT SES 12OO LBS OF TORQ I TIGHTIN IT UP UNTIL IT MAKES ONE INPACT SOUND THEN STOP NEVER HAD ONE COME LOOSE YET I HAD NUTS STRIP BEFORE BACK WHEN I OVER TIGHTEN THEM THATS WHY I GO ONE IMPACT ON GUN AND STOP MOST OF THE NUTS ARE SOFT THREAD SO YOU DONT STRIP YOUR CRANK THREADS WHEN YOU TIGHTEN UP YOUR NUT DOES THE VARIATOR FEEL LOSE MAYBE YOU NEED ANOTHER WASHER IF THE NUT IS BOTTOMING OUT ON THE CRANK AND IF THE BELT IS REAL TIGHT ON THE VARIRATOR WHEN YOU PUT IT TOGETHER IT WONT TIGHTEN UP ALL THE WAY AND WHEN THE BELT RISES TO THE TOP IT WILL COME LOSE SO WHEN YOU PUT IT TOGETHR PUT THE BELT ON LOSE ON THE VARIATOR

Coley'sdad#8
05-09-2011, 06:14 AM
peen the nut or put loctite on it.

ToddL
05-09-2011, 08:56 AM
never thought about making sure the belt is not at the bottom of the variator, thus keeping it from going on all the way.
thanks Tommy..........and yes, loctite entered my mind but wondered about all the cleaning to get stuff off each time.
Once my clutching is set I might just do that :)
I use a craftsman 18volt cordless, can't remember what the max torque setting is on it - have to look.
Any other ideas keep them coming - that's why this forum is the best for all of us dads pulling our hair out every weekend.
Always something on these no matter how smart you are@!!!!

Coley'sdad#8
05-09-2011, 09:55 AM
and yes, loctite entered my mind but wondered about all the cleaning to get stuff off each time.

small wire wheel on your cordless drill takes it right off:D

Logan #34's Dad
05-09-2011, 10:52 AM
I even use the red locktight. On both of them.

ToddL
05-09-2011, 11:51 AM
gees, I was only going to use the blue!!!
You always go for the max Rocky!!!
Hope to see you and Logan at Steel City in a couple weeks.

I'm really leaning towards the loctite idea just to be safe from now on. hated losing that first moto the other night cause it cost us the overall. Little man rode his tail off the second moto trying to make up for it (won that one :)). Like I said, it's always something the last 5 years.

selbygirl
05-09-2011, 12:40 PM
we dont use lock tight to be honest we dont use lock tight at all after every moto i clean the variator for some reason on the over range ones they seem to stick so i just clean it with a paper towl the brass part and the the bushing that the variator rides on or clean it till it rides freely in hand and the belts seem to last longer