PDA

View Full Version : Upper CV boot rip help

BlackRaptor101
05-08-2011, 07:44 AM
Well this is frustrating.
First real all day ride on it and the CV boot rips it's the upper one thats inside the sprocket.
funny thing is i was riding at a gravel pit so nothing sharp poked it so the only thing i can think of is it was dried out and cracked. now it's spraying grease all over the place.
The question I have is.

Those upper CV boots are they packed with grease for just the CV joint or is that whole upper bearing fed off that grease.

Also has anyone replaced the upper CV boot are they very hard to pull off. I can't really tell how it's connected up in there.

The upper CV boots are spendy sure hope this doesn't happen often.

Thanks for the info.

TheLane
05-08-2011, 09:04 AM
im honestly not sure on this one.

But if your not on there already, for outlaw specific info i have found the guys on this website to be awesome, and really speedy with replies.

Polarispros.com

sleddog66
05-08-2011, 10:27 AM
It does NOT lube the center carrier bearing. It is only for that specific side cv inner joint. I did a full write up on polarisriders.com in the HOW TO section with pictures. It is not really that hard. I have found that certain chain lubes can lead to the degration of the stock boots, which are not very good IMO. Also as stated above, polaris pros are many of the same folks that went on their own from polaris riders.com.....they may have carried over my HOW TO post, not sure.

BlackRaptor101
05-08-2011, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the info I'll look for your write up. Does it also say which chain lubes are ok to use?
I was using Primary Drive Synthetic chain lube same stuff I use on my dirt bike.
Thanks again. glad to hear it's not too hard to replace. hopefully the next one will last longer than one ride.

sleddog66
05-08-2011, 12:04 PM
Honestly, I have not figured out which chain lubes destroy them the most. Mostly that is other peoples observations. I use honda lube, but try to make sure that it is not flinging off and sticking to the boot. The honda lube seems to stay put, as do others I am sure

sleddog66
05-08-2011, 12:07 PM
I did look on polaris pros, and Jeff has a HOW TO write up on changing out the carrier center bearing, so that could get you going in the right direction, but my write up at polarisriders will be a step by step!

BlackRaptor101
05-09-2011, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the help.
So you would go with the EPI CV Kit over the OEM Polaris Kit?
Is the fit just as good on the EPI as OEM? someone told me that some of the aftermarket ones don't fit as well as the OEM's.

birdman7389
05-09-2011, 06:44 PM
I had good luck with the EPI...

sleddog66
05-10-2011, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by BlackRaptor101
Thanks for the help.
So you would go with the EPI CV Kit over the OEM Polaris Kit?
Is the fit just as good on the EPI as OEM? someone told me that some of the aftermarket ones don't fit as well as the OEM's.

Actually the fit of the EPI was nice, but the EPI kit did not contain the steel insert, inside the rubber large end. because of that, it did not seal up very well, and would throw grease. I have changed back to OEM for that 1 reason. It has been a couple of years now, and do not know if EPI ever cured their problem. It would be worth a phone call to see if they added the steel insert into the large rubber end? Otherwise I would stick with OEM. Sorry, I forgot about that, I wrote that HOW TO a long time ago.

BlackRaptor101
05-10-2011, 07:32 AM
I just got off the phone with EPI they do now have a metal ring on the large side of the boot. So just an FYI to anyone looking to buy that boot they fixed it to match the OEM one.

wannaride4
05-10-2011, 12:36 PM
What could have happened to your boot is if you got that side down in the gravel, such as got stuck or riding a sharp ridgeline.

I was riding in the dunes and I thought it was a good time riding the ridgelines of the steep dunes. I got stuck while riding the ridgeline which burried the left wheel and CV shaft and the next morning I noticed I had a ripped left CV boot also. I blamed it on the sand tearing the boot. It hasnt happend in a couple years since I stopped riding the ridgelines.. And hasnt happened to any of my friends, which didnt ride like I was...