PDA

View Full Version : not getting spark

farmer250r
05-07-2011, 12:13 PM
my 87 trx250r started runing funny,i cleaned my carb,still nothing.did a compression check,it was good.checked for spark and it wasnt getting spark.so i pulled my plug out and the plug cap fell off the coil? is there anyway i can re-atach it or do i need a new one?
also i had pulled my teather kill switch off,i disconnected the wires.so i tought it was that at first so i re-connected it and still nothing.it was running fine about a month ago and i just got new tires so this is kinda pissin me off.if anyone has any info that could help.
quad was running good then started to cut out about half throttle.and was only running with the choke on.when it was running like crap i brought it in the shop and messed with the carb and it would start up and run good but if i was in first or second just putting around it would lag if i got on it agian.im not sure whats going on but any info to getting my baby back to health would be great.ill post some picture os it tonight if i can and the coil where the wire has came out of the plug cap.

jcs003
05-07-2011, 02:48 PM
sounds like you need a coil. screw the plug cap back into the coil wire and try it again. also, get out your multimeter and test all electrical components.

farmer250r
05-08-2011, 07:47 AM
my dad has a mutimeter so im gonna give that a try.and just order a new coil tonight

spintly
05-12-2011, 11:24 PM
If the new coil doesn't work, then it might be time for a CDI box. The 250R manual has all the readings for all the electrical components. I trouble shot every component, except for the CDI. The manual says you can't check these. I rebuilt my entire quad over a winter and I had spark when I tore it apart and no spark after I put it back together-strange. It was the CDI box.