PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket shocks question

ridehonda400ex
05-07-2011, 06:02 AM
I decided that im gonna get myself some shocks. Im still saving but im thinking that I will be getting the fox floats. Tell me what you guys think of them. How adjustable are they? Do they require more maintenence than oil shocks? Im about 210 lbs

tri5ron
05-07-2011, 09:07 AM
Honest answer is...
, unless you plan on going "Pro" and racing MX, you'd be wasting your money.

Let's face it, riding a '04 400ex is not going to be a front running MX machine, no matter how much we do to them.

The reality is,... when set up properly,... they DO make for a Very Badass XC/GNCC or Trail machine. (Hence, why I chose a 400ex over all others).

Spending too much money on overpriced shocks only makes other more beneficial mods farther out of reach.

You and your quad can get alot more "Bang for your Buck" and end up with alot better running, better handeling quad, for the same or less money than the Fox shocks alone.

My sugesstion would be to find a set of clean used 450r, or YFZ shocks, and get a new set of Works Performance springs set for your riding weight.

Then with the money you saved, you can get a nice Slip-on, Uni, 450r carb, Sparks timing key, and a Steering Stabilizer.

Remember,... the value lies in what are you really getting for your money spent.
i.e.- "Bank for your Buck".

If you wanted to take it a bit further, go with a cam, and CRF timing chain.

Your bike will run very strong, and still maintain all of it's time proven, near bullet proof, reliability.

Just my .02 cents

ridehonda400ex
05-07-2011, 10:05 AM
Well i really have thought about the 450 shocks but i seen that you have to grind at the frame, which I really dont want to do that.

Nathan91
05-07-2011, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by ridehonda400ex
Well i really have thought about the 450 shocks but i seen that you have to grind at the frame, which I really dont want to do that.
I just put a set (450r shocks) on my 04 yesterday and you barely have to do any grinding. Plus you grind the eye of the shock not the frame of the bike. And the grinding is very minimal, took me like 30mins to get both of them installed. Took about 1/2in or less off the top of the shock. Paid 130shipped for a set of 09 take-offs, and they are SO worth it. Ride is a lot better.

tri5ron
05-07-2011, 10:32 AM
The grind is on the gussett not the frame.
It is LITERALLY half the size of a pencil eraser.
It is SO MINOR, that you can not even see it when done with some patience and care.
It does not detract from any of the frames structural integrity.

Sure there are some goofballs that have gotten stupid, with grinding their frames into a total butcher job.
But consider this,..
Are those the types of guys you really want to be taking any advise from ANYWAYS ???

any idiot can screw their equipment up.

proper tools, techniques, and care, will result in a clean and properly done job.

Impatient Hack Jobs are for the losers.

Some guys will contend that they had to grind a minimal amount on the top of the shock eye also.
I found this to be completely unnecessary on mine.

Do your research, and look at the many threads discussing the install.
It is one of the easiest mods you can do. Many pics of how to PROPERLY do it are readily available.

or,...

waste your money.

HondaRacing83
05-07-2011, 11:11 AM
get a set of used shocks on here or ebay. elka's works' peps' etc.

dave07ex
05-07-2011, 12:12 PM
I have a set of '05 yfz shocks and i love them. Fully adjustable and MUCH softer than stock. I did not have to grind the frame and/or gussets at all to mount these shocks. I only had to shave down the top mounts to fit. A great investment for $125.

trxPOWER
05-07-2011, 12:23 PM
Plus im not sure if they make 400ex specific floats? If they dont, youll have to run the 450 and do grinding anyway. Just something to think about.

Honda4LifeWes36
05-07-2011, 01:39 PM
I think you are correct. Floats are made for the 450 and 700s. You would probably still have to do some trimming to get those to work..

IMO I would much rather trim down regular 450r shocks then have a possibility of messing up $1000+ floats.

http://www.foxracingshox.com/atv/race

250x_kyle
05-07-2011, 01:52 PM
i know they dont make fox float evols for the 400ex or trx250r (picked up a set of custom built ones for my hybrid) and i do not know about their regular floats.

honestly unless your going to be racing all out just buy a set of used axis, pep, tcs, ect. i beleive the only adjustment on the regular floats is just the psi in the mian chamber of the shock body and a rebound adjustment. this would mean that if you were going to actually take the time to adjust your shocks you would probably be able to buy a good set of coil overs for the same price. if you do look at used shocks make sure that they are not leaking oil around the seals and ask if they know what weight and aarms they are valved for. if the person does not know the answer th those question whos to say they are not in a need for a major rebuild.

lastly what riding are you doing woods and trails, racing ect? also what aarms are you running stock, after market, if after market what length

CJM
05-07-2011, 11:29 PM
2 things to mount 450r honda shocks:
1. Get a good screwdriver or a cold chisel and smack off the welded on nut above the shock mount. Then replace with a small carriage bolt.

2. YOu grind the frame as tri5ron stated, its sooo tiny it wont matter.

I love mine, but they do ride a bit stiff.

Muzzgit
05-10-2011, 06:35 AM
Having been down this path 2 years ago I can honestly tell you the 400EX is in need of +2 A-Arms more than it needs expensive shocks. I went for 450R shocks and +2+1 A-Arms and was well impressed.

The standard 400EX shocks will work very well with good quality A-Arms too, if you want to do it step by step.

As with a lot of things you don't know till you try it. Well I tried it and now I know!

If you honestly want to spend good money on a 400EX my list would start with A-Arms, steering damper, slip-on exhaust, 450R shocks, GNCC linkage for swing arm.

250x_kyle
05-10-2011, 07:40 PM
techncally to do it right the aarms and shocks should be replaced at the same time. that way the shocks are either built or can be rebuilt for the extended lengths of the aarms.

Muzzgit
05-11-2011, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by 250x_kyle
techncally to do it right the aarms and shocks should be replaced at the same time. that way the shocks are either built or can be rebuilt for the extended lengths of the aarms.

That would be true with a long travel set up, they need to be matched, but for standard travel A-Arms you won't have any drama's.

ridehonda400ex
05-12-2011, 08:55 PM
will z/kfx/dvx 400 stock shocks work on a 400ex? The ones with rezzies of course

250x_kyle
05-12-2011, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Muzzgit
That would be true with a long travel set up, they need to be matched, but for standard travel A-Arms you won't have any drama's.

well too and extent you can get away with not changing the shocks on standard travel. but i was informed by a few shock builder and houser its recommended your stockers be rebuilt with plus two standard travle aarms. shock locations may be the same but with out them being revalved those extra few inches change the amount of force/ leverage on the shocks

Muzzgit
05-13-2011, 08:28 AM
Yes I understand what you are saying, but you will find the stock 400EX shocks actually do quite well. If you are racing or doing big jumps, maybe not, but in normal trail riding the extra leverage takes some of the harshness out and it is quite a plush ride

And not just the 400EX. I used the stock non-resi shocks on my Raptor with Snyder +2 A-Arms for several months while my HLS shocks were still coming and I was very surprised how well they worked.

Obviously I wasn't racing or doing big jumps, just trails and dunes, which is what the quad is made for.

Leave the big jumps for the 450's

ridehonda400ex
05-16-2011, 10:49 AM
will z/kfx/dvx 400 stock shocks work on a 400ex? The ones with rezzies of course