PDA

View Full Version : Installing axle nut question

yernkie
05-06-2011, 10:28 PM
I'm replacing the bearings in my carrier (RAD twin row) and I need input on tightening the axle nuts. I don't have the wrenches and will be using two pipe wrenches. How tight should I get them? What is the proper technique? Should there be any side to side free play in threaded collar that the nuts go on? Any help is appreciated. I have done this once before but want to make sure I am doing it right.

05-07-2011, 01:29 PM
on a twin row just snug it down sufficiently some people may argue but i'm never one for wrenching on my bearings although there is a collar in there to allow for some decent torque.i have a rad twin row and use pipe wrenches on mine just use good judgement and like i said as long as they're good and snug you will be fine.ride a little and check.wrap duct tape on in thedirection the wheels spin to help keep the locknut tight. i had a tapered and thats a different story you want that crush washer to have 1/16 or so play but the twin row can be tighter just don't gorilla grip it. good luck

yernkie
05-07-2011, 01:35 PM
Should the axle "drag" any?

05-08-2011, 01:08 PM
not from the tension of the locknut.there will always be some drag in a system of that design especially when you factor in all the other moving parts...i.e. chain and sprockets and brake system.you should not feel any real noticeable drag when going from "loose" to "tight enough" in regards to the locknut alone.